Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Causative and Passive Practice

Causative and Passive Practice

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Causative and Passive Practice

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 05.12.2007 1:23 am

Like the title says, just trying out some causative and passive forms of verbs (along with the combined form).

My boss made me give the customer a refund.
部長はお客に私を還付させました。

I let the dog eat.
僕は犬に食べさせる。

Bill ate my daifuku!
僕の大福はビルさんに食べられた。

She is said to be beautiful.
彼女は美しいと言われた。

The train was made to stop at Tokyo Station.
電車は東京駅で止まらせられます。

I have a feeling I got my particles screwed up somewhere, but as always, any and all corrections are welcome.
Last edited by Teh_Freak on Sat 05.12.2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

RE: Causative and Passive Practice

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 05.13.2007 3:50 pm

部長はお客に私を還付させました。

I think this says "Buchou made the customer refund "me" ("me" sounding like the object being refunded in this case, as if you're a currency.) I may be wrong here, though. With one verb, and three to four objects being affected or doing something in this scenario, I get rather confused as to which particle to use. On an unrelated note, however, I think お客さん would be more appropriate. Especially since you're attaching the honorific お、 leaving off さん sounds odd.

I let the dog eat.
僕は犬に食べさせる。

Nothing wrong really, but this sounds more like "I will(future tense) let the dog eat."

Bill ate my daifuku!
僕の大福はビルさんに食べられた。

Again, nothing wrong here, but a better English translation would be "My daifuku was eaten by bill"

She is said to be beautiful.
彼女は美しいと言われた。

This sounds to me like "She was told she is beautiful." Perhaps a better way of wording this would be "彼女は美しいと言われる"

Do you have past tense and present/future mixed up?

電車は東京駅で止まらせられます。
This means "The train will be made to stop at tokyo station"

For past tense, change ます to ました。 Also, I think 東京駅に would be more appropriate than 東京駅で here. I may be wrong, but in this context, で makes it sound like the train just happened to be told to stop while it was at tokyo station. に makes tokyo station the target, or destination of stopping.

If I have any of this wrong, I trust that someone else will come and correct me as also. I'm still not sure how to properly word the first sentence.
CajunCoder

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 05.14.2007 12:36 am

CajunCoder wrote:
Do you have past tense and present/future mixed up?

Hah, I don't. I did happen to write those examples up along with my translations of them around 1:00 AM when my caffeine powered buzz was wearing off. Anyway, thanks for pointing those out, I didn't even to bother proofreading those the next day.

As far as the use of で, in:
電車は東京駅で止まらせられます。
I figure since it refers to where the event happens, で works just fine.

I'm also not sure about the first sentence, that を particle has been bugging me.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.14.2007 8:34 am

に止まる is better here, I think. However, the problem with that sentence is that passives and causatives are almost never used with inanimate objects. 電車は東京駅に止まる is fine.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 05.14.2007 11:16 am

I never knew about the inanimate object thing, thanks for that information.

Here's a small passage I made up translated to Japanese, it probably doesn't make much sense in English as it is, but the point is to practice the usage of passive/causation:

When the new game was bought, it was played by Bill. However, the game was cursed and was quickly destoryed.

新しいゲームは買った時、ビルさんに遊ばれました。 でも、ゲームが罰当たりから早く撃たれました。
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.14.2007 11:53 am

Once again, the use of passives with inanimate objects is unusual. The passive is used *much* more commonly in English than it is in Japanese. I suggest that you read a more detailed explanation of the passive in Japanese rather than just trying to translate English passive sentences into Japanese.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Mon 05.14.2007 12:06 pm

Intransitive verbs are commonly used in Japanese with inanimate objects where English would use a passive verb.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 05.14.2007 12:42 pm

Odd, I read that the passive is used more in Japanese than English; it must have refered to written Japanese instead of spoken. Anyway, thanks!
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)