Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can you tell me how to ask?

Can you tell me how to ask?

Do you have a translation question?

Can you tell me how to ask?

Postby Nebby4T » Wed 08.24.2005 3:38 pm

I need to request that my japanese teacher move me up to third year from second year japanese but I would like to ask her in Japanese. Could someone help me construct the way to ask her?
Last edited by Nebby4T on Wed 08.24.2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebby4T

RE: Can you tell me how to ask?

Postby Kates » Wed 08.24.2005 7:32 pm

.... shouldn't a 'deserve to be in third year' student be able to figure this out on his/her own...? Or by 'year' do you mean 'semester'....?
Kates

Postby Nebby4T » Wed 08.24.2005 8:39 pm

third year in my school is nothing more then being able to write hiragana and katakana. I guess you could call it semester.
Nebby4T

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.24.2005 10:04 pm

I agree with Kate. If you deserve to be in a higher grade, you should do it on your own.

The following tells your teacher to put you into the 3rd grade class. Use at your own risk.

このえらいおれは さんねんせいのじゅぎょうに いるはずだから、 いれなさい。
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Nebby4T » Fri 08.26.2005 12:09 am

are you sure that is right? it sounds a little akward.
Nebby4T

Postby mandolin » Fri 08.26.2005 12:18 am

... he lives in japan. :P
mandolin

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.26.2005 2:45 am

And I said use at your own risk. ;)

Really, just think about what you want to say, and then look up the words in your dictionary. Us telling you what to say doesn't help you, and it doesn't prove that you should be put in a higher level class.

As for your original post, maybe if you had instead said something along the lines of "I want to ask my Japanese teacher to be moved into the next class. This is what I wrote, would you please help me correct it? [insert Japanese]" Then I think people would be a lot more willing to help you. When you attempt to do something yourself first, it makes people feel like they:re helping you learn, and not like they're being used as a free translation service.

Try something like this: (Japanese word order)

Teacher, I japanese interest having because, second level class to enter want. I work hard to promise.
Harisenbon

Postby LordDisa » Fri 08.26.2005 10:32 am

Sadly, if your classes are anything like the Japanese classes that my boss's son is taking, then you would miss out on quite a bit of grammar and vocabulary that they teach even before they teach kana. Boy am I glad I didn't take classes on Japanese (at least I won't until I'm somewhat proficient at written Japanese)...I fail to see why they can't fully teach Hiragana and Katakana before starting into grammar and vocabulary. Heck, at the rate I'm going, I might learn the jouyou kanji before starting on grammar...but that probably wouldn't be wise.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby mandolin » Fri 08.26.2005 4:01 pm

In a classroom setting (especially for primary education levels), you probably have to consider 'interest' and usability as key factors in your curriculum. Students who take japanese and are thrown immediately into learning hiragana/katakana will be intimidated/bored from the start, and it doesn't make for a productive classroom setting.

Learning some vocabulary and common phrases and basic grammar can instill that sense of "immediate result". While I agree that learning kana first is a more important step, teens in general care less about what will be easier/better down the road and more about what is easiest NOW.

Before anyone flames me for that... I'll say that I know not all teens are the same, some are more mature and would benefit from a differently ordered curriculum. I was one of those types of students when I was in HS, I didn't see the need to baby people who lacked understanding (because even with the babysitting, they still never grasped concepts, only memorized enough stuff to pass tests).

That's why I am not in a formal Japanese language class. I have this mortal fear that it would go too slowly, and frown upon anyone who attempts to ask questions beyond the supposed 'level' of the course. It would kill my desire almost instantly. :|
mandolin

Postby AaRoN » Fri 08.26.2005 4:11 pm

I Live in Ireland we dont get japanese classes :( we have to learn spanish, Irish and French.....not thing good as u can see.
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby lomagu » Fri 08.26.2005 9:06 pm

I dunno.. I'd like to see what the teacher does after hearing Harisenbon's sentence. ;)
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.26.2005 10:58 pm

Iomagu, I'm glad that someone actually understood it.

*insane giggling*
Harisenbon

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 08.27.2005 2:30 am

I think that your teacher would be far more impressed by this:

きけ、 ばいたちゃん。 このえらいおれはたいへんりこうなてんさいなんで、 さんききゅうにいれろ。。。 やれ。。。 しまった!

If you are going to use this, make sure that the second き is in ききゅう. It is essential because it's a..... uhh...... a counter.... yeah! That's what it is...

Anyways, you'll really impress her with this one. She'll think you to have the greatest command of the vocabulary and grammar of the Japanese language ever...

::snickers::

I think that this sentence is much better, Harisenbon....... Don't you? ;)

P.S. Did I go overboard with that? ...... I hope Coco doesn't see this....
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sat 08.27.2005 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 08.27.2005 3:09 am

I'm wondering about the やれ and the しまった *laugh* are you assuming the teacher will beat him over the head with a podium at that point in the conversation?

And remember kids, when you speak to people of higher status than you, always roll your Rs! :D

. . .

I think we've totally destroyed any redeaming value this post might have had or ever hoped to possess. Ah well. And if Coco does see the post, I'm blaming it all on you! :p

And some corrections,

こうなてんさいなんで、

I don't believe こうな is a word. こんな is I think what you were looking for. Even that you don't need. このえらい俺は素晴らしい天才だから would be best, I think.

さんききゅうにいれろ。

さんききゅう is also strange. 中級 or 上級 might be better. Or if there are more levels, just simply 三級 might be best.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Sat 08.27.2005 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harisenbon

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 08.27.2005 3:20 am

At exactly what point might this thread have had any redeeming value?! To suggest that someone might think that at some time perhaps it could have maybe had any merit whatsoever is just flagrant and egregious.... :|

:D

Oh and there were supposed to be tons of errors in that... That was kind of the joke.. But thanks anyways. :)

P.S. With ききゅう I was going with "umbrella". I was trying to make him look like a complete, moronic jack-ass... And, you're right, こう was a typo; I meant りこう.

Thanks again. :)
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sat 08.27.2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion