Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Vivaldi gone wild

Vivaldi gone wild

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Vivaldi gone wild

Postby tanuki » Fri 02.23.2007 6:06 pm

Hello, people!

I don't usually play CDs directly from my computer, but today I wanted to listen to some music I didn't have as archives. I inserted a CD with some classical music, starting with Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". I chose to play it with Windows Media Player and "Spring" began as always. But there was something strange about the playlist. Apparently, Windows Media Player though it had recognized the author of the CD and put the names of all the tracks.

The weird thing was that the name for the beginning of Spring was...Smack My Bitch Up. :o Vivaldi was one naughty composer!

The other names were also weird. Autumn's second movement was called Funky Shit. Yeah, I also think autumn is funky with all the leaves and stuff...

Anyway, this got me wondering... Why on earth did that happen? I tried putting other CDs and that didn't happen. I put this CD again, and there were the weird names again. The CD is one of those promotional CDs that come with the newspaper, by the way.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Vivaldi gone wild

Postby guarana » Fri 02.23.2007 6:18 pm

If you are using windows media player, and you put in a CD that is not recognized, you are given the option to enter information about the album yourself. This information will be used by all other windows media users.

SO:
What probably happened is, some one else had put in your CD, which I suppose is relatively new, and windows did not recognize it so he entered silly names for it.
guarana

Postby tanuki » Fri 02.23.2007 6:21 pm

Interesting... By the way, [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_of_the_Land]this[/url] was the CD it was mistaken for. You can see the funky titles there. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Falka » Fri 02.23.2007 6:52 pm

Your Media Player simply mistook Vivaldi for The Prodigy. Vivaldi was a prodigy, indeed, and some people say Liam Howlett from The Prodigy is like an ingenious machine and classical composer in one. Maybe your MP thinks the same! :)
Falka

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 02.23.2007 8:44 pm

I remember a while ago Windows Media Player started making some weird suggestions about me downloading "DRM" licenses for my MP3's, at which point I blocked it from accessing the internet with my firewall and told it to stop updating. As far as I know, I think it's very difficult to remove it from the computer, since Microsoft knows what I want more than I do.

And I guess that wasn't exactly an explanation of your problem. Have you tried Winamp instead of Windows Media Player? Both Winamp and Itunes work pretty well for me. I think Winamp also tries to get CD information when you play a CD, so perhaps you'd have the same problem - all the same, I don't trust Windows Media Player.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 02.23.2007 9:24 pm

You mean, you have never smacked your bitch up in D minor with all four movements Tanuki?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby ess_jay_arr » Fri 02.23.2007 9:56 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
You mean, you have never smacked your bitch up in D minor with all four movements Tanuki?

Lol! :D I'd be lying if I said I wasn't gonna steal that line, or some variant of it at least. :P
ess_jay_arr

Postby Kdar » Fri 02.23.2007 10:16 pm

hehehe... That pretty funny.

I don't think any thing like this happened to me.
Kdar

Postby tanuki » Sat 02.24.2007 1:40 am

Falka wrote:
Your Media Player simply mistook Vivaldi for The Prodigy. Vivaldi was a prodigy, indeed, and some people say Liam Howlett from The Prodigy is like an ingenious machine and classical composer in one. Maybe your MP thinks the same! :)

That's a very interesting hypothesis. And a very interesting choice for a first post, I should add. :)

Kagemaru wrote:

You mean there are more than two movements? :o
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 02.24.2007 3:11 am

tanuki wrote:

Yes, and if you're British, cups of tea in between each of them.
Last edited by Kagemaru on Sat 02.24.2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagemaru

Postby Infidel » Sat 02.24.2007 3:23 am

crumpets?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 02.24.2007 4:04 am

interesting... the most likely explanation....

music CD's have a unique identifier per album. my guess is that since your CD was a 'promotional CD' from a newspaper or whatever, that they (or their CD mastering software) picked a random identifier that happened to be already in use by the Prodigy album. and Winblows probably has a lookup function of some sort that tries to identify the CD by the unique id. so it looked up the id and came back with a Prodigy album, and attempted to name the tracks on the CD as if they were playing from the Prodigy album.

winblows isn't my thing, but i would bet that you could find some disk information menu or some program that would pull the disk id from the CD, and if you looked up the id in the online databases... you would find a Prodigy CD that has the 'honest, this is me' right to the particular id.
zengargoyle

Postby tanuki » Sat 02.24.2007 9:33 am

Kagemaru wrote:
tanuki wrote:

Yes, and if you're British, cups of tea in between each of them.

That's...definitely something. I'm not British, so I'd prefer smoking a fag or two in between.

----

Anyway, thanks Zen for the explanation! Now I'm going back to my CD to listen to Baby got Bach. :p
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 02.24.2007 10:58 am

tanuki wrote:
Now I'm going back to my CD to listen to Baby got Bach. :p

Muahahaha that's gold....

You win :D
Kagemaru

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 02.24.2007 7:55 pm

tanuki wrote:
Now I'm going back to my CD to listen to Baby got Bach. :p

you know, that's not as odd as it sounds... a couple of years ago i was enthralled with the DJ/Mixup/Mashup scene, and i swear, somewhere in my mp3 collection is some good Classical mixed up with Electronica or Punk or Rap or something along those lines... but i searched and couldn't find them.

there's also a lot of Moog, Walter(Wendy) Carlos, Hooked on Classics type of music that can sound a lot like Prodigy... :)

the only thing i found close enough.. is here. there are a couple of Prodigy vs. Johnny Cash mixes that are the bomb.

update:
found it...
12. A plus D – Beethoven's Fifth Gold Digger (Kanye West vs. Beethoven vs. Walter Murphy) - San Francisco, USA
on Best of Bootie 2006.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Sat 02.24.2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Return to General off topic