View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby mrfusion » Thu 02.24.2005 5:27 pm

Hey TokyoRoze,

You said you were 15 right? You should check with the Rotary Club and see if
you can be an exchange student. That's how my younger brother ended up spending
one year of highschool in Osaka. What part of New Jersey are you from?
Last edited by mrfusion on Thu 02.24.2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrfusion

Postby Sacari » Thu 02.24.2005 5:31 pm

It's a mix of things for me. I like anime and manga. B) Then again, Japanese is considered one of the hardest languages and i like learning hard things. I also like the japanese culture ;).
Did I mention I'm twelve years old? :D I like knowing more than some people I know who are older than me.
Sacari

Postby Jei » Thu 02.24.2005 7:39 pm

I want to learn Japanese because it just seems like a fun language to learn. And it is. I'm currently taking an online Japanese class, and I'm really enjoying it, though I'm still very bad at the language. I know all the Hiragana (although I do get some of them mixed up every once in a while) and have recently started working on learning Katakana. I don't know a single Kanji yet.

Japanese culture seems very interesting and different, and I really like (most) it. And most Japanese food is absolutely delicious. Also, I think Japanese girls are the sexiest ones on the face of the Earth. I want my future wife to be Japanese! :D

Sometimes I really like how Japanese sounds, but other times I think it sounds girly and stupid. My feelings toward it seem to fluctuate with my mood. Thankfully, I don't feel like Japanese sounds stupid very often. And when I do, I do my best to suppress the feeling. Telling myself that English sounds stupid too seems to help.

As far as I know, I don't have a single drop of Japanese (or any kind of Asian) blood in my body, which really makes me sad at times. In fact, I don't really know what I am. But my mom mentioned once that all (or at least a good majority) of her side of the family is descended from various mixtures of Dutch, English and Irish bloodlines. I've never asked my dad about his side of the family, but I assume it would be something pretty similar. I don't have a problem with the way I look, but sometimes I just wish I was Japanese, or at least had some Japanese blood in me, just because Japan is so cool.

I want to visit, or maybe even live in Japan someday. If I lived there, I could probably be an English teacher! Teaching English to Japanese kids would be so cool.

I like anime, though sometimes it can get a little cheesy. But I love manga. With manga, you never have to worry about things like choppy animation, poor voice acting, or crappy music. Granted, a lot of anime doesn't have those things. But a lot of other anime does. Of course story is the most important thing of all. And with manga you get more story. Like when a book is made into a movie, the book is always better; the same principle applies to anime and manga: when a manga is made into an anime, the manga is always better.

Also video games. I LOVE video games! I would love to be able to buy all my favorite games in their original language and actually be able to understand them. Well, okay, some of my favorite games have English as their original language because they were made in America, but that's beside the point.

jinksys wrote:
I immediately loved japanese, but
not my instructor who was a native japanese speaker.
She used romanji #1, kept on and on about how
english was stupid

It seems like almost anyone who speaks English as a second language thinks it isn't as good as their native language. But then again, most people would probably think their native language is the best one, no matter what it is. But what a lot of people fail to realize is that any one language isn't better, just different. If you grow up learning one language (as most people do) then that language will make sense to you. And other languages with different rules will seem stupid because they are not what you grew up with. But if you just think about it, then you will understand that just because something is different from what you are used to, that does not make it stupid.

As a side note, I plan to learn German once I master Japanese. I just really like the way it sounds.
Last edited by Jei on Thu 02.24.2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid people. Always trying to make witty sigs. Well NOT ME!! My sig will be boring!!
Jei

Postby RayneSinder » Thu 02.24.2005 7:51 pm

For me its a career decision. For as long as I can remember I have always been facinated with the Japanese culture, food, arts (Martial Arts), anime and manga. I'm a great writer, and my stories are perfect for anime, and I'm driven to see that they become anime. The only way I can see doing this is to live and work in Japan, so i have to learn how to speak, read, write, and understand Japanese. It is my dream, my passion, to be a great Anime creator. Thank you.
"Life is nothing, if not everything."
RayneSinder

Postby TokyoRoze » Fri 02.25.2005 11:31 am

mrfusion wrote:
Hey TokyoRoze,

You said you were 15 right? You should check with the Rotary Club and see if
you can be an exchange student. That's how my younger brother ended up spending
one year of highschool in Osaka. What part of New Jersey are you from?

Actually yesterday i turned 16 and im from ocean county NJ. I got a program from unforgettablelanguages.com and its AWESOME. I WOULD LOVE TO BE AN EXCHANGE STUDENT. but my parents....it will be hard for them. i gotta talk em over....help me with this...
O and im going to a Japanese Restoraunt tonight for my Bday (even tho it was yesterday)
Last edited by TokyoRoze on Fri 02.25.2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80
TokyoRoze

Postby Daisuke » Fri 02.25.2005 7:32 pm

I know it is off topic, but congrats with your birthday yesterday!! B)
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby mrfusion » Fri 02.25.2005 8:47 pm

TokyoRoze wrote:
Actually yesterday i turned 16 and im from ocean county NJ. I got a program from unforgettablelanguages.com and its AWESOME. I WOULD LOVE TO BE AN EXCHANGE STUDENT. but my parents....it will be hard for them. i gotta talk em over....help me with this...
O and im going to a Japanese Restoraunt tonight for my Bday (even tho it was yesterday)

Happy Birthday!

I'm originally from Hackensack, NJ. I'd talk to the Rotary Club and see if a) you qualify
and b) they can help convince your parents. When my brother went, we also took
in an exchange student from Japan. It was really a great experience for everyone.
My brother now works for a Japanese medical company and married a wonderful
Japanese girl. They go back and visit his host family every once in a while.
Let us know how it goes.
ミスターフュション
mrfusion

RE: hi

Postby FullMetal_loon » Fri 02.25.2005 8:53 pm

Hello i am the newest member, i just signed up. The reason i wanna learn Japinese (sorry if i misspelled it) is because i have always been facinated with the japinese language, andit wouldnt hurt if i learned a second language;)
FullMetal Alchemist ROXXX!!!! :)
FullMetal_loon

RE: um

Postby FullMetal_loon » Fri 02.25.2005 8:55 pm

um, hello is any 1 here:|
FullMetal_loon

RE: :(

Postby FullMetal_loon » Fri 02.25.2005 8:57 pm

:(i...guess no 1 is here:(
FullMetal_loon

Postby mcanangel » Fri 02.25.2005 9:31 pm

There are several things that made me want to learn japanese. At first I became interested in Anime/manga and even started creating my own manga. Then I thought it would be neat to translate my manga to Japanese. When I started looking into learning the language I learned more and more about the customs, cultures and even some history of the Japanese. From then on I was hooked. Now I even want to go their to visit or maybe a work/study abroad program ^^
B)
*~If that's how things are
Then that's how they'll be~*
mcanangel

Postby kimita » Fri 02.25.2005 11:08 pm

manga and anime! it's wonderful world with beautiful characters and more... and japanese music also COOL.
Hey, it's not all the cause. I have already learn English and I feel can't know more about it. And I want to know something new (Japanese or Chinese). At last I chose Japanese. ;)
Last edited by kimita on Fri 02.25.2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimita

Postby leylia » Sat 02.26.2005 10:39 am

I'm learning Japanese language because I'm obsessed with their culture and that includes their language. I want to learn more about japan. ^_^
leylia

Postby ShinDig » Sat 02.26.2005 11:26 am

TokyoRoze wrote:
Spaztick wrote:
I wanted to learn Japanese, for reasons currently unknown to me. I didn't know why or what I'd do until after I started learning. I figured I'd broaden my horizons, but that can't be the only reason. I'll probably move there during college as a study abroad student, get married and have an excuse to stay there. :P

In short, I don't know.

Very nice, totally the same with me!

I kinda agree with you too, for some reason, Japan has always fascinated me and i love the culture and the lifestyle, it's all so different to that of the UK's!:D
ShinDig

Postby ShinDig » Sat 02.26.2005 11:30 am

TokyoRoze wrote:
Anime, Culture or do you just like the food? Tell me(or us) why!

Me, Is the Culture and the Food. I think its all fanstastic and I love everything about Japan. If you want to see a good movie Rent KIKUJIRO, best movie ever. But i got the biggest passion about learning japanese and im only 15 and i know im gonna stick to it! So whats you peoples story?[mail][/mail]

Hey, i love everything about Japan too. I really want to go there one day, :) i heard about that film somewhere before but i cant find it anywhere over here (in the UK!) :@ AAAARGH, i really want to see it!
ShinDig

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion