Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - CAN SOMONE PLEASE HELP ME?!!!!!

CAN SOMONE PLEASE HELP ME?!!!!!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: CAN SOMONE PLEASE HELP ME?!!!!!

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 1:53 am

Hm, that sounds like a similar troll that was in the About Japan forum a couple of years back...kept posting everything in caps. Everytime he was banned, he'd create a new user account and start right back up. I wonder if About took the same action you guys did.

grow up.... don't appear to be a 10-year old kid on the internet...

Well, it wouldn't hurt to ask how old Kawaiicat is...would it surprise you if she were ten years old? I've noticed (thanks in part to the pics thread) that there are a whole lot of very young folks milling about here. A few thirteen year olds for certain...most mature for their age, but maybe we've run across one who is actually acting her age? We do have a very diverse and wide ranging aged forum here. Just thought I'd introduce the thought.

kawaiicat for some reason seems to be like this *evil* user. maybe it's intentional, maybe it's not intentional.... acting like a 10-year old AOL user.... not reading the rules, asking questions that could be answered with a simple search of past articles, who knows what else...

Again, other than the personal preferences mentioned about the color text and multiple postings, I haven't seen her post any "trolling" type behavior unless you can elaborate on the "10 year old AOL user" comment (never been on an AOL chat but I've heard stories). Has she posted inaccurate information? Yep. Posted ignorantly? Apparently. Immature? Aren't we all a bit goofy, at one point or another here. But is she evil as Akiru? C'mon. I've yet to see someone post conclusive evidence to back this claim up. Frankly I have my doubts that anyone can.

I feel the need to defend her to a degree because again, I just don't see a pattern of abhorrent behavior on her part during this whole episode. And so far, this fiasco isn't too far from a Salem witchhunt. No apologies to her so far either for the misunderstanding or the hurtful comments that she unjustly endured. I think she's a bit taken aback to defend herself...or maybe she just doesn't have my mouth, hehehe. ;) I'm not pointing fingers because as I've been saying, I've been too busy to hang out here more often, but it's a shame something as simple as a mistaken identity had to come to this. It should be a lesson to her either way to toughen up a bit and not let anyone get to her just because they're not crazy about the way she posts. Like I said in another post, can't please everyone.

I think I also understand what you're saying. She apparently has needed a bit too much hand holding regarding certain issues that I'll assume have been repeated to her more than once. Although that is more than sufficient cause to bring to her attention and modify, that still isn't good enough reason to compare her to the caliber of troll that Akiru was (it seems like Akiru went out of her way to be a collossal pain in the arse). Kawaii isn't going out of her way...she's just royally confused and doesn't know why she's being ganged up on. Can't say that I blame her in that respect.

And Kawaiicat, it seems that the other lesson here is that you need to make an effort to demonstrate some maturity more often. Folks are happy to assist, but only if you've shown that you tried to help yourself first before turning to others here for help.

:)
Last edited by Seapony on Mon 04.02.2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby keatonatron » Mon 04.02.2007 3:26 am

Seapony wrote:
Doggone it, TELL ME ALREADY!!

See for yourself.

(The really good stuff starts at the top of page 3)
Last edited by keatonatron on Mon 04.02.2007 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.02.2007 4:09 am

Don't forget Iwark

This is his first thread I think :)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ss » Mon 04.02.2007 5:12 am

No apologies to her so far either for the misunderstanding or the hurtful comments that she unjustly endured.

Sorry if I have hurt you, kawaiicat.

Thank you very much Keat, Zen and Infidel *san.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, it seems like a good time to have dissuaded users from immature acts. The opinion of others doesn’t make you what you are.

I see no reason why I should pick on a 15 years old young girl. I have no intention to hurt her. :( I have suggested her to study the situation in my first post. If we learn something important from an experience, even a painful one, it becomes helpful, even if there was no such intention involved.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby PsychoSP » Mon 04.02.2007 12:19 pm

I agree with Zen. Post responsibly, and you'll be a valued member of the community. I recommend the following:

* Since this is a language-learning site in English, use the best English you know.
* Follow the rules and guidelines for the forum. You can read them here.
* Don't assert something unless you're pretty darn sure it's true.
* Did I mention following the rules?

By the way, kawaiicat, I hereby retract insinuations that you are a sockpuppet. If you work on the above, I'll even take back my suggestion that you be banned.
PsychoSP

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.02.2007 12:35 pm

actually, since attempting to teach others cements knowledge far better than simply learning, I think it is ok to assert things you think are true since this forum is active enough that mistakes will be corrected. Just take corrections gracefully.

If on the other hand, this forum were very slow I'd agree. The problem with slow forums where people only answer if they are absolutely sure, is this philosophy tends to make the forum even more inactive.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby PsychoSP » Mon 04.02.2007 12:58 pm

Infidel wrote:
actually, since attempting to teach others cements knowledge far better than simply learning, I think it is ok to assert things you think are true since this forum is active enough that mistakes will be corrected. Just take corrections gracefully.

If one tacks an "I think" to the beginning of one's weak assertion, I see no problem. Presenting one's own opinion on subjective issues, including translation, is also just fine.

Pretending to be certain of a black-and-white fact when you are, in fact, incorrect is completely different. And making an easily verifiable (and wrong) comment like "it was his first manga" without doing any research at all is just plain irresponsible. I'm just advocating a little bit of care for accuracy.
PsychoSP

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.02.2007 2:16 pm

I'm perfectly fine with that B)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 2:19 pm

PsychoSP wrote:
Infidel wrote:

If one tacks an "I think" to the beginning of one's weak assertion, I see no problem. Presenting one's own opinion on subjective issues, including translation, is also just fine.

Can't really agree with you there. Briefly re-reading the anime thread that triggered all of this, I really feel that she simply believed that she was initially correct, hence, no need for adding "I think." And when her mistake was corrected, she didn't contest nor debate it. That is the true distinction between innocence and irresponsibility. Again, I should note that I'm making a personal assumption based on my observation here. Obviously she's the only one who can really clarify that for certain.

Pretending to be certain of a black-and-white fact when you are, in fact, incorrect is completely different. And making an easily verifiable (and wrong) comment like "it was his first manga" without doing any research at all is just plain irresponsible. I'm just advocating a little bit of care for accuracy.

To be fair, how much more responsible were you when you made your comments here? You made some premature, innaccurate, strong, hurtful accusations towards her. I didn't see you tacking on "I think" to any of your posts. Heck you even ask her to be banned at one point and for all we know, if she didn't start this thread, she could've been all over a case of mistaken identity. And now that I read the link keaton posted, this Akiru comparison...so far I haven't seen her come close to that level of schizophrenic trolling. I mean, WOW. I'm almost sorry I missed out on the excitement. Woo, talk about a winner. I see why everyone is flinching now.

B)
Last edited by Seapony on Mon 04.02.2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.02.2007 2:39 pm

I'm sorry for interrupting, but I've been *dying* to ask this:

Who on earth is Somone?

*feels relieved*

OK, you can continue.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 2:40 pm

tanuki wrote:
I'm sorry for interrupting, but I've been *dying* to ask this:

Who on earth is Somone?

*feels relieved*

OK, you can continue.

Did I write Somone? I wrote so much that I'm too lazy to go back up and check. Haha, that's pretty bad.

:D

Edit: *looks at thread heading* LMAO!
Last edited by Seapony on Mon 04.02.2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby PsychoSP » Mon 04.02.2007 3:41 pm

Seapony wrote:
Can't really agree with you there.

Putting aside the question of whether this applies to an isolated case, what's disagreeable about promoting accuracy and candor?

Again, I should note that I'm making a personal assumption based on my observation here.

As was I when I made the sock-puppet accusation, which I withdrew after receiving the clarification I was unable to obtain myself.

I appreciate and admire your obligation to champion the victims of what you perceive as bullying. But my recommendations for improving credibility on this forum stand unchanged.
PsychoSP

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 4:15 pm

Too bad you haven't apologized to her yet. And although I don't feel obliged to champion anyone, the fact that she was being bullied irked me into action. It was also obvious from this thread that she was asking for some support.
Last edited by Seapony on Mon 04.02.2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 4:17 pm

PsychoSP wrote:
Seapony wrote:
Can't really agree with you there.

Putting aside the question of whether this applies to an isolated case, what's disagreeable about promoting accuracy and candor?

You've taken my quote out of context. Re-read it, I think I've explained myself well enough there, unless I originally misunderstood your quote on weak assertions, which I don't think I have.

B)
Last edited by Seapony on Mon 04.02.2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seapony

Postby PsychoSP » Mon 04.02.2007 6:10 pm

Seapony wrote:
Too bad you haven't apologized to her yet.

Optimistic, are we?

No, I haven't. Not on the public forum, anyway.

You've taken my quote out of context. Re-read it, I think I've explained myself well enough there, unless I originally misunderstood your quote on weak assertions, which I don't think I have.

Only in that you've cited an instance without addressing the principle: that it's worth verifying information before misrepresenting something or someone.

Truly enough, I should have thought of that before publicly voicing and arousing false suspicions, possibly driving away a (relatively) innocent newbie (who is welcome, as far as I'm concerned, to keep participating as long as she tries to keep the rules.)
PsychoSP

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic