Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Penis Festivals....

Penis Festivals....

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Penis Festivals....

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.16.2007 11:31 pm

AJBryant wrote:

Yeah, us Judeo-Christian countries are so repressed we riot when people kiss each other on the cheeks.

WEEE!

An anti-religious thread!

IBL!

At least I didn't see anyone give the standard line, "Well, every religion has extreme violent elements."
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 04.16.2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Mon 04.16.2007 11:56 pm

Yeah, never cross a Quaker or an Amish person. They'll apple pie you to death. It'll take a while, but... ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby lalaith » Tue 04.17.2007 12:00 am

paul_b wrote:
lalaith wrote:
It may be a modern hangup, but it's still a hangup.

However
any sort of "OMG Private Parts!" oddity that you come across is a western/christian/catholic induced taboo.

so he has specifically allowed for hangups that were originally Western hangups being spread elsewhere.

Yeah, you're right there.

Yet, if the origins were from us, I'm not sure how much you can blame the West/Christianity for what's happening today. In the U.S., the Adult industry (in film & magazine) hasn't been required to fig leaf in decades, certainly not in my lifetime. That article I read about TP made it clear it's redevelopment and current popularity are quite recent, long after you could ask for a magazine from behind the counter in the U.S. I also had the impression (and what another poster said also makes me think this) that the censorship standards don't just apply to "Adult" images, but also apply to legitimate film and other forms of art as well.

As we don't do this in the Christian West & have not in decades, if Japan is still doing it in 2007, then I'd say it sounds like, whatever the origins, it's their hang-up now.
lalaith

Postby keatonatron » Tue 04.17.2007 9:26 am

zengargoyle wrote:
the way i heard it was that adult genitalia can not be shown, i.e. no pubic hair.

I heard that too a long time ago, but it's not true. I found that out the first time I came to japan and bought a magazine with a pretty girl on the front. Turned out to be full of nude pictures! And they did show pubic hair ;)
keatonatron

Postby janisuhoshi » Tue 04.17.2007 1:00 pm

-
Last edited by janisuhoshi on Fri 03.15.2013 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
janisuhoshi

Postby janisuhoshi » Tue 04.17.2007 1:01 pm

Last edited by janisuhoshi on Fri 03.15.2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
janisuhoshi

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 04.17.2007 3:03 pm

Infidel wrote:

At least I didn't see anyone give the standard line, "Well, every religion has extreme violent elements."

show me one relition that does not have at least one fundamentalist/fanatic group then..

it isn't that every religion has extreme violent elements, it is that every religion will have those that are extremely fanatic about what they believe such that they go even against their own beliefs to the end of being excommunicated from said religion..
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Tue 04.17.2007 3:57 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Infidel wrote:

show me one relition that does not have at least one fundamentalist/fanatic group then..

it isn't that every religion has extreme violent elements, it is that every religion will have those that are extremely fanatic about what they believe such that they go even against their own beliefs to the end of being excommunicated from said religion..

I wouldn't say Buddhism doesn't have a fanatic like that, but I've never heard of one. Has anybody heard of a Buddhist that's killed in the name of his religion?

Also, I think Infidel was making the point that nobody had said that yet. I don't think he was trying to say it himself
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby PsychoSP » Tue 04.17.2007 4:35 pm

Dehitay wrote:
I wouldn't say Buddhism doesn't have a fanatic like that, but I've never heard of one. Has anybody heard of a Buddhist that's killed in the name of his religion?

Not yet. One of these days, someone will cross the Shaolin monks and get kung fu'ed to death.
PsychoSP

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 04.17.2007 4:55 pm

Dehitay wrote:

http://www.tamilnation.org/tamileelam/fundamentalism/index.htm
zengargoyle

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.18.2007 10:08 am

Dehitay wrote:

Also, I think Infidel was making the point that nobody had said that yet. I don't think he was trying to say it himself

I know what point he was making.. And I also made a point.. in otherwords.. point counterpoint.. that is all..
two_heads_talking

Postby Hijiku » Wed 04.18.2007 12:11 pm

with the whole fertility festival, is there also a GayPride kinda festival? cuz where i live, there is once in a while.
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.18.2007 1:16 pm

WELL anytime someone runs around with a 3-5 meter phallis, any gay person could take pride in it .. rofl..
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Thu 04.19.2007 7:02 pm

Hijiku wrote:
with the whole fertility festival, is there also a GayPride kinda festival? cuz where i live, there is once in a while.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

*clap clap*
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hijiku » Fri 04.20.2007 11:58 am

*not clapping hands*
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan