Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Mah Jong

Mah Jong

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Mah Jong

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 04.01.2007 1:01 pm

I got win-preempted twice, *in a row*, *BY THE SAME PERSON* last night.

That's when I wish we were playing with the "pay all winners" rule...
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

RE: Mah Jong

Postby keatonatron » Sun 04.01.2007 1:15 pm

What does "win-preempted" mean? They gave up because you were about to win?
keatonatron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 04.01.2007 1:23 pm

No, it means that we both needed the same tile to win but he was on my left, so he got precedence. Some version of Mah Jong allow for multiple winners, but we weren't playing that way.

I guess I should expand this thread -- does anyone else play Mah Jong? I've actually never played Japanese rules.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Sun 04.01.2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby SolidSnail » Sun 04.01.2007 1:37 pm

I used to play Mahjong with both my grandfathers, who have been in the navy, and among other navy stuff played mahjong in china.

I don't know if mahjong in china has the same rules as in japan, but I once checked an online mahjong guide, and the rules were very slightly different as I have learned. But that may be the years playing tricks with my grandfathers's memory.

Anyway, one major flaw that I have is that I never lerned exactly how to count the points in the end.
SolidSnail

Postby keatonatron » Sun 04.01.2007 1:51 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
No, it means that we both needed the same tile to win but he was on my left, so he got precedence.

Oh okay. I've never played before.

SolidSnail wrote:
Anyway, one major flaw that I have is that I never lerned exactly how to count the points in the end.

That sounds important...
keatonatron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 04.01.2007 1:55 pm

SolidSnail wrote:
I don't know if mahjong in china has the same rules as in japan, but I once checked an online mahjong guide, and the rules were very slightly different as I have learned. But that may be the years playing tricks with my grandfathers's memory.

All of the various Mah Jong styles have slightly different rules, but the basic gameplay is the same. I usually play Taiwan Mah Jong -- the main difference between that and the mainland game is that it uses 16-tile hands, and the scoring is different. In particular, only the person who discards the losing tile pays the winner, although if the winner draws the winning tile from the wall, everyone pays him. Also, the "dealer" (or whatever you call him) pays and collects extra, and if you win as dealer you stay dealer again and your dealer bonus/penalty goes up.

Japanese adds "reach", which is a formal declaration of Ting Pai (but you get a penalty if you don't win), and some other stuff.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

RE: RE: Mah Jong

Postby Valatunda » Sun 04.01.2007 3:46 pm

I have only played Mah jong solitaire on 42 All-Time Classics for the Nintendo DS. It is one of my favourites along with Koi-Koi. I once was in a situation where there were only four tiles left, but the tile on top of the other had its match under the below tile’s match.

Like this.
1 2
2 1

So I had no more moves.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby SolidSnail » Sun 04.01.2007 7:24 pm

keatonatron wrote:
SolidSnail wrote:

That sounds important...

indeed. But I learned to play when I was a kid and I guess I just didn't have the patience to learn how to. Anyway, I knew the scoring basics, which was enough for me.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I usually play Taiwan Mah Jong -- the main difference between that and the mainland game is that it uses 16-tile hands

:o and here I was thinking in diferences such as the tiles being collected clockwise vs anti-clockwise.

By the way, does anyone knows if it is possible play mahjong online (i'm not talking of the solitaire game also named mahjong), and where?
All this mahjong talk made want to play it again, but I don't have anyone to play to. Almost no one knows this game.
Last edited by SolidSnail on Sun 04.01.2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnail

Postby trabia-wind » Sun 04.01.2007 7:52 pm

ahh i love mahjong. =D really fun. i play chengdu/sichuan version.. which is no "chi" only "peng" and some other stuff.. none of the "dong nan xi bei" etc.. idk about japanese mahjong.

you can play mahjong online if you get qq.. it's a chinese chat program. it comes with qq games and then there's all the different variations of mahjong on there, but it's all in chinese. =/
trabia-wind

Postby revolutionary » Mon 04.02.2007 4:09 am

I like mah jong. But I've only played the version where you have a huge tower of tiles and you have to remove them by matching. I don't know what its name is.

I've gotten pretty good at it, however. I tried to buy a mah jong set in china town, but the lady wouldn't go lower than fifteen bucks and it was obviously not even worth five.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby SolidSnail » Mon 04.02.2007 5:43 am

For all of you who think Mahjong is a solitaire game consisting of a kind of a piramid in which you remove the pices by pairs of tiles: that is a computer game called Mahjong, but real mahjong is a board-game for 4 players (can also be played with 3 and, in extreme boredom case, 2 people).

Here is the link to the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

trabia-wind wrote:
you can play mahjong online if you get qq.. it's a chinese chat program.

unfortunately, it seems that that program is only for windows, and I have linux.
SolidSnail

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 04.02.2007 10:28 am

i do play the japanese rules.. I was nearly able to procure a tile set while in Japan and the furuyasan.. I saw it there, loved it, only had a bit of cash on me, went in, payed the owner to hold it for me for 30 mins.. Came back, and someone else had sold it.. I guess he forgot to "mark" it sold.. doh.. The set was bamboo with ivory tiles.. it was only missing one piece.. oh well..
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Mon 04.02.2007 12:01 pm

I never actually had a chance to play MahJong but after watching it enough, I got a basic idea of the rules. It seems slightly similar to Gin Rhymy (no clue that's spelled) if anybody is familiar with that card game.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby revolutionary » Mon 04.02.2007 12:15 pm

SolidSnail wrote:
For all of you who think Mahjong is a solitaire game consisting of a kind of a piramid in which you remove the pices by pairs of tiles: that is a computer game called Mahjong, but real mahjong is a board-game for 4 players (can also be played with 3 and, in extreme boredom case, 2 people).

I guess that's why I couldn't find the name of the version I was familiar with when I used google.

I've seen people play the real version, kind of like cards or dominoes. It looks like a good betting game, but it also looks very complicated.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 04.02.2007 3:42 pm

It's not that complicated. It looks difficult when people play it because most players who are decent play it very quickly. As Dehitay indicates, the game is basically rummy with tiles. The most complicated part is the scoring.

Also just to be nitpicky, it's not really a "betting" game since the payments are all decided by a fixed scoring table (the only decision the players have to make before the game is what amount of money each point represents; the people I play with usually use 10 cents a point with the average hand being worth 5-10 points).
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Mon 04.02.2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to General off topic