Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - First paragraph of an essay.

First paragraph of an essay.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

First paragraph of an essay.

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 03.12.2007 4:24 pm

For an English assignment, I had to write a Cause-Effect essay on anything. I chose the effects of learning a new language; while typing up the final draft, I thought that it would make great practice to translate it to Japanese. Here's the first paragraph:

人類はたくさんな言語を毎日話します。我々の耳が身近ないくつかのに、風変わりです。問わず知覚、言語を学ぶには有利があります。文化的な会や就業機会や精神的な勧奨です。

There are thousands of languages spoken everyday by mankind; some of them are familiar to our ears, while others sound like complete gibberish. Regardless of how we perceive a language, learning another one has its advantages: cultural understanding, job opportunities, and mental stimulation.

I know it needs some work, but I think I got the same message across.
Last edited by Teh_Freak on Sat 03.17.2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

RE: First paragraph of an essay.

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 03.12.2007 4:28 pm

Since this is an essay, it might be better to use the である form of the copula instead of です. It makes it sound more formal/intelligent/speech-like.

Though I'm not 100% sure if である is preferable in this situation so let's just wait for someone else to come by and respond :)
Last edited by flammable hippo on Mon 03.12.2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 03.17.2007 2:22 am

Hmm, anyone else have any suggestions or comments?
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby trabia-wind » Sat 03.17.2007 2:27 am

well, i have a suggestion.. but it's about the english part. irregardless -> regardless xD
trabia-wind

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 03.17.2007 3:13 pm

Eh, thats one of those points in my own language I don't really get (the fact they don't really go over it in class also surprises me). Anyway, its fixed now... just doesn't sound right.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby trabia-wind » Sat 03.17.2007 4:50 pm

idk. i think people are like "regardless sounds bad, why don't i just randomly add another syllable" so now lots of people think it's right.. when it's not.. =P but yep, nothing to do with jp at all, so i'll shut up now.
trabia-wind

Postby coco » Tue 03.20.2007 9:58 pm

たくさん言語 → たくさんの言語
身近な → 耳に馴染みのある (→ 聞き慣れた)
some of them / while others ← I guess you missed these.
regardless of 〜 → 〜にかかわらず
how ← you missed this
advantages → generally 有利 is used as な adjective. Try to find another word.
文化的な会 → I guess you just dropped ri(+kai = 理解)
奨励 → WWWJDIC says ↓
奨励 【しょうれい】 (n,vs) encouragement; promotion; message; address; (P); EP

もう一度書き直すと ずっとよくなると思いますよ。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Infidel » Tue 03.20.2007 10:38 pm

Eh, thats one of those points in my own language I don't really get (the fact they don't really go over it in class also surprises me). Anyway, its fixed now... just doesn't sound right.

irreguardless = colloquial speech. It's too informal for written English. It sounds wrong because you are still thinking in spoken dialect.

From Webster
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Just as dearu can be better than desu for a written essay in Japanese, similar constructs that are acceptable in spoken English are avoided in written English.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 03.20.2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)