Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionary Form

Dictionary Form

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Dictionary Form

Postby street fighter » Tue 08.23.2005 10:19 pm

Ive been making all sorts of lists about everyday verbs and adjectives. Ive been noticing that alot of adjectives in my dictionaries are in a couple strange forms. Such as; independent = dokuritsu no. Fat = futotta (my dic. says this is an adjective)
What are all these strange dictionary form adjectives? I especially want to know about the "no" ones.
Thanks in advance:D

(the answer is probobly so obvious)
Last edited by street fighter on Tue 08.23.2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
street fighter

RE: Dictionary Form

Postby Gakusha » Tue 08.23.2005 10:26 pm

の adjectives are ones that need to be followed by the の particle. As for "fat," of course it's an adjective, as in the fat pig. You may also run into some adjectives that require the な particle.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby Kates » Tue 08.23.2005 10:48 pm

No.... There's no such thing as "-no adjectives." I assumed you meant "-na" but you mention those later in your post, Gakusha. Adding の to an adjective makes it a noun, or a noun phrase of a sort. It's like saying "one" as in, "the public one" (dokuritsu no). For example:
yasui no = the cheap one
motto yasui no wo misete kudasai. = Please show me a cheaper one.

street fighter: Check your dictionary for "-no" and you may find a few more examples.

Okay, as for 'futotta'... it's a conjugation of 'futoru' 太る = to GET fat. Hence, 'futotta' is the past, plain. So 'futotta buta' is (literally) 'the pig that got fat'--so, a fat pig. See? ^^; A few verbs are used in this way.
Kates

Postby battousai » Wed 08.24.2005 9:23 am

It looks like everyone is confused. I've run across this question a good couple times. There actually is a very small classification of adjectives that use -no. The prime beginner example to remember always being 次 の. You may reference http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html to see examples(look up tsugi and click Ex.). Also, some nouns can also be made into adjectives by adding の such as 伝説 meaning legend and 伝説 の meaning legendary or of legend.

Kates, what you actually refer to is using の as a pronoun and is not making the adjective into a noun. The only rule is that the topic or idea is introduced before using の to represent it. But 安い is stil an adjective. I believe what you got mixed up with is using の after a verb to make it a noun phrase, which is absolutely correct. You can refer to this http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=no to see the usages of の. If you scroll down and read the examples and notes on the other uses of の it becomes clearer. Hope this helps.

Edit: Added URL references.
Last edited by battousai on Wed 08.24.2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
battousai

Postby Kates » Wed 08.24.2005 9:36 am

Ahh... that sounds a lot better than what I spouted out. >_< I was talking about something totally different... (which makes sense, now that I realize I used an -i adj in my example... -_-) Thanks for correcting us, battousai. (:
Kates

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems