Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to write Japanese with your keyboard?

How to write Japanese with your keyboard?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How to write Japanese with your keyboard?

Postby toni » Fri 08.12.2005 12:47 pm

I'd like to know how you can type Japanese with your keyboard? My keyboard can't do that miracle. Do I have to download a program or get a whole new keyboard with both romaji and hiragana, katakana and kanji? (I'm sick of copying and pasting...)
toni

RE: How to write Japanese with your keyboard?

Postby AaRoN » Fri 08.12.2005 12:53 pm

you have to downoad a program but i can tremember wat it is called
sry
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby DeathstarX » Fri 08.12.2005 1:15 pm

actually you don't have to.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dow ... fault.mspx

I am not sure if that's the exact page I went to when I first tried this out. haha. I just typed 'typing Japanese in windows' in google. You don't have to buy or download any program, you just need to 'activate' the jap input thingie in your computer. most computers would have it (unless you chose not to install when you first set up your OS).
=Faith Is Hard To Find...And Even Harder To Keep=
DeathstarX

Postby toni » Fri 08.12.2005 3:38 pm

ありがとう! :D :D
toni

Postby skrhgh3b » Fri 08.12.2005 5:03 pm

switch to mac and japanese (and dozens of other languages) will already be built into your operating system. of course, this is the least of your reasons to leave microsoft, but i'll rub it in anyway. i could run everything in japanese with a simple trip to the system preferences if only i understood more kanji ;)
skrhgh3b

Postby Daichi » Sat 08.13.2005 5:55 am

skrhgh3b wrote:
switch to mac and japanese (and dozens of other languages) will already be built into your operating system.

Linux is also more flexible when it comes to languages other than US English.
Daichi

Postby toni » Sat 08.13.2005 6:03 am

I'm gonna change my computer to a mac after my Windows ME (and equally old computer) have crashed for the last time...can't hardly wait!
toni

Postby kempokatt » Sat 08.13.2005 8:13 am

Windows XP supports any language too - No need to download anything that I know of...and if there is something needed it can be downloaded on demand when you try to activate it.

I've used MAC OSX and all versions of Windows since 3.1

I will not try to sway anyone to one OS or Computer because it really doesn't matter to me what "you" use...it's what I use that matters to me!

OSX is nice and "cool" but I still prefer Windows - Apple computers just aren't as easily (or cheaply) expanded/upgraded as Windows boxes. I've never used Linux but if I had a choice between a MAC or a Linux system, I'd go with Linux for the same reasons as Windows.

If want to be able to type in another language with XP just follow these instructions:

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Progr ... on_XP.html

Enjoy. (This question gets asked about a billion times a day....does anyone research for themselves at all?)
kempokatt

Postby toni » Sat 08.13.2005 8:53 am

I actually don't know anyone (in real life, flesh and blood, not kilobytes and IPs) who uses linux. Windows is the popular one but I believe mac is better because it has less quirks and is more reliable (doesn't get affected by viruses, spyware or other icky stuff -but this is my humble opinion. I'm no computer expert, you know.)

And XP is really good! Our school computers have it and I love it. XP is way better than anything so far! :D
toni

Postby DeathstarX » Sat 08.13.2005 12:39 pm

Lol. Let's not embark on 'which OS is better' discussion. I think each of us have our own reasons for using the OS we are using now. And each OS has its merits...and flaws. So...to each his own. ^^
=Faith Is Hard To Find...And Even Harder To Keep=
DeathstarX

Postby skrhgh3b » Sat 08.13.2005 6:18 pm

microsoft, including xp, is a security nightmare. surfing the net with internet explorer on xp is like having anonymous sex without a condom. apple isn't without its faults, but mac os x is an increadibly stable and user-friendly operating system. i guess i've used both windows and os 9 and x for a while now, but now that os x has come as far along as it has, i can't imagine ever personally using windows again. i can't make any comments on linux, however. i've never used it or seen it. but os x basically makes a unix system user-friendly for non-geeks like myself (and not for lack of time infront of a computer).

as far as the os discussion... it's window's fault for making "how do i view japanese?" and "how do i type japanese?" a question that never goes away.
skrhgh3b

Postby Mariya » Sat 08.13.2005 7:28 pm

skrhgh3b wrote:
microsoft, including xp, is a security nightmare. surfing the net with internet explorer on xp is like having anonymous sex without a condom. apple isn't without its faults, but mac os x is an increadibly stable and user-friendly operating system. i guess i've used both windows and os 9 and x for a while now, but now that os x has come as far along as it has, i can't imagine ever personally using windows again. i can't make any comments on linux, however. i've never used it or seen it. but os x basically makes a unix system user-friendly for non-geeks like myself (and not for lack of time infront of a computer).

as far as the os discussion... it's window's fault for making "how do i view japanese?" and "how do i type japanese?" a question that never goes away.

Oh my god, that'll make me laugh for days to come. You really hate Windows, huh? I have to live with it though. It really is a pain >.<. I've never tried Linux or Mac. :o
Mariya

Postby Spaztick » Sat 08.13.2005 11:19 pm

I've tried all three, and I prefer them in the following order, not to say that one is better than any other (even though I think it is):

Mac OS X/Tiger
Linux RedHat
Microsoft Windows

I think Linux and Mac are really close; I love Linux because its open source, which basically means you can get anything Linux for free, and its compatable with both Windows and Mac. Macintosh I love because its extremely stable, and is impossible (almost) to get viruses and spyware on it unless you're at the terminal. I've used Macs just because of thier high queality, although you are paying for what you get.

My 1.83 yen, according to the world currency.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Christian_ » Sat 08.13.2005 11:39 pm

hi i followed some instructions and i sucessfully got the language bar and it works its just i made the input hiragana so im supposed to get hiragana and it gives me katakana, also its incorrect i will now type CHI and KA, ソクニ ノチ thats what i got from typing CHI and KA respectively. if im not mistaken it says nkuni and nochi instead of CHI and KA. can anyone tell me whats wrong? its not even in hiragana i switched to katakana and that didnt make it hiragana either so im at hiragana typing messed up katakana, please help lol.:|PS: i also dont know how to type kanji and switch from hiragana to katakana to kanji but i guess that doesnt matter yet until i fix my problem any help is appreciated thanks:)
Last edited by Christian_ on Sat 08.13.2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 08.14.2005 12:48 am

Oh my god, that'll make me laugh for days to come. You really hate Windows, huh? I have to live with it though. It really is a pain >.<. I've never tried Linux or Mac.

nah, i don't care enough about it to feel any hate. besides, hate is a strong word best reserved for more important things like the bush administration.
skrhgh3b

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips