Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Revelations and the use of ko

Revelations and the use of ko

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Revelations and the use of ko

Postby yankumi » Wed 08.10.2005 12:38 am

So, early on in my learning Japanese, I learned otoko no ko meant boy and onna no ko meant girl. Which at that time seemed odd that the words were so long. But now I understand that otoko is man, no signifies the relationship and ko refers to a child, which was a bit of a revelation in my understanding of the language, something I am rather enjoying as I learn more and more. However, I am curious as to why kitten would be ko neko, puppy is ko inu, rather than inu no ko and neko no ko. Is there a reason, or is it just--that's the way it is.
yankumi

RE: Revelations and the use of ko

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 08.10.2005 1:29 am

you know, you can often drop the no in otoko no ko and onna no ko. as you study more and more japanese, i think you'll discover it's a language as lazy as any other....
skrhgh3b

Postby yankumi » Wed 08.10.2005 1:54 am

well, I understand you can drop the no, but is there any significance in having ko follow or precede the noun? If I drop the no, I can say onna ko. But I am still saying ko neko, can I say ko onna? That does not seem correct. Again, is this a rule, or something that is just done? Or is it because one is an animal and one is human?
yankumi

Postby Spaztick » Wed 08.10.2005 10:06 am

I don't think you could say it like that, ko onna would be little woman, or child-woman, but for some strange reason it turns out it doesn't mean girl. Heck, maybe the Japanese figured it would be better to call a girl a woman's child instead of a childish woman. :-) I dunno.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN