Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learn Japanese with Anki

Learn Japanese with Anki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learn Japanese with Anki

Postby resolve » Wed 04.11.2007 8:43 am

Hi folks,

I posted a few months ago about a flashcard program which has drastically improved my memory retention and motivation. I've continued to try and improve it over the last few months, and while there's still a lot to do, the base functionality is pretty stable.

Anki has:

- A new, improved spaced repetition algorithm designed to show you cards only as often as necessary. After 7 correct repetitions you will be repeating the card once a year! Likewise, difficult to remember cards are shown more often.
- Statistics so you can see exactly how well your memory is going.
- Tools to look up words or kanji in 英辞朗 (ALC) and edict.
- Automatic generation of furigana when you add kanji
- A (currently basic) web interface for when you're not at your home computer.
- The ability to practice on your cell phone if you live in Japan.
- Windows, Linux and Mac support (The Mac version is a bit old - the guy who makes the Mac versions for me lost his internet a while back)
- Both an English and Japanese interface (corrections on my Japanese welcome!)
- It's free!

Spaced repetition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition) is a simple concept, but remarkably underused by people studying a foreign language. I discovered it 6 months ago, a few years into my Japanese studies, and was suprised at how much it improved my progress. Since then I've been recommending it to anyone I can.

The main window:

The cell phone interface:

Download at:

http://ichi2.net/anki/
Last edited by resolve on Wed 01.02.2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
resolve

RE: New release of Anki (fc)

Postby richvh » Wed 04.11.2007 9:23 am

On your download page you mention Kakashi, which can automatically generate furigana in Anki. What is it, and where can it be gotten? You didn't provide a link.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby resolve » Wed 04.11.2007 9:35 am

Hi Rich,

Kakasi is a program which parses Japanese text, and can automatically generate furigana, romaji, etc.

The link is provided directly under the windows installer link. Perhaps you were looking at the Japanese text instead - which doesn't mention it, as Japanese speakers usually don't need furigana!

Here's a direct link, anyway. http://repose.cx/anki/download/anki-kakasi.exe

If you use linux, it should be in your distribution.

Cheers,
resolve

Postby richvh » Wed 04.11.2007 9:44 am

Just tried running it, and got this in the anki.exe.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 1470, in <module>
File "main.py", line 109, in __init__
File "main.py", line 246, in maybeLoadLastDeck
File "main.py", line 122, in moveToState
File "main.py", line 132, in moveToState
File "main.py", line 861, in disableDeckMenuItems
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 10964, in Enable
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "item" failed at ..\..\src\common\menucmn.cpp(1055) in wxMenuBarBase::Enable(): attempt to enable an item which doesn't exist
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

RE: Thanks!

Postby resolve » Wed 04.11.2007 9:58 am

Thanks for the quick error report. My regular users didn't report this problem because it only started occurring recently for people who've never used the program before.

Please try 0.16.1, now on the website.

Cheers,
resolve

Postby resolve » Fri 04.20.2007 10:13 am

Hi all,

I've spent the last 5 days porting it to a better toolkit library and improving the aesthetics since there wasn't much feedback last time. In the process I fixed a bunch of bugs and added some neat new features like "show jouyou kanji not in your deck". Please check out the screenshots page below and see what you think.

http://repose.cx/anki/shots.html

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby ghosthacker » Mon 04.23.2007 12:28 pm

Nice program!

I tried using "supermem" for studying Japanese but found it was too hard to setup.
Anki is much easier so I can get started using it right away rather then spend hours trying to figure out how to setup the cards.

Great job!!
ghosthacker

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 04.23.2007 12:47 pm

I've taken a quick look at this, not bad at all. I know that I'll be using this for my studies.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Azure » Mon 04.23.2007 2:15 pm

I am completely new to these programs and a bit useless with computing in general. Can someone please explain the gist of this to me beyond the "spaced repitition" bit?

Do I just write in my own stuff and then review it as I have entered it parallel with my own studies? I noticed an import button but saw no lists of where to get data from that was obvious to me : /

I looked up the "help" and it took me back to downloading it.

Many thansk though to the OP who created the program it seems to be such a productivity asset, I was seriously thinking about cutting out my own flash cards for the katakana which I am finding a bit more difficult than the Hiragana.

Thanks any and all.

EDIT:> I have successfully opened up the hiragana packs, this is fantastic. Well done!

EDIT:>> Is there not a way to learn vocabulary without having the Kanji thrown in at the start? I know no Kanji at all at the moment but would still like to learn Vocabulary with this method... Or should is it that one should just stfu and learn the Kanji and get on the rails with it a bit more?
Last edited by Azure on Mon 04.23.2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azure

Postby Axlen » Mon 04.23.2007 10:03 pm

I took a quick look at it after installing. Looks interesting. I'll dig into it more this weekend. By the way., why does the program contact a site on the internet shortly after running? Is that caused by the sync feature?

Thanks for letting us play play with your creation.
Axlen

Postby resolve » Mon 04.23.2007 11:09 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

Ghosthacker: I can completely understand. Supermemo has a very good algorithm, but it's clunky and difficult to use (and not free!)

Azure: The most effective way to study is using your own material - adding words and expressions that you learn from a textbook, a friend, some situation you feel is important. This ensures you know the nuance of a word and not just its English translation.

Having said that, I'd like to include some more example decks in the future, so people can get a better feel for how it works before investing time in making their own decks.

You can learn words without kanji if you'd like - just enter them in hiragana in the top box, and it will automatically leave the furigana/hiragana box blank. Of course, I recommend adding the kanji too - you'll be surprised how quickly you start to remember them.

Axlen: As I'm constantly adding new stuff, I added an 'auto-update' feature which will notify users when a new version is out. It checks the latest version on startup. If you use synchronisation to practice on the web, it will need network access for that too.

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby resolve » Fri 04.27.2007 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I've put a new version out. The two big changes are graphs so you can visually review your progress, and the introduction of better 'sample' decks.

In previous versions of Anki I made available some decks generated from a list of JLPT vocabulary. The problem was that these decks were done automatically by computer based on edict entries, which meant that many words had very long, cumbersome entries. Sometimes, entries were just completely wrong.

In order to provide some sample decks, I have extracted all the JLPT words that are in my personal deck of 3000 cards. In the latest version, there are three sample files you can use.

* jlpt2-1194cards.fc
* jlpt3+4-828cards.fc
* jlpt4-656cards-allfurigana.fc

jlpt4 provides furigana in the question as well as answer, so it should be useful even for people who can't read any kanji.

Please let me know what you think!

Download at:

http://repose.cx/anki/
Last edited by resolve on Fri 04.27.2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
resolve

RE: 0.2.4 out

Postby resolve » Wed 05.02.2007 9:26 am

Hi all,

A new release of Anki is out. It features:

* more graphs
* better, more detailed statistics and visual progress bars
* improvements to the scheduling algorithm
* a number of bugfixes

Please check it out :)

Damien
resolve

RE: 0.2.5 out

Postby resolve » Mon 05.14.2007 4:15 pm

What's new:

* Adjustable graphs
* New cards are spread over a period of days
* Support a user-defined .css file
* Importing improvements
* Numerous bug fixes.

Have fun :-)
resolve

Postby Ezrach » Mon 05.14.2007 11:49 pm

I'm running the mac version, and I was just wondering if there's a way to turn off the feature where Q:English A:Japanese is automatically added?

For example, if I add Q:これはペンです。 A: This is a pen. Then it automatically adds the question going from J->E and from E->J. I don't want the E->J.
Ezrach

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips