Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 凍りついてく時を

凍りついてく時を

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

凍りついてく時を

Postby deathelysium » Fri 08.19.2005 8:29 am

Hi all, this is a line from slamdunk theme song. I wanna ask how the 凍る is conjugated to 凍りついてく... :):)
deathelysium

RE: 凍りついてく時を

Postby battousai » Fri 08.19.2005 9:30 am

Well, it is 凍り付く being conjugated above, not 凍る. And it is conjugated into -te form, however I myself am not sure what the く at the end is because I've never seen te form + く modifying a noun. If 時 weren't there, the く at the end can serve as a sort of conjunction to lead into the next thought or sentence. I guess we wait for an expert.
Last edited by battousai on Fri 08.19.2005 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
battousai

Postby Kates » Fri 08.19.2005 11:29 am

While we're waiting for that expert, I'll throw in an opinion. ^^;

You might know the conjugation -te-iku, which is usually used to mean 'to do something and then leave that place'. (IE: Yamada-san ha chichi to hanashite-ikimashita. / Yamada-san talked with my father and then left.)

But it can also mean a 'currently ongoing action or state will keep changing into the future.' (IE: Kono eiga ha kore kara omoshiroku natte-ikimasu. / This movie will get interesting from this point on.)

And often, in spoken Japanese, the 'i' of 'iku' is dropped... hence koori-tsuite-ku. Which would kind of mean, then, 'going to be (completely) frozen'... perhaps... >_>

(Thanks to my "Youkoso" textbook for helping me explain this decently. ^^;)
Kates

Postby battousai » Fri 08.19.2005 12:21 pm

Indeed, I should have factored in that these were lyrics and therefore subject to this kind of spoken/written Japanese where combined verbs lose middle syllables to connect. I would say Kates' assumption is probably completely correct and an expert may not be needed.
battousai

Postby deathelysium » Sat 08.20.2005 12:07 am

wow thanks... you guys are very helpful ;)
deathelysium

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems