Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - new to japanese and new to the forum

new to japanese and new to the forum

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

new to japanese and new to the forum

Postby GoldDragon » Tue 08.16.2005 6:58 pm

Hi as you can see i'm new here and well.. i know nothing about japanese apart from how to say a few choice words...

In any case i just want to find out whats involved with learning japanese like
where to begin?,
how difficult is it?,
how much time should i spend studying?,
how long does it usually take to learn?,
and whats the best way to learn in the long run?

anyway thanks for any answers in advance.. i look forward to knowing you all..

p.s. i'm determined to learn even if its not for myself but to prove to everyone i can or to be able to buy ramen in japan.. thats good too.:D
Never eat anything thats bigger than your head... Trust me.
GoldDragon

RE: new to japanese and new to the forum

Postby njt » Tue 08.16.2005 8:39 pm

Hey welcome to the site :).

Now to help you with your questions~

You should begin in the area that you want to accomplish first. If you would like to speak first, you should begin with conversation.
Anyways, in this thread there are a few sites that are helpful with lessons and such.
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/vi ... ad_id=1161

how difficult is it? Well I've tried learning French, and Latin... and to tell you the truth Japanese is MUCH easier than those two. The verbs conjugate easily, the pronunciation isn't too hard, and... well it just flows :). So I think it's quite an easy language to learn, but it helps if you are the type that can pick up languages easily to make it easier... I'm not, so it was a tiny bit of a challenge.. but with a little effor you can do it :).

I spent A LOT of time studying when I first started. I actually used this site and a few teach yourself Japanese books. I wrote down things I wanted to say in Japanese on little flash cards and took those everywhere with me. During my summer vacation some days I would study up to 6 hours a day. But then again, I had nothing better to do :p.

With any language, the time it takes to learn depends on the person... some could become quite fluent in 2 years, some a LOT longer... depends on how fast you pick up on languages.

And the best way to learn is to use it... constantly use it, learn it because you want to use it... or you might just give up. By speaking you practice two important parts, listening and speaking. By writing (say in chat or email) you practice another two, which is reading and writng. So by doing two things you can actually accomplish 4 things. So using it is by far the best way to go. Learn vocabulary, learn some grammar and be aware that you will make mistakes. But don't think that's a bad thing, in my case, I learned a lot more from my mistakes then always being right all the time. So yep- learn from your mistakes and move on.

As for learning, do it for yourself too :), it's a fun language and you'll have fun learning it. And yeah- you should be able to get that ramen bowl in now time ;).
njt
Site Admin

Postby Daichi » Wed 08.17.2005 4:52 am

By writing (say in chat or email) you practice another two, which is reading and writng.

If you want to write Japanese it's also very important to practice the good old fashioned way - with pen and paper. If the only writing you do is on a computer, you will be reading more than writing, as you won't be using the kana/kanji from memory, simply recognising them when you see them (either on screen or on your keyboard if you have a Japanese one).

By practising on paper as much as possible you will give yourself better odds of memorising the symbols.
Daichi

Postby njt » Wed 08.17.2005 5:49 am

Daichi wrote:
By writing (say in chat or email) you practice another two, which is reading and writng.

If you want to write Japanese it's also very important to practice the good old fashioned way - with pen and paper. If the only writing you do is on a computer, you will be reading more than writing, as you won't be using the kana/kanji from memory, simply recognising them when you see them (either on screen or on your keyboard if you have a Japanese one).

By practising on paper as much as possible you will give yourself better odds of memorising the symbols.

Right, didn't mean to neglect that ;).
njt
Site Admin

Postby GoldDragon » Wed 08.17.2005 6:02 am

Thanks for the replies.. Very useful. Anyway I’m off to go through some of these free lessons... woo yeah!B)
Never eat anything thats bigger than your head... Trust me.
GoldDragon

Return to Introductions