Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Transportation in Japan

Transportation in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Transportation in Japan

Postby DeathstarX » Fri 08.12.2005 12:38 pm

HeyoZ all! I'm going to Japan at the end of the year for a vacation, and I don't really want to follow a tour (you know how they tend to rush people through places...)...so I was thinking of how I could get around on my own.

I heard of the railway system but I am er... let's say a little confused as to how the rail pass works. Would anyone be kind enough to elucidate? Oh yes, I will be going with my grandparents and uncle. So...I'm also a little worried about us getting separated.

Are there any other better ways to get around in Japan?

I think we are going to visit Tokyo and Kyoto.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. ^^ Arigato gozaimasu!
=Faith Is Hard To Find...And Even Harder To Keep=
DeathstarX

RE: Transportation in Japan

Postby Binsento » Fri 08.12.2005 2:55 pm

What have you heard about the railwaysytem?
It is by far the most efficient transportation system i have ever experienced.
Trains are rarely late and the staff is extremely helpfull.
Even if they don't speak english they will get help for you.
I once had as many as 10 people standing around me trying to help me. Trainstation managers, conductors, cleaners and even someone from a nearby shop were all gathering around me to help the clueless gaijin, hehe.

You won't have any problems.

This is the english site for info about the Railpass, when you plan on traveling a lot, it's a must buy.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/
Binsento

Postby DeathstarX » Sat 08.13.2005 2:32 am

Well, I heard that it can get really really packed. haha. I'm worried about all the pushing and shoving because I'll be going with my grandparents as well...and er...senior citizens are...fragile, you know. ^^;

And thanks for the website! I'll plough through it to try to better understand the rail pass thingie. ^^
=Faith Is Hard To Find...And Even Harder To Keep=
DeathstarX

Postby Mukade » Sun 08.14.2005 12:26 pm

DeathstarX wrote:
Well, I heard that it can get really really packed. haha. I'm worried about all the pushing and shoving because I'll be going with my grandparents as well...and er...senior citizens are...fragile, you know. ^^;

Well, just don't go during rush hour and you'll be fine. ;)
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby mithrila » Sun 08.14.2005 7:36 pm

So...you'll be using the rail pass?

*TAKE HEED YOUNG PADAWAN* Do NOT under any circumstance loose or otherwise destroy your rail pass. Mine went through the wash, and *they wouldn't give me a new one*:@ despite the fact that I had the pieces and a reciept. So 400 bucks down the drain and I still had half the trip to go, which included 4 shinkansen rides...(My wallet is bleeding).

On the topic of the busy-ness of the trains...They're not too bad if you're going in the middle of the day, or *really* early or late. However, be prepared to stand a lot. When you use the rail pass, you just show your open rail pass to the guy in the booth on the far side of the ticket area (It'll say wheelchair only if that helps). The trains are punctual, and the different stops are written in kanji and romaji at the stations, so you can just write down how many stops you have to go.

Hope this helps!
Best blond moment (said to a Japanese person):

\"Can you understand Anime without the subtitles on?\"

*sigh* I wish I could claim that one!
mithrila

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan