Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My Professor WORSHIPS Graphing Calculators!

My Professor WORSHIPS Graphing Calculators!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

My Professor WORSHIPS Graphing Calculators!

Postby charizardpal » Sun 05.13.2007 9:50 pm

One time I was taking a statistics class and the professor needed to give me an add-code. But since there were six other students needing add codes and he had only two, he whipped out his graphing calculator and uses it to randomly choose a number to determine which of us would get add codes. I lost and he ushered me out with the feeling of, “The calculator has spoken!” while he continued lecturing to the class about how he had just demonstrated statistics.

Earlier before this the teacher told us there would be a lot of calculator use and recommended that we buy the most expensive and newest TI with the greatest amount of memory available. “Might as well buy the best one!” he said, while standing before the poster of a TI 84 that hung on the wall and which he probably kneels in front of while praying five times a day. His calculator was never further away than three feet throughout the lecture, because he carried it when he walked. I wonder if this guy knows what a bible is, but it doesn’t matter since he probably has acquired all the information he needs in life from the thick TI instruction Manuel toward which he directed us if we ever had problems in math which he couldn’t answer.

Have you had math professors like this?
ココモ。。。夢の旅行。 Charizardpal07 UserID: 19670
charizardpal

RE: My Professor WORSHIPS Graphing Calculators!

Postby Infidel » Mon 05.14.2007 3:13 am

at least your professor doesn't worship a slide rule.

I'd guess that your professor likes graphing calculators so much because he had to use a slide rule when he went to school. After using a slide rule for only 5 minutes, I'm sure you would start praying and offering sacrifices to your graphing calculator too.

On the 8th day God invented the Graphing Calculator, Praise the Lord! Amen, Hallelujah, gesundheit.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 05.14.2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.14.2007 6:47 am

Infidel wrote:
I'd guess that your professor likes graphing calculators so much because he had to use a slide rule when he went to school.

Home calculators have been around since the early 1970's. Just how old is this professor?
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Infidel » Mon 05.14.2007 8:52 am

Even though calculators were around for a while, even in the 90s they were not allowed in many classes.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby richvh » Mon 05.14.2007 9:07 am

When I took an advanced electronics course in the military in 1978-79, the first unit was on math. Using the circular slide rule I'd bought for high school physics class, I finished the unit test before the rest of the class, who were using calculators.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.14.2007 9:11 am

Infidel wrote:
Even though calculators were around for a while, even in the 90s they were not allowed in many classes.

No, but they didn't make us use slide rules instead back in the 70s.

And in any kind of engineering or math class you were allowed to use calculators in college in the 80s. This was probably true for college in the 70s. I'm sure as soon as they came out you were allowed to use a calculator in any class that permitted the use of a slide rule.

So for this professor to love his calculator so much because he had to use a slide rule, he would have had to have gone to college in the 60s at the latest. So it comes back to the age of the professor.
lalaith

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.14.2007 12:44 pm

richvh wrote:
When I took an advanced electronics course in the military in 1978-79, the first unit was on math. Using the circular slide rule I'd bought for high school physics class, I finished the unit test before the rest of the class, who were using calculators.

slide rules and calculators.. both tools that can be utilized only if the person who owns it knows what the frag they are doing with it.. in the hands of the unlearned both a calculator and a slide rule are nothing more than devices that make you wonder just what the person who owns it really thinks of themself?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Hijiku » Wed 05.16.2007 12:24 pm

My Prof. has the TI 83+ silver and a poster to go w/ it. this one has everything, even the Perodic Table of Elements! at what point did Calculators stop being calculators?!?!
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby lalaith » Wed 05.16.2007 12:42 pm

Hijiku wrote:
My Prof. has the TI 83+ silver and a poster to go w/ it. this one has everything, even the Perodic Table of Elements! at what point did Calculators stop being calculators?!?!

The same point phones stopped being telephones.
lalaith

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.16.2007 1:41 pm

well, even the most arcaic lcd calculator was nothing more than a dedicated computer.. there was a lack of technology advancement back then that kept them from being what they are today.. the same with phones.. again, they are both tools that over time have advanced technically and with that, they do more with less effort.

Personally I still like to reverse engineer whatever it is I am working with to check what my calculator is telling me, but even with autocad, I use macros that add up square footage, cubic footage, connection hardware, panel marks etc.. with advancement comes ease and with ease comes more productivity.. of course, as I stated before, if you don't know how to use these tools, they are nothing more than expensive lcd devices.. nothing more.
two_heads_talking

Postby yohance » Sat 05.19.2007 3:54 pm

lalaith wrote:
The same point phones stopped being telephones.

ahh so true.....
to me when phones are advertised these days it seems like the last thing they say about it is that you can make calls...

i'm betting if someone comes out with a phone and says in the advertisment
"no mater what network youre on this phone won't allow dropped calls but it dosen't have a MP3 player and a camera" it'll never sell
Last edited by yohance on Sat 05.19.2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
オセイ ヨハンセ ヴァルデズ
yohance

Postby yohance » Sat 05.19.2007 4:05 pm

and no i never came across a professor like that... :p
--
オセイ ヨハンセ ヴァルデズ
yohance

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.21.2007 11:44 am

hell the advertisment for helios (a type of multi functional cell phone and much more) is: "don't call it a phone"

that right there tells you all you need to know.
two_heads_talking

Return to General off topic