Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Citizenship?

Citizenship?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Citizenship?

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 08.09.2005 4:45 pm

would it be possible to have USA and Japan citizenship? Im kinde of bored of the US but I still want to be part of my country.


although it's possible to hold dual citizenship in japan, it's also illegal. japan doesn't allow dual citizenship, and if the japanese government becomes aware of your dual citizenship, you're basically up shit creek.
skrhgh3b
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun 07.24.2005 3:57 am

RE: Citizenship?

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 08.09.2005 4:49 pm

Edited by Spaztick. <--aw, man! i've been censored lol
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 08.10.2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrhgh3b
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun 07.24.2005 3:57 am

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.10.2005 8:49 am

raevin wrote:
I've lived in America for basically all my life, and I don't know if those facts are true (for today's lifestyle), but even if so, it doesn't mean America is the worst country.


You obviously completely missed the point. I never claimed America was the worst country, only that it sure as hell isn't the best country.

raevin wrote:
Maybe our president isn't the brightest crayon in the box, but he's starting to improve this country VERY slightly.


If you call what's going on in America right now improvement, I wonder what you call decline. Do yourself a favor and stop getting your information from Fox News.

raevin wrote:
Yes, people do tend to feel more comfortable in the country they've lived in for (atleast) most of their lives. Can you blame them? I'm not going to say Germany is the Godsend of all countries, or that Germany is the worst place to live, because I've never lived there really. But I could voice my opinion on America, and it'd be more justifiable because I have more knowledge of this country, and am more comfortable talking about America.


I don't disagree.

raevin wrote:
Can you honestly, and validly, prove that this person has no respect for anyone but their own lfiestyle and such?


You tell me. Either he thinks everyone else is inferior in running their country or else that the people themselves are inferior.

skrhgh3b wrote:
Edited for content.


Oh, really? I think the British, Mongols, and Romans might have something to say about that. America isn't the first empire and it won't be the last one either. And realize that the hard tone wasn't an attack on anyone, but rather an eyeopener. Americans have this belief that is carved into them by their dogmatic culture and education that they are somehow superior to everyone else as "god's own country". Spaztick has shown that he is not so bad as he is learning about another culture and language but I think I speak for most Western Europeans and other citizens of developed countries when I say that comments stating that America is the best country in the world are absolute bullocks.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Wed 08.10.2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 08.10.2005 11:49 am

Dude, Germany's having some pretty major economic problems right now BECAUSE OF all those socialist programs you love so much. Massive unemployment because those at work are subsidizing those at home sitting on their butts. They've also got their fair number of scandals involving some big name companies, like Volswagen for one. And Britain sure isn't a paradise either. Forgetting the weather for a moment, they did invent soccer hooliganism. More and more British citizens are being monitored or outright banned from going to other countries to watch their teams play in the Champions' League, etc. There was even a pretty big article in the Economist last year about how robbery is so common as to be an art. And lets not forget the 20 years of IRA attacks and the current situation in London. In Tokyo, on the other hand, I feel very safe. I feel like I can walk around Kabukicho at 4am and not get hassled. As far as Nationalized Health Insurance, it's a hottly debated topic right now. Anyway, I have to go to work right now since I don't have one of your fancy Western-European socialist wealth redistribution systems to keep me at home on the couch. But as the Governator says, "I'll be back."
User avatar
Shibakoen
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon 03.28.2005 5:17 pm

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.10.2005 1:39 pm

I don't quite understand the point of your post, but I'll comment on your relevant comments anyway.

Shibakoen wrote:
Dude, Germany's having some pretty major economic problems right now BECAUSE OF all those socialist programs you love so much. Massive unemployment because those at work are subsidizing those at home sitting on their butts.


Good job explaining Unemployment for Dummies, now for the real reasons behind Germany's unemployment rate of 11%: After the fall of the wall in 1989 and the following reunification of Germany, there were many severe errors made in the economic planning and the estimates of how much it would cost to bring Communist East German economy up to the level of the West German economy. This was not suprising seeing as how this situation was unprecedented. Almost all of the East German companies went bankrupt which caused the unemployment rate in East Germany. There are no short term answers for this and Germany has been battling to fix the problem for the last 15 years by making the locations more attractive for businesses and offering all kinds of incentives and money for businesses who operate there. But like I said, it's a long term problem. Secondly, there is lots of restructuring going on to adapt to globalisation such as laxing up the Kündigungsschutz and moving to a more service oriented economy. Thirdly, the European economic zone was just widened last year to cover 10 new European countries. This has increased the competition ten-fold and caused more jobs to be lost to East Europe. The good news is, reforms are being passed and the outlook is bright that the high unemployment will be conquered.

Shibakoen wrote:
They've also got their fair number of scandals involving some big name companies, like Volswagen for one.


Don't forget the new one with DaimlerChrysler.

Shibakoen wrote:
And Britain sure isn't a paradise either. Forgetting the weather for a moment, they did invent soccer hooliganism. More and more British citizens are being monitored or outright banned from going to other countries to watch their teams play in the Champions' League, etc.


Are you trying to suggest that being football-crazy is a fault of Britain? I'd say quite the opposite!

Shibakoen wrote:
There was even a pretty big article in the Economist last year about how robbery is so common as to be an art. And lets not forget the 20 years of IRA attacks and the current situation in London.


It would be interesting to see a comparison of the number of people killed by IRA attacks or any violent crimes for that matter in Britain, and the people killed by random/gang/racial gun attacks in America, adjusted for population and all that. hmm hmm hmm.

Shibakoen wrote:
In Tokyo, on the other hand, I feel very safe. I feel like I can walk around Kabukicho at 4am and not get hassled.


Don't know where that is but nevertheless I'm glad to hear it since I plan to go to Japan someday and well, it's nice to feel safe.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: Citizenship?

Postby raevin » Wed 08.10.2005 2:19 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
raevin wrote:
I've lived in America for basically all my life, and I don't know if those facts are true (for today's lifestyle), but even if so, it doesn't mean America is the worst country.


You obviously completely missed the point. I never claimed America was the worst country, only that it sure as hell isn't the best country.

No, I did not miss the point. I never made the claim that you said America is the worst country, but the way you worded your statement, it sounded like you think America isn't even close to being good.

Schatternjedi decided to do another flame by saying:
raevin wrote:
Maybe our president isn't the brightest crayon in the box, but he's starting to improve this country VERY slightly.


If you call what's going on in America right now improvement, I wonder what you call decline. Do yourself a favor and stop getting your information from Fox News.

Okay, do me a favor first...what is America doing wrong? Yes, we got into a war...don't give me that excuse. America has just recently signed a bill (thus, making it into a law incase you don't know how our system works), making it that solar energy will be more of our country's energy source...thus lowering the prices of our current electricity bills...and no long a need to import other sources and whatnot.

Schatternjedi decided to do another flame by saying:
raevin wrote:
Yes, people do tend to feel more comfortable in the country they've lived in for (atleast) most of their lives. Can you blame them? I'm not going to say Germany is the Godsend of all countries, or that Germany is the worst place to live, because I've never lived there really. But I could voice my opinion on America, and it'd be more justifiable because I have more knowledge of this country, and am more comfortable talking about America.


I don't disagree.

Well then, I'm glad we are on the same page finally...and yet, it doesn't last long...

Schatternjedi decided to do another flame by saying:
raevin wrote:
Can you honestly, and validly, prove that this person has no respect for anyone but their own lfiestyle and such?


You tell me. Either he thinks everyone else is inferior in running their country or else that the people themselves are inferior.

Explain how? You make these statements, but can't support what you say...why should I bother supporting my case when you can even support yours? What you replied to me with, is the same vague, unsupported statement you made the first time. You tell me to stop getting my information from FOX News [which I don't watch anyways]...start supporting your "facts" (and I use that term VERY loosely based upon how valid they seem to be). You are not making a valid case for your own "perfect" views.

America isn't great, but America, just like your Germany...has flaws...so get over it, get over yourself, and get over your lies, because they are doing nothing but exploiting your ignorance.
raevin
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 04.20.2005 8:28 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Citizenship?

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 08.10.2005 6:05 pm

this thread is getting way off topic, but if anyone here thinks that fleeing to japan is the way to escape their country's problems, they're living in a toonami fueled fantasy land.

In Tokyo, on the other hand, I feel very safe. I feel like I can walk around Kabukicho at 4am and not get hassled.


while i was in tokyo a couple of months ago, a yakuza friend of a friend treated me to tempura and sushi on what i later learned was a stolen credit card. so here's hoping the criminals are as kind to you as they were me ;)
skrhgh3b
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun 07.24.2005 3:57 am

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 08.10.2005 10:25 pm

Schattenjedi, it's just impossible to compare deaths committed by IRA attacks to shooting deaths in the US for the very fact that guns are legal in the US and are not, to my knowledge, in England. Fox hunting isn't even legal there anymore (nor should it be). Unfortunately, because of the current administration it is even possible to buy automatic weapons here. The assault weapons ban expired, and the Repulican led Congress hasn't brought it up to be renewed. But the whole point of my original statement was that I can, and do, work to change policies (especially foreign policies) that displease me here. The easiest way is by voting, but I can also run for office if I so choose.

In fact, the biggest thing that displeases me is this anti-Americanism not only abroad but here in the US. I also don't like the arrogant, "I'm an American so I can do anything I want" attitude popular with so many of the Fox News crowd. So many people see the US as a bunch of rednecks because our current President is, well, the way he is. I'm just telling those people who posted earlier in this thread that it's not a good idea to move to another country just because they don't like the current political climate. They'll probably find things there that they dislike even more and since they'd be American expats, there'd really be nothing they could do about it. Just because they move to another country doesn't mean they'll enter some political void.

Honestly, I hope both Japan and Germany are granted permanent seats in the UN Security Council, but in light of the scandals and the fact that the UN has been unable to do anything to stop nuclear proliferation or to end the continued conflict in Israel, I really don't see what relevance the institution will have in the future. It's a real shame. I just wish the UN had some sort of method of enforcing its own declarations. I mean the UN passed so many resolutions condemning Sadaam Hussein, but couldn't do anything to protect the thousands he gassed. They continue to be helpless when it comes to the situation in Darfur, AIDS is still a major health problem, and major governments including China are still able to put curbs on the basic freedoms that allow you and I to debate these things. Bush's appointment to the UN is a slap in the face to everyone, and thankfully he'll be out in 18 months. Anyway, do you think Ms. Merkel will become Chancellor? Just curious.
User avatar
Shibakoen
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon 03.28.2005 5:17 pm

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.11.2005 10:13 am

raevin wrote:
I've lived in America for basically all my life, and I don't know if those facts are true (for today's lifestyle), but even if so, it doesn't mean America is the worst country.

No, I did not miss the point. I never made the claim that you said America is the worst country, but the way you worded your statement, it sounded like you think America isn't even close to being good.


Then what was the point of saying "but even if so, it doesn't mean America is the worst country."??? Who were you trying to enlighten there? Yourself?
How am I supposed to respond to such an ambigious statement like this:
raevin wrote:
it sounded like you think America isn't even close to being good.

Learn how to articulate yourself.

raevin wrote:
Okay, do me a favor first...what is America doing wrong? Yes, we got into a war...don't give me that excuse.


Wow, you are truly thick. I think I've answered that question quite thoroughly in previous posts in this thread. So your country having the blood of 24,000 iraqi civilians on it's hands is just an "excuse" to you?

raevin wrote:
Yes, we got into a war...don't give me that excuse. America has just recently signed a bill (thus, making it into a law incase you don't know how our system works), making it that solar energy will be more of our country's energy source...thus lowering the prices of our current electricity bills...and no long a need to import other sources and whatnot.


Are you trying to suggest that America went to war in Iraq because of oil? Interesting that you made the correlation before I did. Because of this bill America isn't going to need to import any more resources? Get a grip on reality.

raevin wrote:
Schatternjedi decided to do another flame by saying:
I don't disagree.



lölll, aren't you ingenious.

raevin wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:
You tell me. Either he thinks everyone else is inferior in running their country or else that the people themselves are inferior.

Explain how? You make these statements, but can't support what you say...why should I bother supporting my case when you can even support yours? What you replied to me with, is the same vague, unsupported statement you made the first time. You tell me to stop getting my information from FOX News [which I don't watch anyways]...start supporting your "facts" (and I use that term VERY loosely based upon how valid they seem to be). You are not making a valid case for your own "perfect" views.


Sorry, but I honestly don't know how to break it up any clearer for you. As far as my factual basis is concerned, I'll assume you're referring to the sources of the numbers I listed earlier. Here you go:

http://www.cbpp.org/9-30-03health.htm
http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/facult ... wealth.htm

I'd appreciate it if you don't provide any further "input" to this thread because I really can't be arsed to read any more of your mental diarrhea.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.11.2005 10:42 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Schattenjedi, it's just impossible to compare deaths committed by IRA attacks to shooting deaths in the US for the very fact that guns are legal in the US and are not, to my knowledge, in England.


I think it's a worthy comparison for showing the advantage of stricter gun laws.

Shibakoen wrote:
In fact, the biggest thing that displeases me is this anti-Americanism not only abroad but here in the US. I also don't like the arrogant, "I'm an American so I can do anything I want" attitude popular with so many of the Fox News crowd. So many people see the US as a bunch of rednecks because our current President is, well, the way he is. I'm just telling those people who posted earlier in this thread that it's not a good idea to move to another country just because they don't like the current political climate. They'll probably find things there that they dislike even more and since they'd be American expats, there'd really be nothing they could do about it. Just because they move to another country doesn't mean they'll enter some political void.


I think the obvious path to take there is to try living in another country for at least a year so you can compare the situation in that country and in your home country. It's really an invaluable experience.

Shibakoen wrote:
Honestly, I hope both Japan and Germany are granted permanent seats in the UN Security Council, but in light of the scandals and the fact that the UN has been unable to do anything to stop nuclear proliferation or to end the continued conflict in Israel, I really don't see what relevance the institution will have in the future. It's a real shame. I just wish the UN had some sort of method of enforcing its own declarations. I mean the UN passed so many resolutions condemning Sadaam Hussein, but couldn't do anything to protect the thousands he gassed. They continue to be helpless when it comes to the situation in Darfur, AIDS is still a major health problem, and major governments including China are still able to put curbs on the basic freedoms that allow you and I to debate these things. Bush's appointment to the UN is a slap in the face to everyone, and thankfully he'll be out in 18 months. Anyway, do you think Ms. Merkel will become Chancellor? Just curious.


I share the same concerns about the UN as you do. The German aspiration for a Security Council seat is really unnecessary right now. When the EU finally gets a common foreign policy, all the European seats will be replaced by one EU seat. But the common foreign policy probably isn't going to come for at least another decade. And when it does come I'm not very optimistic that Britain will agree to be part of it. Their mentality is still too independent and colonialistic.

While China and Russia make it impossible for the UN to accomplish anything meaningful, they also make it quite interesting and provide a different perspective on the world. For example, China is currently building up some really good relationships with a whole lot of countries from all regions of the world, and especially their neighbors (with the notable exception of Japan). China concentrates on economic cooperation and leaves humans rights and the rest to the domestic politics of countries. This approach has delivered many flourishing partnerships for China, which the U.S. has no access to because of it's ideology. And even the U.S. and EU turn their back on human rights and stuff if the stakes are right...the prime example being Saudi Arabia. In the next few decades I see pragmatic foreign politics replacing ideological ones. Iraq and China's success being the main reasons.

There are too many unknown factors to say if Frau Merkel will become Chancellor. The TV debate being one, and the unemployment statistics for July (the last ones before the elections) being another. Personally I hope Schröder wins. The current economic problems were created under CDU/CSU control of the country and now they act as if everything is the SPD's fault. Plus I'm a fan of Schröder's foreign policy (exception: Turkey joining the EU)...as you could probably guess.
Schattenjedi
 

RE: Citizenship?

Postby Spaztick » Thu 08.11.2005 1:23 pm

Okay, this topic is getting a little hot, I don't appreciate flaming, but at least you guys can keep it to a minimum, but I doubt anyone here with a subjective opinion is going to get any benefit from reading this.

In short, topic closed.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
User avatar
Spaztick
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue 01.25.2005 7:04 pm

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests