Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dial Up Wii

Dial Up Wii

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Dial Up Wii

Postby Hatori » Sun 04.01.2007 6:00 pm

Hello. I just got a Wii and I have dial up internet. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM.
I want to use the internet with my Wii do download, get new channels, ect.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get the Wii to go online with dial up. :(
It ruins ALL of the fun out of my Wii that I can't go online.
Oh yeah, my sucky dial up computer is in my bedroom which has my three game system "children."
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Dial Up Wii

Postby enpitsu00 » Sun 04.01.2007 7:14 pm

Last edited by enpitsu00 on Mon 07.11.2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enpitsu00

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 04.01.2007 8:06 pm

The problem is that the wii only has Wireless Networking capabilities out of the box.

The simplest solution would probably be to use your PC as a router, and connect the wii through that.

Your PC will need a dial-up modem and a wireless ethernet card (or a regular wired ethernet jack if you bought the Wii's wired online adapter).

Then, you should set your computer up for "shared internet connection." This will be in control panel > networking options > set up a home network.

Once you complete that you SHOULD be able to download channels and stuff with your wii as long as your computer is connected to the internet.

Hope that works for you!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Hatori » Mon 04.02.2007 10:30 pm

Harisenbon wrote: Hope that works for you!

Thank you so much. Geez, I've been asking people on gamespot.com which is a HUGE gaming website, which I'm quite popular lol, and they keep on saying the only solution is to get broadband or DSL.

Also, I've thought of the idea of using my printer's USB cord and then I'd plug it into my Wii and put my internet on. We both basically have a close idea, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for more details and important info.
If I could give you $5 for the help, I would. lol. :D :D :D :D
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby PsychoSP » Mon 04.02.2007 11:46 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
The problem is that the wii only has Wireless Networking capabilities out of the box.

The simplest solution would probably be to use your PC as a router, and connect the wii through that.

Your PC will need a dial-up modem and a wireless ethernet card (or a regular wired ethernet jack if you bought the Wii's wired online adapter).

Then, you should set your computer up for "shared internet connection." This will be in control panel > networking options > set up a home network.

Once you complete that you SHOULD be able to download channels and stuff with your wii as long as your computer is connected to the internet.

Hope that works for you!

Can you really communicate directly from PC to Wii? It seems like you'd need a router for this setup.
PsychoSP

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 04.03.2007 12:38 am

PsychoSP wrote:
Can you really communicate directly from PC to Wii? It seems like you'd need a router for this setup.

In this case the PC would be acting as a router.

Am I like the only person who's ever rolled their own router/firewall out of an old 486? I thought there would be a lot more geeks around. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby enpitsu00 » Tue 04.03.2007 10:34 pm

Last edited by enpitsu00 on Mon 07.11.2011 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enpitsu00

Postby saraLynne » Wed 04.04.2007 2:30 am

... I dunno. I think a 56K connection would get refused, since they claim it requires broadband. Despite using a PC as a router (assuming windows manages to pick up the WII as a network device), the connection speed won't be up to par for their requirements.

I don't think the people at Gamespot are stupid, as you seem to be inferring. Good luck with the router idea anyway, though. If it works, come let us know.
saraLynne

Postby Hatori » Sun 04.08.2007 1:56 pm

Okay, I looked in the thread I made on Gamespot again, and I TOTALLY have a definate answer. There were a few people who told me that they have dial up and all you need is WiFi and it'll be fine, but there will be an obvious slowness to their internet. I just need to change what my connection is and get internet set up on my Wii.
Between both websites, tjp and GS, I really appreciate everybody's input. It really gives me a good output on my Wii and I thought I wouldn't have internet at one point. :)
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sun 04.08.2007 2:55 pm

Hatori wrote:
Harisenbon wrote: Hope that works for you!

Thank you so much. Geez, I've been asking people on gamespot.com which is a HUGE gaming website, which I'm quite popular lol, and they keep on saying the only solution is to get broadband or DSL.

While it might not be necessary to have at least DSL or faster I would still recommend you to get it. Otherwise you'll most likely be getting really bad latency and long loading times. Not to mention that downloading virtual console games will take very long time.

Not to mention that surfing the internet goes so much smoother on DSL than on a dial-up connection. And if you want to download things it's sort of a must.

I'm going a bit off-topic now. I'm sort of wondering why dial-up internet still is offered. It depends a bit on your location, but still DSL should be offered in most places today.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby clay » Sun 04.08.2007 6:10 pm

I'm going a bit off-topic now. I'm sort of wondering why dial-up internet still is offered. It depends a bit on your location, but still DSL should be offered in most places today.

In the States, there are still many areas that cannot get DSL or Cable. The only option other than dialup is satellite.

Plus the cost can be a $30-50 difference per month.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Sun 04.08.2007 6:21 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
PsychoSP wrote:

In this case the PC would be acting as a router.

Am I like the only person who's ever rolled their own router/firewall out of an old 486? I thought there would be a lot more geeks around. ;)

I was asleep :P

Windows makes sharing an internet connection easy. For my xbox I just bought a very cheap wireless network bridge instead of the $99 adapter sold by microsoft. A cheap router can be used as a bridge too.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 04.08.2007 6:41 pm

agreed. broadband access in U.S. is impossible unless you live near major metropolitan area. the U.S. is huge, like Russia or Canada, but not as cold.... so there are more people spread out in the far from city places. DSL has a very limited range, you have to be relatively close to a telephone sub-station to get DSL, within city area, not that much of a problem, outside of city... big problem. same with cable. but for TV, satellite is good solution, lots of bandwith coming down from satellite, but for satellite internet, the upstream is telephone (modem).... so satellite internet is fast down, but exactly the same up as dial-up connection.

so, if you are far from a big city, with no cable (and cable internet), you can use satellite for TV (so cable company has no reason to service your area), but not for games and such that need to speedily send data.

we recently spent millions to connect some far away California Desert schools into the California network, http://www.cenic.org/PalmDesert/index.html. renting fiber, setting up long distance high speed wireless connections.. just to get high speed network to schools out in the middle of nowhere.... outside of schools, these people out in the middle of nowhere have no high speed internet....

anyways... :) U.S. actually *sucks* for broadband, but you could give all of Europe broadband easier than you could give even a handful of U.S. states broadband...
zengargoyle

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sun 04.08.2007 6:44 pm

clay wrote:

In the States, there are still many areas that cannot get DSL or Cable. The only option other than dialup is satellite.

Plus the cost can be a $30-50 difference per month.

Wow, I had no idea really... Here in Sweden you can get ADSL up to as fast as 24/1 mbit/s pretty much anywhere in the country. And in most cities you can get fiber connections as fast as 100/100 mbit/s. But then again, Sweden is a small country in comparison to the US...
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby clay » Sun 04.08.2007 9:46 pm

I had one requirement when looking for a house. Of course it had to have cable internet. Yumi had other ideas for the perfect house.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Games