Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Laptops with torrent files in an airport

Laptops with torrent files in an airport

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Laptops with torrent files in an airport

Postby Rovian » Fri 04.20.2007 7:58 pm

This is for anyone who has downloaded files from torrents such as pdf, anime, whatever onto their laptops and carried them to an airport.

Do they search your laptops? and what do they do if they find the illegal files?
Rovian

RE: Laptops with torrent files in an airport

Postby richvh » Fri 04.20.2007 9:17 pm

So far as I know, they scan for explosives, they don't access your files at all.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 04.20.2007 10:29 pm

When I've flown, (only within the US) the most they checked your computer for files was making sure it started. They only did that check once. I wouldn't recommend having any
obviously illegal images as your wallpaper, and you'll pass TSA.

They could care less about copyright, which seems to be all you are concerned about.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby ghosthacker » Sat 04.21.2007 10:08 am

They don't search your computer, they simply scan it for explosives.
As a side note when I went to Japan (and also when I went to Costa Rica) they did not even search my bags at either the US airport or at the Nagoya/San Jose airports.

I guess the old fashion baggage search has been replaced by more modern tools.

( EDIT: if you think about it why would they. If you want to move electronic files around you can simply FTP them to a FTP server of your choosing anywhere in the world. No need to "smuggle" it aboard a laptop :D )
Last edited by ghosthacker on Sat 04.21.2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 04.21.2007 7:22 pm

Japan has recently introduced sniffer dogs for torrent files.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sat 04.21.2007 7:54 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Ah, one of these guys?

僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 04.21.2007 11:09 pm

No, real dogs that are trained to sniff for the unique odors given off by hard drives when certain file extensions are present. Particular arrangements of binary info on the storage media cause chemical reactions and scientists have isolated the unique scent released when bit torrent file extensions are present on hard drives. Dogs have been trained to spot them.

The sad thing is that somewhere out there is at least one person who read that crap and at least halfway believed it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 04.21.2007 11:29 pm

Well Mike you are one very convincing person who's sarcasm is usually very subtly added to your posts ;)
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Axlen » Sat 04.21.2007 11:47 pm

Torrents are not a problem anyway. They are merely a file for coordinating the sharing of a file using a bit-torrent client. Now if you are talking about the content you downloaded that's another story. Be afraid, very a~f~r~a~i~d... :o

Seriously, let us know how it goes for you.
Axlen

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 04.22.2007 12:21 am

Mike Cash wrote:

lol...

i've never even been asked to turn on my laptop when traveling, but this is U.S. only and on the California business commuter type flights (up and down the coast on day trips).

and it's probably good luck, since i run linux with a custom boot screen... this is the first thing you see when turning on my laptop:

if you're paranoid, learn to make an encrypted filesystem partition that doesn't automatically mount during boot. if you're really paranoid, remember the start and end cylinders and remove the partition from your partition table before you travel, you can add it back later, then you can pretend that it's just unused disk-space for future needs.

muahahaha.
zengargoyle

Postby keatonatron » Sun 04.22.2007 1:41 am

If you really wanted to smuggle data, it'd be so easy in the modern age.

For example, you could carry a discman with a CD-binder full of audio CD's--except half of them could be data CD's labeled as audio CD's. No one would go through the trouble of sticking every one of your 300 CD's in a computer to see if they really only contain audio!

(and if you need even more storage space, replace a few with DVD's. They look the same.)

Or, better yet, just use your iPod as a portable hard drive.
keatonatron

Postby Infidel » Sun 04.22.2007 3:56 am

CDs? bleh, flash rams all the way.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 04.23.2007 9:31 am

Mike Cash wrote:

yeah sniffer dogs are awesome, torrent in an attempt to keep these dog files at bay have incoporated brat cat files to keep the sniffer dogs occupied while the torrent file can be deleted.. at which point the sniffer dog pees itself and licks it's masters ears...
two_heads_talking

Postby ghosthacker » Mon 04.23.2007 10:58 am

zengargoyle wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

lol...

i've never even been asked to turn on my laptop when traveling, but this is U.S. only and on the California business commuter type flights (up and down the coast on day trips).

and it's probably good luck, since i run linux with a custom boot screen... this is the first thing you see when turning on my laptop:

if you're paranoid, learn to make an encrypted filesystem partition that doesn't automatically mount during boot. if you're really paranoid, remember the start and end cylinders and remove the partition from your partition table before you travel, you can add it back later, then you can pretend that it's just unused disk-space for future needs.

muahahaha.

They only want to see that it functions. A laptop with explosives would not be able to boot, so once the screen came up you would be fine. ( they use to ask you to do the same test with your cell phones too since most folks did not send them into the scanners).

Still say the best way to move files, for those who are not aware of such fancy things as streams, slack or partition table fun and games, is to simply put them on a thumb drive and store them in your baggage or better yet just encrypt them, place them on a FTP server and download them at your final port of call.

The best way to hide data is to store it on someone else computer and then wipe away any traces that point back to you but that can be very time consuming to setup and keep running. But if the risk your trying to offset is worth it well.....

Of course I would wonder just what you are moving that needs this kinda "security". :o
Last edited by ghosthacker on Mon 04.23.2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Return to General off topic