Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anybody like Miyazaki?

Anybody like Miyazaki?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Anybody like Miyazaki?

Postby Hiroshi » Thu 01.18.2007 8:06 pm

I love Miyazaki! Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime) is by far my favorite. The animation and effects are amazing, and I think Mononoke has the strongest plot line of any of Miyazaki's movies. Also, another great movie is Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies.) Not a Miyazaki film, but it's made by the same studio and utilizes many of Miyazaki's techniques. It's a very sad movie though.
Hiroshi

Postby enpitsu00 » Sat 04.14.2007 10:44 pm

Last edited by enpitsu00 on Mon 07.11.2011 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enpitsu00

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 04.15.2007 12:16 am

I've never seen any anime movies, but i've heard good things about Miyazaki's work. I'm rolling around the idea of renting one of his movies.

Wait, I take my first comment back! I have seen ONE anime movie. But I have no idea what it was. I had gone on eBay and bought a DVD that was supposed to be a South Korean movie called "Gongdong Gyeongbi Guyeok JSA" (English title: "JSA: Joint Security Area"). Instead of getting the Korean drama I expected, I got a Japanese anime film on the disc. The DVD case was correct, and the artwork on top of the DVD was correct, but the content was wrong. Anyway, there were no English subtitles and I couldn't read the Kanji where it said what the movie was called. I don't remember much about it, but I remember it seemed to be about a few high school students. I could only understand a few short lines, and a few isolated words in midsentence. So I don't know anything about it. I wish I could find out more, because although I was irritated at the fact that I got the wrong movie, I enjoyed watching it. I don't know exactly what I liked about it. Maybe just the fact that I was watching an anime movie for the first time and I got to test my Japanese skills (which were pitiful, BTW).
Takeo Saeki

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 05.04.2007 5:33 am

I would like to recommend Porco Rosso as well, in my opinion, it is one of the better movies of Miyazaki, then again, I really like them all, so kind of hard to rate one above the other. They all convey different feelings, and messages.

Also want to mention that, The cat returns, is not directed by Miyazaki. Though I think most of the films involving Studio Ghibli are of great quality.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby christian777 » Sun 06.03.2007 7:57 pm

Miyazaki fricking rox my sox. I love everything he writes. But, I have to say, "Princess mononoke" is def. my favorite. ;)
[small][center]I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. II timothy 4:7[/center][/small]
christian777

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Mon 06.04.2007 5:00 pm

...Could you, by any chance, you know, use entire words?!? I couldn't tell what you were trying to say for a while... :(
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby trabia-wind » Mon 06.04.2007 7:25 pm

yep, go miyazaki. =) i loved all of the ones i've seen of his.. ehhh.
trabia-wind

Postby Saya Minatsuki » Thu 06.07.2007 7:21 pm

Hayao Miyazaki is a genius. The art, music and plot for his movies are all so unique and breathtaking you can't help but be drawn in. I honestly can't pick a favorite because they're all fantastic in their own ways.
[center]Image
\"A pistols job is what its handler chooses, if I don\'t want to shoot, then I wont.\"[/center]
Saya Minatsuki

Postby Kashin » Thu 06.07.2007 7:59 pm

The two I've seen and love are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I watched a little bit of My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicca, and Castle in the Sky on TV, but I didn't follow them too well. The Miyazaki film I want to see the most right now Pom Poko.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Shinigami » Sat 08.04.2007 1:18 pm

howl's moving castle and spirited away are the best
spirited away = first anime film i've seen.
miyazaki is awesome
Shinigami

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 08.10.2007 12:09 am

Kashin wrote:
The two I've seen and love are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I watched a little bit of My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicca, and Castle in the Sky on TV, but I didn't follow them too well. The Miyazaki film I want to see the most right now Pom Poko.

Unfortunately, Pom Poko is not a Miyazaki film, however, it is a Ghibli production.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions