Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The phrase in my sig.

The phrase in my sig.

Do you have a translation question?

The phrase in my sig.

Postby Supergrunch » Tue 08.30.2005 6:55 pm

The phrase in question, 「光る風の中夢の羽根舞い降りるよ。」, comes from anime.

I know it roughly translates as "The wings of a dream descend within a shining wind", but I'm not sure how to clarify what it exactly translates as.

I already know that:
光る = shining
風 = wind
の中 = within (inside)
夢 = dream
の羽根 = of wing(s)
降りる = descends
よ = emphasis

I'm not sure of the exact tenses, but I've picked up the different words from various places, and worked out the component parts of the phrase using the Japanese that I already know. However, I still haven't got the translation entirely.

Firstly, I've drawn a blank on 「舞い」. I know the kanji means dancing/dance, but what is it describing?

Secondly, some parts of the word order don't appear to make sense. 「夢の羽根」 seems backwards; shouldn't it be 「羽根の夢」 to translate as "the wings of a dream"? Also, 「光る」, which I believe is the verb "to shine" (presumably a "-ru" verb) appears to be directly modifying 「風」 without a 「の」 particle. I have read something about verbs acting as adjectives and describing nouns, but I was under the impression that a 「の」 particle was used (I may be completely deluded).

Hopefully members of this forum will be able to clear these problems up for me.

Thanks in advance for any help that I recieve. :)
Supergrunch

RE: a feather

Postby Uwabami » Tue 08.30.2005 8:01 pm

舞い降りるよ - mai oriru yo - "dancing or whirling" as it descends

since it's dancing as it's descending... "hane" must refer to a feather rather than wings.
Uwabami

RE: The phrase in my sig.

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 08.30.2005 8:23 pm

Supergrunch wrote:
Secondly, some parts of the word order don't appear to make sense. 「夢の羽根」 seems backwards; shouldn't it be 「羽根の夢」 to translate as "the wings of a dream"? Also, 「光る」, which I believe is the verb "to shine" (presumably a "-ru" verb) appears to be directly modifying 「風」 without a 「の」 particle. I have read something about verbs acting as adjectives and describing nouns, but I was under the impression that a 「の」 particle was used (I may be completely deluded).

夢の羽根 isn't backwards. It means the wings of a dream, or dream's wings. if you had 羽根の夢, you would have the wing's dream, in which you would have sentient wings having dreams. Kinda creepy.

Second, verbs do not need a の particle when modifying a noun. の is only used when you are talking about some sort of relationship between nouns, not between nouns and verbs or nouns and adjectives.

食べられた食い物 - the food that was eaten

発見されたゾンビー - The zombie that was spotted.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

RE: The phrase in my sig.

Postby Supergrunch » Wed 08.31.2005 5:21 am

Ok, thanks.

So would a more accurate translation be "the wings of a twirling feather descend within a shining wind"?
Supergrunch

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion