Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hmm..

Hmm..

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hmm..

Postby Syeira » Wed 08.10.2005 9:37 am

The sad part is, I'm not even sure if I'm qualified to introduce myself. I can think of at least five people who know me better than I do... Ah, well! I'm actually trying to learn Japanese simply because I have nothing better to do before school starts up again, and I'm determined to get as much done as possible before I'm buried in AP class homework again. Somehow, I think Calculus BC will have to take precedence over Japanese, else I won't be able to show my face at graduation! (Not that I wanted to attend graduation in the first place... Maybe for college, but not this one.) Come to think of it, I may have a better Japanese-learning reason. My friend Yoshi is going to be graduating early (she's a year younger than me) so she can go to Japan... I might as well be able to use her as a study buddy over AIM when she goes. Oh my, I've said too much. Sorry for the rambling; I get out of control sometimes. ^^;;

P.S. (sorry) Hobbies include comic writing, website management, computer programming (C++ and Java), reading math textbooks, poetry, novel writing, solitaire, and mocking my little brother.
Syeira

RE: Hmm..

Postby Christian_ » Wed 08.10.2005 10:49 am

Hajimeshite, Welcome to the site.:)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 11:52 am

Nice to see ya on board ;) [no pun intended...but hey :D]

AP classes are a pain, but you can also learn Jap. while doing AP (try to think of what words will be in Jap. :D)

Helped me get through some of my AP classes, hehe.
raevin

Native language: English

Postby Syeira » Wed 08.10.2005 12:51 pm

Thinking of what words would be in Japanese might actually be helpful to learning it... At least in the case of my English class, that is. My other APs are mostly in the mathematics and computer science areas, so bothering to translate anything wouldn't get me anywhere. I suppose the best I could do would be an implementation of Japanese characters into a Java program... but that wouldn't help me learn anything. XD Thanks for raising my multitasking confidence, raevin.
Syeira

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 1:10 pm

Syeira wrote:
Thinking of what words would be in Japanese might actually be helpful to learning it... At least in the case of my English class, that is. My other APs are mostly in the mathematics and computer science areas, so bothering to translate anything wouldn't get me anywhere. I suppose the best I could do would be an implementation of Japanese characters into a Java program... but that wouldn't help me learn anything. XD Thanks for raising my multitasking confidence, raevin.

Hey, no problem.

Actually, if you do that in Java, it would...because you would recognize what the characters are...anything that involves using Japanese, helps...no matter what.

Don't be negative on this subject, hehe. Like I said, anything helps...so even if you do think that translating a problem in your math book or something is pointless, in the long run it'll just improve your skills. The most helpful seem to be the least significant (just my opinion).

Also, just post-it note everything that's within reach of your living place...then, instead saying something like "I'll go on the computer", say like, "computa iki" (don't quote me on this...I dunno what computer in Japanese is). It's actually very helpful.
raevin

Postby Syeira » Wed 08.10.2005 3:59 pm

Heh. You may be right. I'll try, thanks. =)
Syeira

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 5:48 pm

Syeira wrote:
Heh. You may be right. I'll try, thanks. =)

Welcome, and I wish you the best of luck in your quest :)

It's challenging, but rewarding at the same time.
raevin

Return to Introductions