Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New menu icons

New menu icons

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

RE: New menu icons

Postby clay » Wed 05.09.2007 10:38 am

Sorry for the illegal bump, but it is a different sub-topic.

Just added the other two and removed the lessons.

Question 1: Should 我が be just 我 or just hiragana わが?
Question 2: What is best for 'search' I chose 捜索 because that was the first in a dictionary listing, but would さがす or 検索?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 10:46 am

Just my newbie opinion, but i think the icons on the top are a bit redundant. I mean, anyone with eyes can see them at the left navigation bar...

The video part is fine if you want to advertise clay-san, and even the wakawiki maybe, since it's a little hidden in there. But the forum one and search, are the most visible ones on the left navigation bar, so i don't see the purpose of seeing everything repeated twice.

Edit: Ups, just noted the wakawiki goes directly to the FAQ (even though i had read it on posts above, i forgot while i was typing). So that one IMP, shouldn't be there as well, since it's well marked in the left navigation bar.
Last edited by sei on Wed 05.09.2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby lalaith » Wed 05.09.2007 10:49 am

Ooh, I really like the changes and the icons you picked.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby clay » Wed 05.09.2007 10:54 am

Just my newbie opinion, but i think the icons on the top are a bit redundant. I mean, anyone with eyes can see them at the left navigation bar...

You may be right, but I was hoping it would be convenient for the most used sections of the site. Any other opinions?

wakawiki goes directly to the FAQ

Yes, it was suggest to have a link to the FAQ as well as the Wagawiki, but this way we can 一石二鳥 (maim two birds with one stone). I am not sure if it would be better to link to the main Wagawiki page, though.

Ooh, I really like the changes and the icons you picked.

Thanks! I will need to correct the background color. There is a slight gradient that's a little off.

Please let me know about the Japanese on the two new buttons. What would be best?
Last edited by clay on Wed 05.09.2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 11:00 am

Well... ^^', just one thing i didn't mention, if you really are putting the icons there, then i think the 'Lessons' icon should be there as well.

I mean, this mainly is a site to help people who are learning right? So even if it isn't the most necessary icon, it would call to attention that the site as a focus on learning and it teaches some things...

About the japanese on the buttons... I wouldn't know ^^' It's not knowledge of my level yet, far far from it.

I am not sure if it would be better to link to the main Wagawiki page, though.

Maybe... it's easy to go to the FAQ from the main page of wagawiki, and the FAQ is very well marked on the side bar, like i said.

There is a slight gradient that's a little off.

Huh? Where? ;)
Last edited by sei on Wed 05.09.2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sei

Postby clay » Wed 05.09.2007 12:03 pm

I mean if you look closely, you can see where the images end and the background begins. Not a big deal, but I should fix that.

Both the Video and Wagawiki sites need to have an easy menu bar to get back to the main site too. That will be the next job.

I don't think the 'lessons' link is necessary because nearly every one of the other side or top links link to what I called 'lessons'. So yesterday the lessons icon simply linked to a summary of all the categories.
clay
Site Admin

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 12:10 pm

clay wrote:
I mean if you look closely, you can see where the images end and the background begins.

Ahh, i can see it. I wonder how the heck that is possible of doing though, i've always had problemas with those type of things. Too much for me i think, though. =P

I don't think the 'lessons' link is necessary because nearly every one of the other side or top links link to what I called 'lessons'. So yesterday the lessons icon simply linked to a summary of all the categories.

I don't get what you say here clay-san. If it is what i understand, than all the other links you have up there on the new icons have the same characteristics of the 'Lessons' one... Except the video one.
sei

Postby clay » Wed 05.09.2007 12:54 pm

I don't get what you say here clay-san. If it is what i understand, than all the other links you have up there on the new icons have the same characteristics of the 'Lessons' one... Except the video one.

Sorry, I need a nap. What I mean is there isn't a single page that lists all the articles on the site. And nearly all the links on the regular menu and side bars link to sections of the 'lessons'.
clay
Site Admin

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 1:05 pm

Ah, i think i get it. But having the 'Lessons' icon showing a summary of all the categories, be helpfull? Like the one you had up yesterday.

But i still keep my first opinion, none of them would be necessary if people cared to look around the site first. Everything is quite visible. And besides the side navigation bar, the same links are on top of the page, under the header! So that's plenty of links for people to see them easily.
Last edited by sei on Wed 05.09.2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sei

Postby Hark » Wed 05.09.2007 1:53 pm

sei wrote:
But i still keep my first opinion, none of them would be necessary if people cared to look around the site first

I think that contribution of the icons is to provide fast access to regularly updated features (video + forum) or to frequently used functions (faq + search). Of course that every user have different "most-used" feature, but especially videos & forums, which are regularly updated, are rather frequently checked for changes (at least by me :) ). It's much more user friendlier than 20 lines of tiny text links.

Wouldn't be pictogram with several persons more appropriate for the forum link? Personaly, smiley doesn't evoke that forum "feeling".
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 2:00 pm

Perhaps you're right. But i just personally don't like them. Everytime i open the site i see those huge looking things up there, i don't really like them (estheticly) and see the use for them.

But hey, it's just my way of seeing it, i can understand how for some it might be nice and easier, it's just not for me.
sei

Postby richvh » Wed 05.09.2007 2:17 pm

As for the FAQ icon, I think it's just a (possibly vain) hope that more people will actually read it before asking "How can I type kana and kanji?" and the like.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby tanuki » Wed 05.09.2007 2:18 pm

I find most of these nice, just not the smiley. It kind of looks constipated.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby sei » Wed 05.09.2007 2:26 pm

tanuki wrote:
I find most of these nice, just not the smiley. It kind of looks constipated.

Aww, i think the smiley looks nice! Seems like he is in doubt of something, confused. Forum=a way of getting your doubts resolved. (sorry about the english here, couldn't figure a way of saying it better) That's how i see it.
sei

Postby Valatunda » Wed 05.09.2007 3:04 pm

I have a few ideas for the Forums icon.

1. You could have a speech bubble. This represents communication.

2. You could have a speech bubble come from the smiley. This keeps the smiley but also keeps that representation.

3. You could have a speech bubble on its own with a few small smileys in it. This represents communication and the community.

Also, are you going to have an icon that links to the store?
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions