Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can you tell me how to ask?

Can you tell me how to ask?

Do you have a translation question?

RE: Can you tell me how to ask?

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 08.27.2005 9:01 am

*Giggles Maniacally*

You amuse me greatly.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Sat 08.27.2005 11:22 am

Someone should retitle this thread "How NOT to talk to your teacher" XD Ah well, at least you two have fun with Japanese. ^_^

And actually, now that some members have said so, I agree: Skipping a level seems silly. You'd be missing out on all the vocab, kanji, grammar, ect that class will learn. Yeah yeah yeah, you can learn it on your own.... but I wholeheartedly believe that there's no better place to learn a language than in a class with other learner and a native teacher. I think you'd be kind of foolish to pass up ANY class you are eligible for... even if you felt it was "below your ability" or whatever. Any class is a chance for review and practice, if nothing else.

And, there are TONS of people here on this forum who don't have the chance for ANY Japanese class.... you should feel lucky--Japanese classes are still too sparse.
Kates

Postby Gan » Sat 08.27.2005 5:45 pm

Kates is completely right. I am in HS and hav no way to learn but through the internet... so... Arigatou for the fourms.. The Japanese page.
Gan

Native language: English

Postby mandolin » Mon 08.29.2005 1:39 pm

Kates wrote:
... even if you felt it was "below your ability" or whatever. Any class is a chance for review and practice, if nothing else.

It's not so much about being "below your ability" as it is about the order in which someone learns best, and at which speed. Formal classes tend to:

1) be paced at an average, which leaves a slower learner behind and a faster learner bored and irritated. Both situations leave a sour taste, especially when its something you want to be interested in. I think a class would sour my enthusiasm.

2) have curriculum outlines that may as well have been drawn out of a hat. Learn vocab and grammar first? Learn kana first? Put Kanji in with the early lessons or save it all till last? All these things are something that will vary from person to person, and so any given person in a formal classroom setting my or may not be getting what they need for comprehension.

I'd like to be in a formal classroom setting, but only with other students who have the exact same needs as me, with a curriculum made up just for us. hehe... that's utopian and unrealistic.... that's why I am not in one, and why I like this site so much. :)

I learn stuff from reading other people's questions and the answers they get, as well as asking/answering things myself. I find collaboration far more effective than lectures and tests. Guess I'm a minority....
mandolin

Postby Kates » Mon 08.29.2005 2:20 pm

Answers to 1) and 2) Get a priavate tutor then.

Waiting for the perfect classroom will keep you out of one forever--and away from people you could actually interact with in Japanese. And if you want students all with the same ability as you, you'd never learn anything from them, I'd imagine--not as well as you could learn from a classmate who seems to have a natural ability to grasp the kanji, or another who somehow can nail the accent so great....

I've had classmates like this in my four years studying, and I've been a better student and a poorer student and have been able to ask my classmates for help and help them out in turn.

But, different strokes for different folks. I'm glad you have found something that works for you.
Kates

Postby Nebby4T » Sat 09.10.2005 9:50 pm

See, the reason I wanted to move up was because not only did I not want to retake a semester, but I had been studying the same material they were even when I wasn't in the class for a semester. I already have a firm grasp on everything I missed. And I didn't want someone to just tell me how to say it. I was hoping someone would show me how to construct the sentence myself. I want to actually learn how to use that particular sentence structure, and besides, I already was an A+ student before I was forced to leave the class for a semester.
Nebby4T

Postby Rafy28 » Sat 09.10.2005 11:53 pm

"And remember kids, when you speak to people of higher status than you, always roll your Rs!"

rotfl!!!!!

Nice Mr. Yakuza, with this you have just become my new best friend here, Harisenbon. I'm new to the forum, so nice to meet you all. I'm Rafy from Puerto Rico and I'm a Japanese teacher here in the Caribbean.

Oh, one more thing, I think I'm offcially qualified to ask you (whoever put the post here in the first place) to please stay in whatever your course level is right now. People are dancing all around you here, and if you can't tell, that's letting you know you shouldn't say a word to your teacher about the subject. At all.
Rafy28

Postby Nebby4T » Sun 09.11.2005 3:52 pm

Well, I did ask her. She was very pleased to see that I was considering it. I took the second year final, got 105%, showed her all of the kanji I knew, and she let me move up. I'm now ahead of everyone in my class because I studied so much outside of class. I'm glad I asked her.
Nebby4T

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion