The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Some comments about JLPT

Postby Infidel » Wed 03.07.2007 9:04 pm

chchan45 wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:
chchan45 wrote:
First of all, there is not much difference between air and surface mail

Nonsense.

This is not a very polite reply. I suspect somebody is getting worked up after a long week.

Sending a 100g document to Japan costs £1.02 by surface mail and £2.31 by air mail. Multiply the difference by two and you end up paying £2.58 for getting your results 6 weeks earlier, (assuming surface mail takes 1 month to get there, and air mail takes 1 week).

£2.58 does not even buy me a sandwich at lunchtime.

So in other words. Yudan was right. The claim that there isn't much difference between air and surface is nonsense. It's about a 1 month difference. Ergo, 2 months both ways. Sounds like a pretty big difference to me.

And if you take that extra £1.56 and multiply it by the number of people taking the test you end up with a pretty significant number.

There's nothing impolite about pointing out nonsence.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 03.07.2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AussieB » Wed 03.07.2007 9:22 pm

Suraface mail or air mail - regardless I still should have gotten my results by now!
I swear I could have sailed a yacht from Japan to Australia faster that the 14 weeks that it has taken me NOT to get my results!
Last edited by AussieB on Wed 03.07.2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieB

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 03.07.2007 10:10 pm

Don't they email your results to you as well? I got my results by email almost a week before I got them by mail. I guess it depends on how you registered. Idk...
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Tajoumaru » Wed 03.07.2007 10:20 pm

PsychoSP wrote:
Tajoumaru wrote:
Talk about rude. Apologize immediately, sir! :@

As immediately as you demanded an apology? That gives him a good 3 months.

That's ok. I have infinite patience.
Tajoumaru

Postby AussieB » Wed 03.07.2007 10:49 pm

The place that runs the JLPT in Melbourne doesn't seem to be advanced enough to understand email... I tried calling them and they don't even have an aswering machine so I think they are a little behind in their technology....
Also, I think they moved offices recently, maybe all the results went to their old office and the don't know about mail forwarding...

Unlike Tajoumaru I don't have infinite patience!~
AussieB

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.08.2007 4:28 am

keatonatron wrote:
They expect you to fail horribly and then write some exchange-student essay about how Japanese is so hard for Westerners to understand. That's where they get their satisfiaction.

Them and me both. =)

While I do agree with some of the gripes of the OP (mostly because I'm horribly impatient, and hate being able to take the test only once a year), I do understand the economic necessities of it.

As for the test not being a good judge of skill / too hard, etc -- There are a few other Japanese tests that fill in those blanks. I suggest trying them.

I would also make some smarmy comment about people who don't have time to finish the reading not being up to snuff to pass that level, but my friend passed 1kyuu this year even though he ran out of time on the reading.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Tajoumaru » Thu 03.08.2007 4:27 pm

Quick question: is there a baseline "passing" percentage grade for all the tests? I.e., does one need to score, say, 75% to qualify as "passing" each JLPT?
Tajoumaru

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 03.08.2007 4:30 pm

It's 60% or higher for levels 4, 3 and 2 and its 70% or higher for level 1.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.08.2007 8:56 pm

It's 60% or higher for levels 4, 3 and 2 and its 70% or higher for level 1.

Which is actually one of my biggest gripes with the test. ;)

I would prefer something like the JETRO or TOEIC where you get a point score instead of a solid pass/fail. But then again, I can always just take the JETRO
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby soranoraito » Wed 07.04.2007 7:19 pm

chchan45 wrote:
1. The examination does not test speaking and writing skills. If you just study for the examination and nothing else, you will be brilliant at reading and listening, but hopeless at speaking and writing (like me).

Yeah, I think they should test all areas because reading and listening doesn't exactly equal fluency...at least to me.
I mean,it's great if you can understand a language,but what good is it if you can barely speak it? i dunno...
it would also be very costly to individually sit down and test people's speaking and writing skills too, so that's most likely why they don't.

3. At the moment you can only take one level on the day. Why don't they stagger the examination times a bit? For example, have level 4 first thing in the morning, then 3, 2 and 1 in that order. This will allow people who want a "backup" to take more than one level on the same day - increased number of takers and revenue.

I dunno about that. 10 hours or so of testing sounds extremely tedious to me. yeah,sure it would be great if you could just finish the test quickly and get it over with, but you can only do but so much at a time before you burn out.

4. Why is the examination only held once a year? The Japanese examination for university students is already held twice per year.

Maybe they should hold it more than once a year. That would make it way more convenient for some people.

6. The reading comprehension part for JLPT L1 is madness. Do they honestly expect us to finish it in 70 minutes (assuming that you only spend 20 minutes on the grammar)?

Well, being able to read proficiently is a part of all around fluency and understanding. They want to make sure that you truly are proficient. You just gotta work hard! :D
soranoraito

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Thu 07.05.2007 12:43 pm

Din't noticed of this post till recently. Below are my personal opinion. No offence.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
When I took JLPT 1, I had plenty of time left over on the reading section. One big mistake you can make is to focus mostly on kanji and neglect the other aspects of the test. When I was studying for the JLPT 1, I did some math and figured out the relative weights of the various types of questions on the test. I forget the exact numbers, but the percentage of points based on questions that asked *direct* questions about kanji (i.e. "what's the reading" or "what kanji is used to write this word") was only about 8%.

(BTW, if you do that math yourself you can also see that by far the best place to cram is in the grammar section.)

Hey! I personally think that's a smart strategy especially when u have limited time. Time management is very important in tests and examinations.

chchan45: I believe they have tried shortening the time needed to mark all the answers. Coz dun forget that this is an international examination, hence you should also note the total number of ppl taking the JLPT. Also, do not forget that they also need time to key in the data after the markings are over. Oh yah! i forgot, there are also possibilities that there are more than one marker. You may say that it is MCQ so machines can do all the work. So again, how perfect are those machine? I doubt those machines are 100% error free.

With regards to your 'stagger the examination time', hmm just curious why would u want to take JLPT level 4 when u know you are able to meet the requirement for JLPT level 3?
Last edited by terence_hideyoshi on Thu 07.05.2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terence_hideyoshi

Previous

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test