Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 田&本田?

田&本田?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

田&本田?

Postby Christian_ » Sat 08.27.2005 10:31 pm

Hi, I am a upper begginer and I know hiragana and katakana and some basic vocabulary and an idea of grammer ( like I know the meanings of some basic grammer words like demo, to, soshite, totemo, etc) and I think im finally starting to learn japanese and im very happy, Ive started to learn kanji from read japanese today and it works really good but im wondering about the kanji 田 which is pronounced ta or da and means Rice field. I dont know how the two kanji 羽(hane) and 田( ta or da in this case DA) can come together to mean airport that would mean wing rice field or something like that. I can see how that may be wing field if you drop the rice but is that normally the case is the kanji really just normally used to mean field? thats all I was wondering about. and my book says that honda basically means origianl rice paddy? is that correct because that doesnt have much to do with cars or motorcycles. Thanks :)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: 田&本田?

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 08.27.2005 10:43 pm

I believe that 羽田 is just the name of the Tokyo airport; it doesn't actually mean airport.

寄航 [きこう] - (n,vs) calling at a port or airport.
空港 [くうこう] - (n) airport.
国際空港 [こくさいくうこう] - international airport.
飛行場 [ひこうじょう] - (n) airport.
臨空 [りんくう] - (adj-no,n-pref) airport site, adjacent to airport.

As for Honda, that's just the name of a company; It was also probably the surname of the man who founded the company. A thing's appelation doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with its function or purpose.

Just as I have no idea what a 本田 (source of rice paddies) would be, I have no freaking idea what the hell a "Coca-Cola" is supposed to be. Does the name Coca-Cola mean brown sugary liquid that's really bad for your teeth? No. Does it mean that there is cocaine in it. Well, yes, it originally did have cocaine in it, but not anymore... :(

The same goes for:

Pepsi
Sprite
Fox (Do foxes have anything to do with horrendous television programming that makes me want to push pencils through my eyes and into my brain?)

You get the idea - I hope.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sat 08.27.2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Christian_ » Sat 08.27.2005 10:56 pm

Ok thanks I forgot that wasnt an actuall jukugo it was just like a name like publix or winn dixie. Thanks alot.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby kempokatt » Sat 08.27.2005 11:16 pm

Just for shits and giggles...

Coca-Cola is named for its original ingredients.

Coca * Andean evergreen shrubs or small trees of the genus Erythroxylum (Erythroxylum coca)*

<and>

Cola * Either of two tropical African evergreen plants (Cola acuminata or C. nitida) having reddish fragrant nutlike seeds yielding an extract that contains caffeine and theobromine and is used in carbonated beverages and pharmaceuticals. *

Pepsi is named for its original purpose...a treatment for stomach ailments.

Pepsis is Greek for digestion...also the root word for other digestion related words...pepsin, peptic, pepcid...

Also, Pesi never had actual "Cola" in it even though it is considered a cola (pepsi-cola).

As for the others listed...they have "reason" but not "meaning"...

[back to our regularly scheduled programming]
Last edited by kempokatt on Sat 08.27.2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kempokatt

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sun 08.28.2005 12:43 am

The primary purpose of my forgoing post was humour, hence the inconsistencies.

I knew that the names of those products which I listed had something to do with their function or purpose. I was just trying to make a point. (Although, the Pepsi thing was new to me; I thought "Pepsi" was just jibberish. I should have taken the time to look it up.)

Anyways, certainly there are products whose names have nothing to do with their function or purpose... That was the point.

As for the others listed...they have "reason" but not "meaning"...

Yes, I thought about adding a caveat of such a sort, but decided against it for reasons of laziness and not wanting to contradict the point I was trying to make. Anyways, they all have meaning and reason; it's just that the names of some have tenuous and obscured relationships with the actual things they represent...

I knew someone was going to come out of the woodwork to give me the etymology of the name "Coca-cola" or something... :@

:D

p.s. Cocaine was present in very minute amounts due to the fact that it was one of the many alkaloids present in the coca leaf...
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sun 08.28.2005 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems