Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Eating Natto

Eating Natto

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Eating Natto

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.11.2007 6:37 pm

It was a coincidence that I read this just after having a wonderful package of natto with my dinner tonight:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/natto.htm

I don't know how tongue-in-cheek that page was, but I think that Clay violated the cardinal rule of natto eating -- do not eat natto alone. I recommend mixing it with rice. The rice not only absorbs the stickiness of the natto but it complements the flavor very well. Natto-maki sushi is a good way to eat it.

Also, it doesn't taste as bad as it smells -- the taste is kind of nutty.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

RE: Eating Natto

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 04.11.2007 6:39 pm

I've had natto by itself before and it wasn't that bad. It smelled like a dead apossum but it only tasted like old toothpaste :)
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Kagemaru » Wed 04.11.2007 6:45 pm

There is odourless natto at the supermarket.

Natto is delicious by itself......
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.11.2007 6:46 pm

Well, I have eaten it alone but I find it too slimy, and without the rice as a buffer the sticky stringy stuff gets all over you unless you just shovel it all into your mouth at once.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 04.11.2007 6:57 pm

The one and only time I tried nattou, it was in a riceball thingie from 7/11... or maybe it was a rice triangle thingie. at any rate, it was something a friend forced on me, and I tried my best to put it down without making a face, but in the end, I couldn't help gagging. It was just that bad. But I think one of my Japanese teachers is bringing some nattou to class tomorrow, so maybe I'll give it a second chance? (^_^;)
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby PsychoSP » Wed 04.11.2007 7:00 pm

My wife always says, "You don't really know if you like it until you've tried it ten times."

I've tried natto 6 times, with rice, and I still can't stand the stuff. 4 times left before I can give up with a clear conscience...
PsychoSP

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 04.11.2007 7:54 pm

The best way to get used to eating natto (in my mind) is to start with natto omlettes. You just mix a pack of natto into a 2-3 egg omlette. It has very little taste, and you get used to the texture.

I agree with Chris though, I can't eat natto without SOMETHING (usually rice). My wife eats it out of the box with mustard. I don't think I care to ever be that hardcore. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hiwa » Wed 04.11.2007 8:24 pm

Except for some unlucky countries including UK and US, nation has its tradition of fermented proteinous food in which a part of protein is decomposed into its constituent amino acids giving both its characteristic taste and smell. I think standard serving of natto should be accompanied with a few drops of soy sauce(醤油), one or two spoonfull of chopped fresh leek(ねぎ) and a small scoop of freshly prepared Japanese mustard(和辛子, wagarashi). A NOVA teacher from UK were very much fond of it. It is also good with bread, i.g. sandwich, not only with rice. Natto could help maintain your health if you eat it daily.
hiwa

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.11.2007 8:44 pm

Cheese is probably the US/UK closest equivalent; it does have a lot of protein and a strong smell. Obviously foods that taste good when left to ferment or age would be very valuable in a pre-refrigeration society.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby PsychoSP » Thu 04.12.2007 12:19 am

hiwa wrote: Natto could help maintain your health if you eat it daily.

Yeah, but why bother? An apple a day works the same magic. ;)
PsychoSP

Postby Infidel » Thu 04.12.2007 12:25 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Cheese is probably the US/UK closest equivalent; it does have a lot of protein and a strong smell. Obviously foods that taste good when left to ferment or age would be very valuable in a pre-refrigeration society.

Don't forget, we are cheese heretics; because we pasteurize our milk before letting the bacteria grow.

I hear you have to go to France to get real cheese. I also heard, real cheese smells like dirty wet socks.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 04.12.2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 04.12.2007 4:51 am

PsychoSP wrote:
hiwa wrote: Natto could help maintain your health if you eat it daily.

Yeah, but why bother? An apple a day works the same magic. ;)

I'm allergic to apples. An apple a day would probably kill me. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hiwa » Thu 04.12.2007 6:04 am

> An apple a day works the same magic.
Have good dog(s) in your home, good bacteria in your intestine.
hiwa

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.12.2007 10:28 am

flammable hippo wrote:
I've had natto by itself before and it wasn't that bad. It smelled like a dead apossum but it only tasted like old toothpaste :)

yes those are two of the best reccomendations to eat natto that I have ever heard.. try again.. doh!!
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.12.2007 10:33 am

Infidel wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:

Don't forget, we are cheese heretics; because we pasteurize our milk before letting the bacteria grow.

I hear you have to go to France to get real cheese. I also heard, real cheese smells like dirty wet socks.

actually there are only a few cheese manufacturers in america pastuerize first as they have the milk available fresh and don't need to keep it on cold ..

and yes, cheese has a very pungeant smell depending upon region, where it is stored and how thick the rind is.. while your comments are pretty close, they are also pretty far from the truth..

do some research on cheese production and the different regions cheese is made in.. it's an eye opener if you care to ..
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan