Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Micro$oft Word questions

Micro$oft Word questions

Do you have a translation question?

Micro$oft Word questions

Postby dreimer » Wed 08.17.2005 5:47 pm

Hey all, I have the IME in MS working, but I have a question about the english to Hiragana translation that it does automatically...

1) If I'm typing as I would in English, does the Hiragana that Word produces make any sense? Is it Gramatically correct, or even close?

2) Can someone explain the conditions where I would use "combined" characters in Word?

3) What significance is the "Enclose Characters" function?

4) Why would I use vertical/Right-Left instead of Left-Right/Horizontal?

I tried to search the Forum, but didn't find anything...so I'm sorry if these questions have been answered.
dreimer

RE: Micro$oft Word questions

Postby Justin » Wed 08.17.2005 6:11 pm

1) IME's in no way can actually translate what you are typing. All they do is allow you to input other languages, so no, if you switched over to the Japanese input and typed in English, it would just be a coplete mess

2) Sorry, not really for sure about that, I guess just another way to be able to format things, don't think you see it used too often though.

3) About the same as above I guess.

4) Vertical/Right-Left is the more traditional way of writing, now a days though just normal left-right/horizontal is pretty much the norm for everyday type of things, but there's still some times when you would want to use the more formal old fashion way.
Justin

Postby Daichi » Thu 08.18.2005 5:49 am

If my memory serves me right, Japanese use vertical / right-left in newspapers and for writing letters.

Can anyone confirm, correct or expand on this?
Daichi

Postby Kates » Thu 08.18.2005 9:03 am

That's right, Daichi. Most newspapers are printed in vertical format. A lot of novels as well, and most comics/manga are written vertically. Essays in school are written this way as well.

Really, the Japanese usually only use horizontal writing for English... or maybe in children's books. The standard is vertical writing.
Kates

RE: Thanks for the answers, but...

Postby dreimer » Thu 08.18.2005 2:34 pm

Having just gotten back from Japan, I can tell you that most everything you read there is horizontal. I agree with the newspaper and other stuff, but for the most part, magazines, ads, etc...are all horizontal.
dreimer

Postby Kates » Thu 08.18.2005 4:32 pm

Alright, alright. -_- But I was mostly referring to large amounts of written text. IE: books, newspapers. I can't say I remember magazines (I've got one around her somewhere >_> ... <_< ) so I'll go with you on that. But I still believe the majority of (large amounts of) written Japanese is vertical.
Kates

Postby dreimer » Fri 08.19.2005 1:16 am

I didn't mean to offend....after all, I was only there for 2 weeks...and I was working most of that...

Personally, I find it easier to read right/left, and vertical...

Any suggestions for a newbie with only a little time to spare each day would be helpful.

thanks
dreimer

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion