Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - too good to be true... Japan vs. Open Source Software

too good to be true... Japan vs. Open Source Software

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

too good to be true... Japan vs. Open Source Software

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 05.14.2007 11:08 pm

Japanese Government to move to OSS, on the heels of Norway Moves Towards Mandatory Use of ODF and PDF, and now... Microsoft Says Free Software Violates 235 Patents, but Microsoft Won't List Claimed Patent Violations.

is it too good to be true! Microsoft has run into monopoly violations in Europe, Microsoft Vista appears to be a dog, nobody is buying their new OS by their own free will. sure, new computers come with Vista installed, but corporate users are doing their best to *not* upgrade to Vista (my University warns students and faculty against using Vista). Vista is full of DRM software that makes your computer not do what you want it to do.

with Governments around the world (at least outside of the U.S.) mandating that their software be Open Source, it seems that Microsoft has gone on the warpath. just like SCO trying to go against Linux, Microsoft is trying to go against Open Source software.

what will happen next?

is Japan really trying to go Open Source and escape the Microsoft domination? i sure hope so... :) that would greatly improve my chances for employment in Japan, i've been Open Source Only for close to 20 years (though back in the days they called it 'Public Domain' software). i've gone close to 20 years without ever having to *buy* software, using nothing that wasn't Open and Free, and i can't imagine why anybody would want to pay for Windows, and then pay for all of the software that they use, and be locked into the same software provider because their software is not Open.

anyway... end of rant.

is Japan joining the OSS bandwagon? or is this just bad reporting?
zengargoyle

RE: too good to be true... Japan vs. Open Source Software

Postby Infidel » Tue 05.15.2007 12:32 am

most average users seem to buy computers for games and internet. If more people would make good games that don't only run on windows, gates' monopoly would decrease greatly. I know the only reason I use windows is because it is the program that my games run on.

I hope more countries go open source. DRM is really a violation of user's rights. Once someone purchases a product, the manufacturer has no business in how it's used. It's like a table manufacture making people accept an EULA that states the dining room table purchased will never used for any purpose other than eating food. It shall not be used as a platform for sex, card games, or hosting any tableware other than geovix, nor will it ever be chopped up and used for firewood or hidden under during a storm.

It should be illegal for a business to provide a product or service at the expense of consumer rights that are not necessary for the performance of that service.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 05.15.2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby HeyItsMatt » Tue 05.15.2007 12:53 am

Infidel wrote:
I hope more countries go open source. DRM is really a violation of user's rights. Once someone purchases a product, the manufacturer has no business in how it's used. It's like a table manufacture making people accept an EULA that states the dining room table purchased will never used for any purpose other than eating food. It shall not be used as a platform for sex, card games, or hosting any tableware other than geovix, nor will it ever be chopped up and used for firewood or hidden under during a storm.

I've heard that some Vista users have experienced issues where the Vista DRM has somehow screwed up their legally purchased mp3's so they can no longer play them. I definitely think that media in general is getting crippled by the hysterical defensiveness of corporations. I can barely even find drum tabs to songs that I like online, since apparently tab sites are getting sued now. Soon cover bands will be illegal.

I'm actually not sure if I have any problem with proprietary software on principle - my problem is when Windows makes a mediocre (at best) product, manages to get it preinstalled on most computers so customers don't even know about alternatives, and then tries to wipe out the competition.

I actually started trying out Ubuntu Linux a few months ago, my computer is dual booting Windows XP and Linux. I started out expecting to give up or go back to Windows pretty quickly, but a few weeks ago I shrunk my Windows partition to give more room to Linux, and I pretty much only use Linux as my operating system now. I don't really think it'd be a great choice for the average computer user, but it's very nice to have no limitations on what I can do on my computer, and not have to worry about being spied on by something Microsoft installed. Well... except on my Windows partition :)

*EDIT* I guess I just ranted without even addressing your post. I also hope that Japan is going open-source! I might be wrong, but isn't open source very popular in a lot of third-world countries and places that need alternatives to expensive proprietary software? Not that I am comparing Japan to a third world country - but I've heard that's even true to some extent in Europe. Perhaps the US is one of the few places that can afford to burn hundreds of bucks for an operating system that only lets you install it on 2-3 computers.
Last edited by HeyItsMatt on Tue 05.15.2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby SolidSnail » Tue 05.15.2007 4:03 am

Go Open Source!
Go Linux!

Lately, I've only been using windows for JWPce (a japanese word processor)
SolidSnail

Postby clay » Tue 05.15.2007 7:23 am

I like Linux, but I'm also a realist. I have way too much money invested in software for Windows to try to start using Gimp instead of Photoshop. :o
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby john2 » Tue 05.15.2007 10:05 am

Affter alot of advice alot of getting pissed.
I changed to a non windows browser, I mean one wich is in regards more stable.(I said compatible didnt I)
O0 whats the big different clay? arent they all similar?!.
Last edited by john2 on Tue 05.15.2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby Gan » Tue 05.15.2007 10:53 am

My friend has as copy of Vista that he got from a friend and hacked so he wouldn't have to agree to the SCLA (i think it's called that) and have to actually register it. He asked me if I wanted a copy of Vista and I kindly told him I didn't. I introduced him to linux Ubuntu and he is begining to use that very often now. Linux is what I would like to use but I have to go to the library to use the computer because I do not have one at home as of right now. I also wish they made PhotoShop for linux but The Gimp works really well none the less. OSS FTW
Gan

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.15.2007 12:21 pm

too bad that with the current microsoft piracy act, they check your computer periodically and can tell if you have a registered copy of vista or not.. I hope your friend knows that and I do hope he gets what he has coming.. (I really hate people that rip stuff off just so they don't have to pay for it.. with all the free, cheap and hardly any cost software out there, software pirates should rot in a deep dank hole in the ground)
two_heads_talking

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.15.2007 6:01 pm

john2 wrote:
I changed to a non windows browser, I mean one wich is in regards more stable.(I said compatible didnt I)

Well, the idea was for you to switch to something with a spell checker. Either that didn't happen or you're not using the function.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 05.15.2007 7:28 pm

You must mean Firefox. Kewlest thing about Firefox is hold-right-press-left on the mouse. Would be hilarious if Mozilla has that one patented.
Gundaetiapo

Return to General off topic