Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Daily diary log in Japanese, practise.

Daily diary log in Japanese, practise.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Daily diary log in Japanese, practise.

Postby richvh » Thu 03.01.2007 10:50 pm

It's ではありませんでした, not でわありませんでした. And in the case of your second sentence, I think it should be: 朝ご飯(あさごはん)はありませんでした。 (This means, "there wasn't breakfast"; your sentence means "it wasn't breakfast.")

じゅにち⇒藷?栫iじゅうにじ)*
よん⇒四時(よじ)*
That sentence has a few other problems (missing the motion verb for taking the bus, for instance.) My version:
バスで都心(としん)に行って(いって)、藷?栫iじゅうにじ)から四時(よじ)まで働きました(はたらきました)。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby caroline » Fri 03.02.2007 5:32 am

あさ ごはん は なにも 食(た)べませんでした。"I didn't eat anything for breakfast " sounds better, though it may imply that you could have had something to drink. And I think that Rich's version for your final sentence is more correct.
Last edited by caroline on Fri 03.02.2007 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby Jim » Tue 03.06.2007 1:33 am

Cheers for correcting the spelling mistakes.

Haven't learnt たらきました, I take it that it means something similar to かえりました? As in to return to something? Not sure what いって means either if you could help me out with that.

Also, I'm currently trying to prepare for my oral exam in 2 weeks where I have to talk about myself. I'm trying to say "I am Irish but I live in England". Would this be correct?:

私はアイルランド人でも私のうち(?)に英国です.

It doesnt feel right, and I can't find a better word for "current residence" so I just put down "house/home", as if my current home is in England. Also I know that the second 私 is redundent because its obvious I am talking about myself, however "でものうち" doesnt look right to me..... any suggestions?
Last edited by Jim on Tue 03.06.2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby richvh » Tue 03.06.2007 8:02 am

Haven't learnt たらきました, I take it that it means something similar to かえりました? As in to return to something? Not sure what いって means either if you could help me out with that.

It's not たらきました, it's はたらきました, and it's the same verb you used - "worked". いって in this case is the -te form of いく, to go. See Tae Kim on -te form to form compound sentences.

Also, I'm currently trying to prepare for my oral exam in 2 weeks where I have to talk about myself. I'm trying to say "I am Irish but I live in England". Would this be correct?:

私はアイルランド人でも私のうち(?)に英国です.

It doesnt feel right, and I can't find a better word for "current residence" so I just put down "house/home", as if my current home is in England. Also I know that the second 私 is redundent because its obvious I am talking about myself, however "でものうち" doesnt look right to me..... any suggestions?

Try:
私はアイアランド人ですが、今英国に住んでいます。
わたしはアイアランドじんですが、いまえいこくにすんでいます。
Though I think イギリス is more commonly used than 英国.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Jim » Tue 03.06.2007 9:50 am

Heh, I didn't notice the は. that explains a lot actually. And thanks for the correction on my sentence, I take it にすん means residence? Writing that particular correction down on my notes now.

Have heard different stories from different people in regards to using 英国 or イギリス though I did take for granted that since it translates directly into Igirisu > English that it would sound weird, I guess it doesn't.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby Delekii » Tue 03.06.2007 10:43 am

住む(すむ) is to abide or to live in
住んでいる > te form + いる means an ongoing state of doing something. If you don't know about て form, read here, it gets used a lot.

食べる > to eat
食べている > eating
飲む > to drink
飲んでいる > drinking

今英国に住んでいます > now I am living in England.
Last edited by Delekii on Tue 03.06.2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delekii

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 03.06.2007 2:13 pm

英国 is the UK (or Britain), not England, and is used in more formal or writen Japanese. (イギリス is also the UK)
Last edited by hungryhotei on Tue 03.06.2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Jim » Tue 03.13.2007 11:19 am

I have my written examination tomorrow so for practise it was advised to write about a holiday in Dublin, Ireland and what i done, in some decent detail using correct grammar. so I'm going to give it a go here and hopefully I can get some feedback from the people here on what I've done wrong, I'll do a few sentences at a time.

わたし の ホリデー の Dublin は ご-がつ に でんしゃ を いきました. でんしゃ Belfast から Dublinまで と ともだち でした.

My holiday in Dublin was on June and i went by train. The train was from Belfast to Dublin with a friend.

Doing it a few sentences at a time.
Last edited by Jim on Tue 03.13.2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby richvh » Wed 03.14.2007 9:13 am

I think even your English is a bit awkward, so I'm going to rephrase (may be already too late for your test, though.)

私のダブリンにいる休みは五月でした。ベルファストからダブリンまで電車で友達と一緒に行きました。
わたしの ダブリンに いる やすみは ごがつ でした。 ベルファストから ダブリンまで でんしゃで ともだちと いっしょに いきました。
My holiday in Dublin was in June. I went from Belfast to Dublin by train with a friend.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Jim » Thu 03.15.2007 10:29 am

Heh, I thought my English was fine (good enough to pass a GCSE), its probably just the differences with irish-english and american-english, what sounds fine to me will sound a bit odd to an american and visa versa, unless I'm typing very formal English.

Either way thanks, didnt have time to finish off that Dublin paragraph, but I did get to my exam and by the looks of it I've done alright. I had to write about a weekend in Paris and what I supposidely done, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. The second part was basically a part where I had to fill in the gaps with the proper grammar or word, and I had to leave out one question because I didnt know the word for "small". :( Hopefully I pull in some nice marks though.

Now all I need to do is prepare for my Oral and write a script of sorts.. I'll post up what I've done with that in a few days when I've finished it.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby marquis » Thu 03.15.2007 12:21 pm

Can anyone post a small diary here or just the original poster?
marquis

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)