Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A question about handwriting (size)

A question about handwriting (size)

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

A question about handwriting (size)

Postby ThePacster » Mon 03.19.2007 8:00 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but if a mod feels the need to move it, please do so.

I've just recently started learning Japanese, and try to practice Kanji also when I come across it in my book, but I have a question. The Hiragana, and Katakana I can write perfectly fine, but the kanji... argh! >.<

Of course its not going to look perfect, but on average, just how large do people write in Japanese? As I progress, the thought of squeezing complex kanji into teeny weeny spaces is starting to intimidate me, so I just thought I'd ask so I can try not to write too small or to large as I practice.
ThePacster

RE: A question about handwriting (size)

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 03.19.2007 8:27 pm

I to at times struggle squeezing Kanji, especially writing my address on various forms and what not however, the ruling in an A4 notebook is the same as the what I have come across in Australia at least.

Early Kanji kentei drill books force the user to write within a box, (10kyuu-6kyuu or thereabouts) that helps Japanese children keep their characters within perspective.

Likewise, surely there has to be a textbook that employs this system too.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Tajoumaru » Mon 03.19.2007 8:32 pm

Yes, some kanji are just painful to write--you know, the kind that have eight to ten distinct horizontal lines. You need to have the world's steadiest handwriting, along with a 0.1 mm pencil, to get some of those in a small space. Here's my suggestion: Japan should switch to simplified kanji, following China's example. Please.
Tajoumaru

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 03.19.2007 9:44 pm

Most handwriting is done in a semi-abbreviated form, especially for characters with more strokes. The more you write them yourself and see Japanese handwriting, the better you get at writing and reading it. I would say average Japanese writing is about as large as average English writing.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby ThePacster » Mon 03.19.2007 10:41 pm

Oy, I better get some finer ball-point pens. :o
ThePacster

Postby vhcoffee » Tue 03.20.2007 7:13 am

See my posting in the History and Literature Forum titled "Practice writing through literature" for a place where you can get examples of handwriting.
vhcoffee

Postby vhcoffee » Tue 03.20.2007 10:08 am

Since I've had the same questions about Japanese handwriting as you seem to be having and have searched high and low for samples of what real Japanese handwriting looks like so here's another aside:

I've found many books for learning how to write well in Japanese. It seems that Japanese value good penmanship more than we do these days in America, so these books are numerous and not only for elementary school kids. I've also found that there are dictionaries with examples of Kanji in the three writing styles.
vhcoffee

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)