Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Earthquakes

Earthquakes

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Earthquakes

Postby Hatori » Sat 04.28.2007 12:34 am

Hello. I just wanted to ask if anybody here has experienced an earthquake in Japan. We watched this video about earthquakes and plate tectonics in science and it talked about Japan a lot. It also showed what September 1 is like. Anyways, I just want to know if you have experienced even a small earthquake while you've been in Japan at one time or another.

I'm not too keen on sciences, but I just wanted to hear what you'd say about earthquakes. :)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Earthquakes

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 04.28.2007 2:52 am

I haven't been to Japan, but my girlfriend who lives in Osaka says she has felt thousands of earthquakes. I doubt she means that literally, though small earthquakes are common in Japan. She felt the disastrous mid-90s Kobe quake, too.
Takeo Saeki

Postby AussieB » Sat 04.28.2007 3:31 am

There are many small earthquakes all the timein Japan. You get used to it though. The worst I experienced was about a 3.5-4 which is still small by their standards but its enough to surprise you and make you go and turn off the stoves in the house etc. Big ones are usually followed by small after shocks.
OBy brother was in Okayama at the time of the Kobe earthquake - he said "Oh it's just a small earth quake" and went back to sleep - Well it was small in Okayama, not so much in Kobe!
AussieB

Postby keatonatron » Sat 04.28.2007 8:27 am

I've felt plenty. It was kind of nerve-wracking when I lived on the 9th floor of an oldish apartment building (and on the news there were many reports of apartment buildings being built with cheap materials that can't properly handle an earthquake). But now I live on the first floor of a 2-story building, so I'm not worried.
keatonatron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 04.28.2007 9:16 am

If you live in Japan for any length of time you'll go through many small earthquakes.

The worst one I experienced was that really bad Niigata earthquake in 2003 or 4; even though I was in Tochigi, it was still 4 or 4.5 there. The aftershocks were worse than most normal earthquakes I had experienced up to that point. It was quite scary; I can't imagine what it must have been like in Niigata.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Hatori » Sat 04.28.2007 11:22 pm

Thanks for letting me know, guys. If I don't actually ASK people, I basically think that 90% of the stuff we learn at school is TOTAL BS, which most of it is.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby richvh » Sun 04.29.2007 8:57 am

Despite having been stationed in Japan for a year, and southern California for a short period, the only quake I have ever felt was, in all places, New York State, and that only because I was lying in a shaky wood-frame bed that amplified the movement. None of my classmates believed that I had felt it the next day when I told about it during current events in Social Studies class, though the quake had made the news.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Infidel » Sun 04.29.2007 9:47 am

Hatori wrote:
Thanks for letting me know, guys. If I don't actually ASK people, I basically think that 90% of the stuff we learn at school is TOTAL BS, which most of it is.

Usually it's the other way around. Just asking random joe nets about a 90% BS to what is taught at school. Errors creep in, but at least it isn't usually because someone's friend's brother's cousen's uncle's ex-girlfriend said so and they are just passing it along.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hatori » Sun 04.29.2007 6:55 pm

Infidel wrote:
Hatori wrote:

Usually it's the other way around. Just asking random joe nets about a 90% BS to what is taught at school. Errors creep in, but at least it isn't usually because someone's friend's brother's cousen's uncle's ex-girlfriend said so and they are just passing it along.

I'm totally confused.
T.T
But highschool is where they teach the worse and I question authority often. XD
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby keatonatron » Sun 04.29.2007 10:54 pm

Hatori wrote:
I'm totally confused.
T.T

Perhaps you have a highly distorted view of reality, and so the 90% factual information you receive at school is perceived to be 90% BS.

I think I know what America's education problems stem from: students simply don't believe their teachers. Where did this lack of trust come from? And if you had no evidence in the first place that what they are saying isn't true, why did you stop believing?
keatonatron

Postby lalaith » Sun 04.29.2007 11:43 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Hatori wrote:
I'm totally confused.
T.T

Perhaps you have a highly distorted view of reality, and so the 90% factual information you receive at school is perceived to be 90% BS.

I think I know what America's education problems stem from: students simply don't believe their teachers. Where did this lack of trust come from? And if you had no evidence in the first place that what they are saying isn't true, why did you stop believing?

I had a teacher in high school who did an entire presentation backwards from what the text said. After class I went up to him and pointed out his error (not in any smart-ass way, just factually) and he got mad at me. The next day he did have the grace to apologize to me, but he never corrected what he told the class.

In college, there was a history teacher who made a wrong statement about the Congressional Record. (I had just seen a news piece on it.) I tried to correct him & he over rode me by yelling. I was young, it was my first semester in college. Today I would mop the floor with him & then wipe my shoes on what was left. The interesting thing about it was afterwards he told me he knew I was right, but he didn't want the class to get into a discussion about it.

So, though I think Hatori's perceptions about 90% of it being wrong is too high a percentage (& that 90% number maybe hyperbole on Hatori's part), I think you're right to keep in mind that your teachers may not always correct. And, even sadder, they may not care that they are incorrect.
Last edited by lalaith on Mon 04.30.2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Infidel » Mon 04.30.2007 1:35 am

heck, even in 2nd grade, I was taking my math answers up to the teacher

I took a lot of stuff up to my teachers that was wrong and they generally accepted my corrections gracously, this happened about once or twice a week at one point. But even at its worst, considering the high volume of information we are given in school, the errors only accounted for less than 1%--more like .01% of the information given. I think people demand machines, not people, for teachers and remember the errors all out of proportion.

Where did this lack of trust come from?

2 major sources. discussion of either would derail the thread into oblivion.

I'm ok with earthquakes when I'm already lying on the ground outside. Inside, I tend to get pretty nervous.

I've stood in the heart of about a dozen or more hurricanes, had tornado's pass within a block of me, and had to hide in a small dark room many times for safety, but I've only experienced one quake.

It was in northern california several hundred miles away. I was the only person who noticed. The vibration was weaker than a train passing 1 mile away.

Then there are all of
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 04.30.2007 8:48 am

Everyone who criticizes high school teachers should be forced to work as one for a year, then see if you're still complaining at the end of that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 04.30.2007 10:20 am

Hatori wrote:
Infidel wrote:
Hatori wrote:

I'm totally confused.
T.T

this is a trend started in generation x.. always question authority and you know more than your peers.. hey if you believe high school is the worse just ddrop out and quit wasting your teachers time.. you obviously know more than they do.. hell you could teach them a thing or two about life right.. cause we all know that teenagers have all the answers and that us old people are out of touch..

oh wait.. no!!!! it's the other way around.. all us old people know everything and you whippershnappers are out of touch and a bit diluted in the brain matter..

Hatori, you really need a reality check.. cause we all know math is a conspiracy created to keep the young ones down and keep them confused so that language and social studies can come in and bushwack you when you are least expecting it.

(oh to stay on topic.. i have been in many earthquakes.. one was in Idaho, it happened in the early 80's while I was riding my bike around delivering newpapers.. I didn't even notice it until i got back home and the hosue was shaking..

another one was in japan. we were in chruch on the 8th or 9th floor of a building and it was swaying back and forth pretty violently, but I was told by those who owned the building that it was built on a hydralic system that allowed the building to move at its foundation and that the swaying was part of the engineering of the building..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Mon 04.30.2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby DavidMcGimpsey » Wed 06.27.2007 9:39 am

I have lived in Osaka for about 16 months and I have felt two small ones. I live on the ninth floor of my building and the earthquakes both woke me up! When I woke up it felt like I was on a boat!
DavidMcGimpsey

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan