Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Make kanji links to respective pages

Make kanji links to respective pages

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Make kanji links to respective pages

Postby Steve_Poppers » Mon 04.16.2007 10:32 pm

Would it be possible?

What I mean is to automatically make any kanji that is/are typed into the page into a link that leads to it's page in the kanji section. This would really help people who can't yet read very many of them (like me! :D). Also, it would give us a path to follow in what to learn, because we'd learn what we're trying to read! It's a plusplus scenario!

While this would be really cool, I know it might involve a lot of work, and I don't want to cause trouble for Zen. ;)

So, think about it.
Last edited by Steve_Poppers on Mon 04.16.2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_Poppers

RE: Make kanji links to respective pages

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.16.2007 10:36 pm

Or, you can use rikaichan.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Steve_Poppers » Mon 04.16.2007 10:38 pm

I don't have firefox. :(
Steve_Poppers

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 04.16.2007 11:42 pm

no excuses! :) firefox is free. go and download it, install rikaichan, then proceed to smack yourself upside the head for not doing so sooner.

it would be too hard to accomplish on the server side. every single page has text from many database queries, each time somebody viewed a TJP page all of the text would have to be captured and then processed to add the links to point to a kanji entry. way too much work.

the other option is some javascript on the client side, like the ▼▲ buttons. but that is exactly what rikaichan does, and it does it so much better than i ever could.

really, if you're trying to learn Japanese, there's no excuse for not using firefox and the rikaichan plugin. it's just amazing.
zengargoyle

Postby Steve_Poppers » Tue 04.17.2007 12:57 pm

All right, then; I didn't know it was free. Thanks for the tip.
Steve_Poppers

Return to Suggestions