Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Citizenship?

Citizenship?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Citizenship?

Postby Alpha9 » Sat 08.06.2005 2:44 am

こんにちは!
How long would someone have to stay in Japan before applying for citizenship? Or could someone just live there as long as they want? Would they have to apply for immigration or have to do anything special to live there as a citizen?

Plus how would one go about applying for citizenship?

ありがとうございます...
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 08.06.2005 11:33 am

5 years to apply for citizenship. And it's a long an tedious process. Check out Debito's page http://www.debito.org/naturalization.html for more information.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Spaztick » Sun 08.07.2005 10:51 am

Yea, I'd just beat the system and marry a Japanese girl. :p
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Alpha9 » Sun 08.07.2005 12:12 pm

Oh, so you could just marry a Japanese person and you automatically become a citizen?
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

Postby Christian_ » Sun 08.07.2005 1:07 pm

i think its like that in alot of places im pretty sure it is in the bahammas.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 08.07.2005 8:32 pm

from what i understand, even if you have a spousal visa, you still don't have the right of sufferage. but unless you don't come from a first world country, japanese citizenship sounds like a pretty drastic measure to me.
skrhgh3b

Postby Yuubokumin » Sun 08.07.2005 11:36 pm

What if you aren't especially fond of your first-world country, though?
あなたはおいしいです。 私はあなたを食べたい。
Yuubokumin

Postby kydancer0123 » Sun 08.07.2005 11:52 pm

Yuubokumin wrote:
What if you aren't especially fond of your first-world country, though?

Hahaha! Lol. I know what ya mean! USA....
*not too fond of...*
Hehe.;)
こんにちは, はじめまして!
また ね!
kydancer0123

Postby Alpha9 » Mon 08.08.2005 1:24 am

Yeah I am not too fond of said first world nation (USA), that is why I was wondering about the citizenship. I would gladly denounce my citizenship of the USA :D
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 08.08.2005 3:00 am

no one's fond of the usa. but japanese society as a whole is a very in-group oriented society. no matter how hard you try, you won't be accepted as one of their own if you were born in another country. i don't like it anymore than the next gaikokujin with a love of the far east, but that's the reality of present day japan, and it'll take more than our lifetime for that to change. my point is, you'll always be a minority without the full protections and rights of the majority. japan's not the new america, even if it desperately needs immigration. if one day you own your own land in japan, have an interratial family, and have no intention of ever returning home, you might consider citizenship, and more power to you... but it's a serious decision.
skrhgh3b

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 08.08.2005 4:23 pm

Don't diss the US because you don't like the guys in charge right now. Hopefully things will change for the better. At least here if we want to change things we can vote or run for office. In Japan you won't be able to change squat. Japan's great, and American Politics have really frustrated me, but Japanese politics is much crazier. Big political war going on in Japan now with the privatization of the post office. Most of you may be thinking "Big deal, the post office in the US isn't privatized either." The fact is, though, the Japanese Post is the largest financial institution in the world with assets of over $3 trillion. Privatizing that is a huge deal. The bill was just defeated in the Upper House so Koizumi just called snap elections for September. The 50-year reign of the LDP may end and real reform might never happen. In Japan progress moves at a snail's pace. They finally stopped using asbestos for insulating train cars just within the last few years. I guess that's one more benefit of Japan, given the asbestos class-action suits here, they're not so quick to sue.
Shibakoen

Postby Spaztick » Tue 08.09.2005 8:52 am

I'd agree with Shibakoen, you should'nt move to another country just because you don't like the first (and especially when you're living in the best country on the planet). Yea, you might be thinking that this country sucks, but wait until you travel around, you find out that we got it pretty good here; we're downright spoiled with our freedom, and we complain about what freedoms we don't have becuase we frankly have never known what it's like to not have it. Granted that there are downsides to living here, but the benefits outweigh the annoyances.

As for Japan, you could move there, but it would be to your benefit to keep your American citizenship, because Shibakoen is right, you can be integrated into society and still be "foreign." If you need an example, you could think of when the Irish came over here way back when, or if you want a modern day example, all of the immigrants from Mexico. I'm not predujice myself, but I still find it hard not to think of them as inferior because the came from another country and they don't speak a lot of English.

Okay, trying to wrap up what I've said, you can move there and love the country, but don't move to another country just because you dislike or hate another; what's to say you won't end up hating the political side of the next country?
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby raevin » Tue 08.09.2005 9:06 am

Spaztick wrote:
...you can move there and love the country, but don't move to another country just because you dislike or hate another; what's to say you won't end up hating the political side of the next country?

I totally agree with this.

If you move to a new country, you should do it because you are interested in that country, and not because you don't like how your current country is ran.

Is our government flawless? Heeeeeeck no. Is Japanese government flawless? Oh heeeeeeck no.

Why go somewhere that isn't much (if any) better politically (when that should be a major factor)?
raevin

Native language: English

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 08.09.2005 10:30 am

Spaztick wrote:
I'd agree with Shibakoen, you should'nt move to another country just because you don't like the first (and especially when you're living in the best country on the planet).

Are you really so ignorant and arrogant as to claim that the U.S. is the best country in the world? You have obviously never lived in Western Europe or Japan. 15% of your population or 43 million people don't even have health insurance, something required by law in most first world countries. Your wealth distribution is GROTESQUE. 20% of Americans hold 84% of the nation's wealth. You can imagine what is left for the bottom 20%. While America says the rich are rich because they earned all the money, other first world countries undertake measures of wealth redistribution to create a more equal society. With this economic data, your horrid crime rates aren't so much of a suprise anymore. I'm not even going to go into your hypocritical, more often than not illegal (according to international law, which is apparently something too hard to follow for such a righteous country) foreign policy because that is in the news enough that everyone should be aware of it. And by the way, even if you ignore all of what I just said, everyone tends to feel more comfortable in the country they grew up in the mostly because they understand the country and it's language well. But to claim that any one country is the best in the world, that is just arrogance and shows that you have no respect for other countries, their people, and their way of life.
Schattenjedi

Postby raevin » Tue 08.09.2005 12:29 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
Are you really so ignorant and arrogant as to claim that the U.S. is the best country in the world? You have obviously never lived in Western Europe or Japan. 15% of your population or 43 million people don't even have health insurance, something required by law in most first world countries. Your wealth distribution is GROTESQUE. 20% of Americans hold 84% of the nation's wealth. You can imagine what is left for the bottom 20%. While America says the rich are rich because they earned all the money, other first world countries undertake measures of wealth redistribution to create a more equal society. With this economic data, your horrid crime rates aren't so much of a suprise anymore. I'm not even going to go into your hypocritical, more often than not illegal (according to international law, which is apparently something too hard to follow for such a righteous country) foreign policy because that is in the news enough that everyone should be aware of it. And by the way, even if you ignore all of what I just said, everyone tends to feel more comfortable in the country they grew up in the mostly because they understand the country and it's language well. But to claim that any one country is the best in the world, that is just arrogance and shows that you have no respect for other countries, their people, and their way of life.

Woah nelly...back up there for a minute.

Maybe saying America is the greatest of the greats of the countries was a little arrogant, but America is one of the free-est [is that close to being a word?] countries in this century thus far.

I've lived in America for basically all my life, and I don't know if those facts are true (for today's lifestyle), but even if so, it doesn't mean America is the worst country. Yes, America has it's faults...but so does every other country. Maybe our president isn't the brightest crayon in the box, but he's starting to improve this country VERY slightly.

Yes, people do tend to feel more comfortable in the country they've lived in for (atleast) most of their lives. Can you blame them? I'm not going to say Germany is the Godsend of all countries, or that Germany is the worst place to live, because I've never lived there really. But I could voice my opinion on America, and it'd be more justifiable because I have more knowledge of this country, and am more comfortable talking about America.

...But to claim that any one country is the best in the world, that is just arrogance and shows that you have no respect for other countries, their people, and their way of life.

Like I said, maybe saying such things was a little arrogant, but you shouldn't belittle someone for their opinions. Saying that someone doesn't have respect for other countries, their people, and their way of life is just complete ignorance on your part.

Can you honestly, and validly, prove that this person has no respect for anyone but their own lfiestyle and such? Think about it, s/he helps many people learn Japanese and such...so, how can you say that s/he has no respect for foreign life?
raevin

Native language: English

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan