Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why do japanese movies suck?

Why do japanese movies suck?

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby debu » Thu 03.29.2007 4:25 pm

I realize this is overgeneralizing, and I'm no expert on japanese films, but everytime I see a japanese movie it seems like a poorly done after school special or something.

I'm talking production values here, like lighting, editing, effects... even the acting. I'm not talking about plot, etc... I know we (Americans) create many real stinkers in that regard, but at least the production quality is usually high. Even the typical indy movie seems to have much higher quality than the japanese films I've seen.

It seems like they've got money, technology, and stories to tell. They produce high quality anime, and have a wealthy audience that eats it up. So why can't/don't they make higher quality live action movies?
Try Train Your Brain flashcard software, free for TJP members. http://www.digitaldominion.com pm or email me for registration key
debu

RE: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby aKuMu » Thu 03.29.2007 4:39 pm

Right. You're overgeneralizing. I've seen more American Films that sucked than Japanese ones. So why do American Films suck?

Good Visual effects don't make good movies. As you could see by all the Hollywood movies. Expensive like hell but they still suck. (Let's make remakes of 30 year old movies! yay)

Not everyone has the money to waste. Or don't want to.

I for myself like this kind of trashy style (especially when its an live action movie based on an Anime or in general don't want to be taken (and shouldn't be) too seriously.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby lemonaid » Thu 03.29.2007 4:55 pm

Daremo shiranai
GO!
Riri Shushu no subete
Hana-bi
About love
Stereo Future
Takashi Miikes Black Society (Ley Lines, Rainy Dog, Shinjuku Triad Society)
Kagemusha
Shichinin no samurai

I know of plenty more japanese movies that I find very good. Of course, taste in movies is highly subjective, so you might not like them.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 03.29.2007 4:59 pm

They produce high quality anime,

This shows your bias more than anything else in that post.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby debu » Thu 03.29.2007 5:15 pm

Based on the posts so far, I just want to reiterate that I'm not talking about the subjective goodness of a movie (i.e. whether or not you like/enjoy it), but the (hopefully) more objective production quality, stuff like lighting, film quality, audio quality, etc... Sorry if the title was too misleading.

aKuMa: Agreed about many American movies sucking, however I still think the production quality is still pretty high on the typical hollywood film, even if it is total crap.

Yudan Taiteki: When I said "They produce high quality anime", I was talking about the animation/visuals/audio, not my personal opinion of the entertainment value.
Try Train Your Brain flashcard software, free for TJP members. http://www.digitaldominion.com pm or email me for registration key
debu

Postby HeyItsMatt » Thu 03.29.2007 5:22 pm

I think the answer is just that we have a bigger movie industry and more money than anyone else in the world. (I dunno, maybe India has a bigger industry, but I'm betting they're lacking on the cash part).

I'm actually of the opinion that the American movie industry is kind of slumping right now, debu. Part of that, I think, is that even though we spend more and more money on movies, have innovative special effects and great editing and production, ultimately those are almost always just a way to enhance and support the story, which I haven't enjoyed in many recent movies lately.

The horror industry in particular is pretty bad lately. If you look at a lot of the heavy hitters in the horror genre lately, they aren't original. They're A) remakes of older movies like Dawn of the Dead, or B) remakes of Japanese horror movies like The Ring.

I have to say some of the most memorable and interesting movies I have seen lately have been Japanese horror and 'alternative' movies. Battle Royale, Audition, Ichi the Killer (those aren't for the squeamish, especially the last one), and Last Life in the Universe (that might have been a Thai movie actually, but it had Tadanobu Asano in it and part of the setting was in Japan).

Sorry if that went off tangent from your question, I just couldn't resist talking about movies I like :)
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Rinjii » Thu 03.29.2007 5:37 pm

I think Japanese movies are much better than American movies. One thing makes a huge difference - atmosphere. You watch a good Japanese horror film (not with dubbing as the english speaking actors are usually pretty bad) and they get you on the edge of your seat. I think other countries have lost the ability to do that, they concentrate on special effects. Instead of building up the story, they just show it to you. Ignore the fact that the movie isn't a good example of modern day technology and concentrate on the stories and the acting. I'd rather watch a japanese movie over any other, any day!
Rinjii

Postby AJBryant » Thu 03.29.2007 6:04 pm

I have to ask how many -- and which -- Japanese films the OP has seen.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kdar » Thu 03.29.2007 6:21 pm

Hahaha.. Compare to what? American movies? Sure there some good movies too... But lately, this list becomes smaller and smaller... :((I am talking about new releases each year).

Maybe Japanese movies don't have all that graphical stuff and all that. But most of them have great plot.
I more care about story and the "feel" of that movie.
All those graphical and eye-candy-effects is not as important to me.
I would better watch movie with great story, then movie that have greatest effects but its as stupid as it can get.

I don't know....
But from all Japanese movies I watched.. I loved them (most of them).
Last edited by Kdar on Thu 03.29.2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby Infidel » Thu 03.29.2007 7:02 pm

foreign movies in general, seem to stress plot over effects and such. American films are mostly glitter and happy endings.

One thing I've always liked about foreign films is I don't know what the ending will be. Good, bad, or bittersweet. Darker themes are explored etc.

Point of no Return vs la femme nikita. La femme nikita was far better.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Tajoumaru » Thu 03.29.2007 7:08 pm

Instead of ripping this ignorant poster to shreds, I'd like to ask him/her to name a few specific examples. I've seen several hundred Japanese films (non-animated) and have been seriously disappointed only a few times (Miike's Izo comes to mind). I'm sure there are many all-around lousy Japanese films, but what percentage of that low-budget schlock actually makes it to foreign shores?

Anyway, here's a short list of notable Japanese directors--a good place to start looking for some fine cinema:
- Kurosawa Akira
- Imamura Shohei
- Mizoguchi Kenji
- Itami Juzo
- Oshima Nagisa
- Kurosawa Kiyoshi (no relation to Akira)
Tajoumaru

Postby lastlife » Thu 03.29.2007 8:31 pm

add these to the list

Takeshi Kitano
Shinya Tsukamoto

debu watches too many action-packed Tom Cruise movies, i guess
lastlife

Postby debu » Thu 03.29.2007 8:37 pm

Instead of ripping this ignorant poster to shreds, I'd like to ask him/her to name a few specific examples.

Sigh... Too many people are missing the point that I'm talking about production quality (my fault for a misleading title).

For comparison, here are two movies that are similar in many ways... one American, one Japanese.

Death Note the movie vs. Ghost Rider... One was an adaptation of a popular manga, the other an adaptation of a popular comic book. Now, Ghost Rider was a terrible movie, but it did have high production values. The audio was crisp and clear, as was the video quality, and the special effects were reasonable. Death Note looked like it could have been filmed on hand-held camera, had bad effects, and in general had very low production values.

Now, I'm sure Ghost Rider had a larger budget, but Death Note earned some 3 billion yen, and movies based on popular anime seem to do quite well in japan, so I'm sure they could have spent enough on it to make it look nice.

Anyway, maybe that's not fair comparison... but I've been blown away by the visuals (hero) and the audio (house of flying daggers) of much lower budget foreign films, but I've yet to come across a japanese film where I've been impressed at all by those things.
debu

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 03.29.2007 9:03 pm

Well, according to IMDB, the budget for Death Note(1) was $20,000,000
The budget for Ghost Rider was$120,000,000

You can do a hell of a lot of special effects with an extra 100,000,000 dollars.

EDIT:
And, because I was curious, I did an exchange rate for House of Flying Daggers. It cost 12,941,465 USD, but you have to keep in mind that production rates would be much lower in China than in Japan and America (which seem to be almost equal).
Last edited by Harisenbon on Thu 03.29.2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kdar » Fri 03.30.2007 12:13 am

I also think, that some Japanese movie directors are more open with ideas, subjects and themes for their movies.

I watched some Japanese movies.... And I don't think some American would make movie about this subject.. and its kind of sad.

------------
And about Death Note....

I think it was better then any of those Ghost Riders, Spiderman and what not...
I think there was more to the story..
Last edited by Kdar on Fri 03.30.2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music