Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Quick Help

Quick Help

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Quick Help

Postby kilreli » Mon 08.08.2005 10:49 pm

Okay, heres my situation. Im a student who in 9 days (or august 17) to live in Japan (in the Saitama-ken prefecture for a year on a foreign exchange program. I know very little Japanese. I have Haragana right now but thats about all. Im not worrying about kanji quite yet and i have a friend who explained some on the sentence order/structure to me but im still pretty lost in it. My vocabulary...well...there isnt much of one. Can anyone suggest something for me to use that will at least help some for me (especially for the whole sentence part)? Maybe a few book suggestions would be nice also, but as of now i really dont have time to order a book. And dont worry, i know im a moron cause i put if off so long, but i could really use whatever help anyone can give. You can either post back or instant message me on msn. my msn is kilreli@gmail.com. Again, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
kilreli

RE: Quick Help

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 08.09.2005 1:25 am

you're going to be an exchange student for a whole year and you're barely a beginner? lucky you! so... are you doing it through your university or something? there's not much you can do with such little time, but now that you have hiragana down, start learning katakana. while you're living in japan without much japanese to fall back on, it'll be even more important to you than hiragana. also, you'll want a practical phrase book for those everyday expressions you'll find extremely useful. best of luck! がんばってくださいねぇ!
skrhgh3b

Postby kilreli » Tue 08.09.2005 11:41 am

yeah its pretty cool. i actually started getting into the language in 5th grade....but that didnt go far. I always wished to be a student in japan but never thought it could happen. so in my junior year of highschool a guy from an organization called Rotary same and talked about how people could go to different countries. i decided it was my last chance to i took it. but yeah, im not very good at it. but thanks for the advice. ill start katakana right now. also any more advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
kilreli

Postby kydancer0123 » Tue 08.09.2005 2:27 pm

Phrase books would really help. Your so lucky, you got me jealous!:)Katakana would be a really good thing to start leaerning next, though. Good luck!
こんにちは, はじめまして!
また ね!
kydancer0123

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems