Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pics thread 〜2〜

Pics thread 〜2〜

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Pics thread 〜2〜

Postby lalaith » Fri 05.11.2007 12:28 pm

A ハーフ all grown up:

(The glare is from plexiglass. I was sitting in one of those big trams at Universal Studios Hollywood.)

Dinner last week at a Japanese restaurant with my Japanese class. That's me in the hat, as if you couldn't figure that out. (You might guess that I really like hats. You'd be correct.) The woman on my right isn't the instructor; she's a Japanese lady married to the man next to her. He's taking the class.

Now who looks at these and guesses that I'm half Japanese (without having been told)?
Last edited by lalaith on Fri 05.11.2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 05.13.2007 10:27 pm

Now who looks at these and guesses that I'm half Japanese (without having been told)?

If you never told us you were half Japanese, from these pictures I wouldn't have guessed but already knowing that you were part Japanese, I noticed some facial features that seemed somewhat Asian in you. I'm not exactly sure what though, it's just there :D.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Keo » Mon 05.14.2007 12:11 am

ok, well i guess its my turn.
try not to become sick looking at my pic ^^;

hiding behind one of my games

Keo

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.14.2007 11:50 am

flammable hippo wrote:

If you never told us you were half Japanese, from these pictures I wouldn't have guessed but already knowing that you were part Japanese, I noticed some facial features that seemed somewhat Asian in you. I'm not exactly sure what though, it's just there :D.

Funny thing is, that was my mother's face you were looking at in those pictures of me. As far as my face is concerned I'm almost an exact copy of her, feature for feature. Yet, as you can see, my mother looked very Japanese; she could never have been mistaken for a non-Asian.

A number of people have said something along the lines of what you said after they've been told. In my entire life I've only ever had literally one person figure out without being told that I was part Japanese and that was 20 years ago.

My mother and I when she was around the age I am now. Can you see the resemblance between us?

The other contributor to my genetic make-up. :)
I don't look a thing like my father. However, my build is definitely from my father's side of the family.
(The teddy bear I am holding in my lap is テッヂ児ちゃん -- named by my mother, naturally.)

The interaction of genes fascinates me. I inherited my face strictly from my mother and my body strictly from my father. The only spot where my parents' genes actually blended was in my hair.
Last edited by lalaith on Mon 05.14.2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lalaith

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 05.14.2007 4:28 pm

lalaith wrote:
My mother and I when she was around the age I am now. Can you see the resemblance between us?

You guys do look a lot a like :). But your mother's smile is different along with the hair. But other than that it's like looking at MaryKate and Ashley Olsen. It's funny how kids tend to look a look like one parent. I think I look a lot like my mom, but everyone I meet says I look just like my dad (which I don't see at all).

The other contributor to my genetic make-up.
I don't look a thing like my father. However, my build is definitely from my father's side of the family.

(The teddy bear I am holding in my lap is テッヂ児ちゃん -- named by my mother, naturally.)

The interaction of genes fascinates me. I inherited my face strictly from my mother and my body strictly from my father. The only spot where my parents' genes actually blended was in my hair.

Your hair seems to be more dominated by your father's genes along with your overall complexion. But in general you definitely are a lot like your mother.

And btw, you were a pretty cute kid :)
Last edited by flammable hippo on Mon 05.14.2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.14.2007 8:42 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
It's funny how kids tend to look a look like one parent. I think I look a lot like my mom, but everyone I meet says I look just like my dad (which I don't see at all).

I just think it's absolutely fascinating. I love to compare people to their parents and seeing whose genes show up. (It also gives you a good idea of how that person is going to age.) Have you compared yourself with pictures of your parents when they were the age you are now?

Your hair seems to be more dominated by your father's genes along with your overall complexion. But in general you definitely are a lot like your mother.

Actually, though you can't tell by that photo, my mother was as pale as I am. She just spent a lot of time outside.

And btw, you were a pretty cute kid :)

Ahh, thanks.
lalaith

Postby LustBaka » Mon 05.14.2007 9:07 pm

Well, I've never done this, so what the heck:

LustBaka

Postby tanuki » Mon 05.14.2007 9:49 pm

Lalaith, do you have a photo that shows your hair in all its glory? I remember you said it was very long.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.15.2007 2:25 am

tanuki wrote:
Lalaith, do you have a photo that shows your hair in all its glory? I remember you said it was very long.

Not its current glory, Jorge-さん. :)

This is the best I've got. It's from three years ago. This is me in San Francisco getting off one of those big boats that take tourists around the Bay and out to the Golden Gate Bridge. My pigtails reach to about mid-thigh (If you look closely you can see the pigtail on my left ending just above the red line.) rather than knee length where it is now.

Normally, I wouldn't show this picture as it is from my "fat period" when I had gained a few pounds. But it's the only one I've got showing the hair. My hair typically stays in the back so it doesn't show up in photographs. Besides, I lost the weight.

Oh, in case you're wondering that is my watch hanging around my neck. I got a case of poison oak while hiking in Oregon. Looking at the picture I can still tell how swollen my left arm was. Good grief, that was miserable. I itched for three weeks. And, no, my clothes aren't normally that wrinkled, but when you're camping, you can forget about having neatly pressed clothes.

BTW, I don't let my hair loose in public. Some things are best saved for private moments. ;)
Last edited by lalaith on Tue 05.15.2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
lalaith

Postby flammable hippo » Tue 05.15.2007 10:29 pm

Have you compared yourself with pictures of your parents when they were the age you are now?

I haven't gotten to much unfortunately. My dad grew up in Cyprus a long time ago to a pretty poor family so I don't think they took many pictures (if they even had a camera). The youngest photo I remember seeing of him is when he was around 18 (a few years older than me). Perhaps in a few years I'll be able to compare more accurately. As for my mom, I've seen a lot of pictures and we look pretty similar but it's a bit harder to compare since I'm a guy. She does however look a lot like my sister.

Whoa :D. I think you might have inspired Rapunzel. That's some cool hair.

flammable hippo

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.15.2007 11:03 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
I haven't gotten to much unfortunately. My dad grew up in Cyprus a long time ago to a pretty poor family so I don't think they took many pictures (if they even had a camera). The youngest photo I remember seeing of him is when he was around 18 (a few years older than me). Perhaps in a few years I'll be able to compare more accurately. As for my mom, I've seen a lot of pictures and we look pretty similar but it's a bit harder to compare since I'm a guy. She does however look a lot like my sister.

I have that same "no photos" problem with my mother. Japanese sharecroppers didn't have cameras. The earliest picture of her is with my father in her mid-twenties.

It can be hard to compare across sexes. I was looking at a picture of my cousin Pam (on my father's side) in a bikini when I realized we had the same build. Do you have any pictures you can post of you with your parents?

I had one of those "I wish the Shoutbox had an edit feature" moments when I re-looked through the Pics thread yesterday. I had looked at it when I first joined, but it was just too many new faces to go with new names. I remembered your Shrek picture & for some reason I remembered you as the XX in it. Then yesterday, when I went back through (all 64! pages) and I saw the picture again, I had that moment when I realized you were XY. By the way, your baby sister is awfully cute -- beautiful eyes. And I figured you for already being 18 based on your size.

Whoa . I think you might have inspired Rapunzel. That's some cool hair.

Thank you very much.
lalaith

Postby thecuteysakura » Wed 05.16.2007 2:11 am

if you post a pic do they resize themselves?
thecuteysakura

Postby lalaith » Wed 05.16.2007 2:50 am

thecuteysakura wrote:
if you post a pic do they resize themselves?

No, you need to do any resizing in whatever photo editor you use. However, you can use the "preview reply" button and it will show you the post with whatever size the picture is going to be.

In one of the earlier post either in this thread or the first Pics thread an administrator requested that if your picture is very large to not include the picture itself in the post, but just to have a link to it.
lalaith

Postby tanuki » Wed 05.16.2007 12:45 pm

Nice photo, lalaith! I bet maintaining all that hair must take a lot of time, you sure have commitment. :)

I like long hair very much. But only in women.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby aKuMu » Wed 05.16.2007 12:56 pm

In Woman? :o
aKuMu

Native language: German

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic