Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - About Katakana

About Katakana

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

About Katakana

Postby deathelysium » Tue 08.30.2005 5:16 am

I am having a big headache trying to make sense of those katakana replacement of english!!!

Can anyone give me tips and advice to understand those english words in katakana like ぼいんと(point) and アイすくリム(ice-cream)?

Is there a pattern?
Last edited by deathelysium on Tue 08.30.2005 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathelysium

RE: About Katakana

Postby Daichi » Tue 08.30.2005 8:42 am

I'm not sure what your question is exactly.

Are you having a problem with which kana are used to create the word? (If so, the more you familiarise yourself with Japanese pronunciation the easier it becomes to decipher).

Or is your problem with which English words have Katakana equivalents? (If this is the case, it's simply a matter of building up vocab).
Daichi

Postby Kates » Tue 08.30.2005 9:49 am

deathelysium: I suppose you just need to get familiar with the Japanese accent. The best thing to do is forget the English pronunciation when you learn these words and simply work on pronouncing them in the Japanese way and (as Daichi said) building up your vocabulary.

But really, maybe if you tell us WHY you are having trouble with this... then we can offer better advice.
Kates

Postby deathelysium » Wed 08.31.2005 5:24 am

mmm... i think i want to do it the other way round: forming those katakana word from english. I am quite familiar with those katakana as in i can read and pronounce them in a glance but i just cannot associate its pronunciation to english's... so maybe i'm hoping to find an easy way out... so no shortcut for this? something like all the "t" sound in english should be translated to "ト"... :(
deathelysium

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.01.2005 5:34 am

Kates wrote:
The best thing to do is forget the English pronunciation when you learn these words and simply work on pronouncing them in the Japanese way

deathelysium wrote:
i think i want to do it the other way round: forming those katakana word from english. I am quite familiar with those katakana as in i can read and pronounce them in a glance but i just cannot associate its pronunciation to english's

I think it's because your doing it the other way round that you're having trouble.

As Kates said you should forget the English pronunciation, because by trying to link the Japanese and English you're just going to make things more difficult.

Japanese pronunciation is different from English in many ways, such as lack of 'L' or 'V' sounds, and also the lack of hard consonant sounds. See http://www.thejapanesepage.com/readarticle.php?article_id=145 for a few good examples. After a while you can understand the logic of Japanese pronunciation of English words, but for now it's easier just to learn them as simply as Japanese words.

Sorry if it seems like Kates and I are ganging up on you, but we're only trying to help!
Daichi

Postby deathelysium » Fri 09.02.2005 12:19 pm

Daichi wrote:
Sorry if it seems like Kates and I are ganging up on you, but we're only trying to help!

Muahahaha! No I'm totally okay with it.

So I guess it's gonna take me quite some time to learn the katakana-english after all :@

Thanks guys... Lol...
Last edited by deathelysium on Fri 09.02.2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deathelysium

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems