Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Firefox tabs

Firefox tabs

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Firefox tabs

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.16.2007 5:17 pm

Hello, people!

Some time ago, I changed my "browser of choice" from IE to Firefox. I like it a lot so far but there's just one tiny thing I miss from IE which is bothering me, and I wonder if there's a solution.

It has got to do with the tabs. When I opened a new window in IE from the menu, it would go straight to the address the old page was in. For example, if I was seeing the thread "I luv romanji" here, then another page would open with the same "I luv romanji" thread, so I would end up having two windows with the same website, which was very useful to me.

However, when in Firefox I go to the menu and create a "new tab", it creates an empty page and I must write the address all over again to reach the "I luv romanji" thread and have two "I luv romanji" tabs.

Having two tabs/windows with the same thread is very useful because I write a reply and, just before sending it, I like to see if there is a new response in the thread that doesn't say the same thing I am saying so I don't look like a parrot, repeating what the poster above said. So what I do is refresh the tab/window that doesn't have the response, see if there's anything new, and if there is nothing I send the message from the tab/window with the response.

Sorry about the lengthy post. I hope there's a solution to this.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Firefox tabs

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 04.16.2007 5:32 pm

All I have to say is that I have never heard anyone name one of my all-time most hated "features" of IE as something they *want*.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 04.16.2007 5:35 pm

To load a link in a tab, you can do one of the following:

* Middle-click the link. (If you have a mouse wheel, clicking the wheel is
equivalent to middle-clicking.)

* Drag the link and drop it on an empty space in the Tab Bar. (If only one
web page is open, the Tab Bar may be hidden. See Customizing Tabbed Browsing for information on how
to change this.)

* Drag and drop the link onto a tab to open the link in that tab.

* Right-clickPress Ctrl,
click on the link and choose Open Link in New Tab from the context menu.

Well, I have been wondering the same thing as you, Tanuki... Sadly, the answer is annoying. I tested out the middle click thing, and it's pretty cool... The drag and drop is okay.

Ah well.

By the way, I copied this directly from the 'Firefox help' thing.
Last edited by Tspoonami on Mon 04.16.2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby aKuMu » Mon 04.16.2007 5:38 pm

Theres an extension called >Tabmix plus< this enhances your Tab options. (you can set new tab to current site)
and you can open a new tab with ctrl+T
Last edited by aKuMu on Mon 04.16.2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Dehitay » Mon 04.16.2007 8:17 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
All I have to say is that I have never heard anyone name one of my all-time most hated "features" of IE as something they *want*.

heh, have you seen AOL's browser by any chance? My dad uses AOL and I would quickly nominate that for the most hated browser award
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 04.16.2007 8:24 pm

i think the proper answer in this case is that you use the middle mouse button and click on either New Reply or one of the Quote buttons. then your new tab will be ready for you to enter your reply, and your current tab will still have the original thread.
just ignore the little Quick Reply box. it is there for ... Quick Replies ... if it takes you that long to compose a post, you should be using the New Reply function (it also gives you the option to preview your post.)

why in the world would you want the exact same page to be duplicated in a new tab? :)
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.16.2007 11:36 pm

One thing I did like about IE, before rikaichan came along and made me permanently convert to firefox, was open new window duplicated my current window.

I could also hit back on the second window and go back a few pages on the same history as the first.

Now I just use IE for the about forums.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby jrivera » Mon 04.23.2007 10:28 am

If you Ctrl+click (quicker)
or right click the link then click "Open link in new tab"
on "New Reply" you can open a new tab for responding to the thread.

The original thread will still be open. You can go back to that tab and hit refresh or press F5 to see if there are newer posts before you reply.

I believe it works the same on macs with apple key + click.
jrivera

Postby phreadom » Tue 04.24.2007 11:20 am

jrivera wrote:
If you Ctrl+click (quicker)
or right click the link then click "Open link in new tab"
on "New Reply" you can open a new tab for responding to the thread.

The original thread will still be open. You can go back to that tab and hit refresh or press F5 to see if there are newer posts before you reply.

I believe it works the same on macs with apple key + click.

Or just do like zengargoyle suggested a few posts ago. ;)

zengargoyle wrote:
i think the proper answer in this case is that you use the middle mouse button and click on either New Reply or one of the Quote buttons. then your new tab will be ready for you to enter your reply, and your current tab will still have the original thread.
just ignore the little Quick Reply box. it is there for ... Quick Replies ... if it takes you that long to compose a post, you should be using the New Reply function (it also gives you the option to preview your post.)

That's how I do it all the time. I do miss having a way to simply duplicate a tab once in awhile, as I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do it... possibly that was in the full Mozilla suite.

But as for opening a reply in another tab so that I can still go back and few the article etc... or simply for opening links in other tabs... I use the middle click on link method all the time. Tons of times per day.

One of the other features I always make sure to turn on is under Tools -> Options -> Tabs, I set "New pages should be opened in:" to "a new tab", so that I only have to basically have 1 firefox window open instead of having multiple browser windows open, each with multiple tabs.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby jrivera » Tue 04.24.2007 11:40 am

Sorry I guess I prefer the ctrl+click since I don't have to take my finger off the left side of the mouse LOL.

Somewhat related:
Permatabs Firefox Extension

Adds the ability to turn tabs of your choice into permanent tabs. PermaTabs can't be closed accidentally (even when closing multiple tabs at once), and will stick around between sessions.

Useful for keeping URLs you use often, always one tab away. Also, useful for picking up articles where you left off during a previous session.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2558

Make thejapanesepage.com a permatab or even all your favorite forum indices!
Last edited by jrivera on Tue 04.24.2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrivera

Return to General off topic