Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - First attempt at writing Japanese script.

First attempt at writing Japanese script.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

First attempt at writing Japanese script.

Postby Supergrunch » Thu 08.18.2005 11:27 am

おはよおございます。私の名前チモシイです。木曜日です。8月25日の時私の試験の結果をもらいます。

I could do with some criticism (in English- I probably wouldn't understand japanese), and I would also like to know whether any more kanji would normally be used.

arigatou. :)
Supergrunch

RE: First attempt at writing Japanese script.

Postby Kates » Thu 08.18.2005 4:38 pm

You did well. ^_^ I think you have the exact same kanji a Japanese person would write. The only thing I have a question about is your fourth sentence. "8gatsu 25-nichi no (toki? ji?) watashi no shiken no kekka wo moraimasu."

Do you mean, ON the 25th of August, you will receive the results of your test? If so, I think you should put a "NI" after '25nichi' and drop the "no toki"... and a comma would probably be good, too. ^_^

However, I think I completely understood what you wrote, which is, of course, the basis of communication. ^_^ Yoku dekimashita~
Kates

Postby Supergrunch » Thu 08.18.2005 5:02 pm

Oh of course- seeing as I just learnt the past tense, I was thinking "no toki" as is (roughly speaking) "at the time that", but I realise that "ni" as "on" would be grammatically correct. As for commas, I've never really been sure where to use them in Japanese; I wasn't even sure they were used.

Thanks for the critique. :)
Supergrunch

Postby Kates » Thu 08.18.2005 8:10 pm

You're welcome. ^_^ Yes, Japanese use commas... but there aren't really rules like there are with English. I sometimes see them after a day/time, or between clauses. IE:
きのう、デパートに行って、セーターを買いました。
Kinou, depa-to ni itte, se-ta- wo kaimashita.

It just helps to break up sentences, I think... especially for new learners. ^_^ I find it easier to read a sentence with breaks in it, personally. So then, perhaps it's just personal choice. ^_^ Ganbatte~
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.19.2005 7:14 am

Kates,

There are rules for comma use in Japanese, just like in English. But like in english, no one follows them. ;)

SuperGrunch,

Here's a breakdown

おはよ*お*(う)ございます。私の名前(は)*チモシイ*(ティモシー)です。木曜日です。8月25日*の時*(に)私の試験の結果をもらいます。

You should also say what test results you're receiving, because it's just completely out of the blue, and we have no reference. Japanese is very big on having reference when talking about things that your partner doesn't know about. For example, you can't just say "this guy" when telling a story, you should say "This guy I saw at the station." or "This guy riding on the train." or whatnot.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Supergrunch » Fri 08.19.2005 7:28 am

Thaks for that. To say the type of results, would you use yet another "no", as the sentence already seems to be infested with them. Also, I didn't know how to do those katakana vowel extenders with the IME language bar thing, so I just repeated the I.
Supergrunch

Postby Kates » Fri 08.19.2005 11:42 am

Just use the long dash/minus sign. ^_^ IME should interpret it correctly.

Harisenbon-san, arigatou. ^_^
Kates

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)