Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - All About Lily Chou-Chou

All About Lily Chou-Chou

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

All About Lily Chou-Chou

Postby HeyItsMatt » Wed 04.25.2007 1:41 am

Anyone seen this movie? I just saw it tonight. I thought it was quite interesting, although not perfect. It's about two and a half hours long and kind of has its own leisurely pace, so you have to be patient with it. The theme is the whole "troubled youth in modern society" thing, which may be a bit cliched but I thought it was enjoyable. I really liked the music, too... especially the song in the opening credits.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

RE: All About Lily Chou-Chou

Postby Frumious Boojum » Tue 05.01.2007 10:47 am

The music was the best part of the movie.... Salyu portrayed Lily Chou-Chou in the movie and released an album as Lily Chou-Chou. Check out her music, too. Highly recommended.
Frumious Boojum

Postby katafei » Tue 05.01.2007 2:11 pm

I've got it on the shelf, waiting to be seen.
comments on amazon were very positive.
Hope it's not too leisurely ;) for I buy these movies to hear as much japanese as possible.
One of my (unexpected) favourites is "The professor's beloved formula". apart from it being the sort of story I like, it also has a voice over for deaf people explaining everything that is happening. Non -stop Japanese:)
I'll watch Lily Chou-Chou this weekend and would like to let you know how I liked it...
Last edited by katafei on Tue 05.01.2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Frumious Boojum » Thu 05.03.2007 12:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8Csb69ggs

That has got to be one of the most beautiful songs and music videos ever... it's in the movie, but no spoilers!
Frumious Boojum

Postby katafei » Sun 05.13.2007 7:42 am

What a totally depressing movie! When HeyItsMatt said it had a leisurely pace, I thought it would be a bit like "April story". Somewhat slow, but moving all the same.
But no, this Lily Chou Chou completely different.
I'm not usually keen on restless camera work, I find it tiring and annoying to watch. But it sure mirrored the erratic, confused state of mind of the young people in this movie.
Especially the holiday scenes, where the eye is suddenly, temporarily, taken over by the protagonists. Very powerful.
It reminded me a bit of Wong Kar Wai's work, which I often like a lot.
Nevertheless, Lily Chou Chou left me feeling empty and sad. Is the youth really this fucked up?
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby lalaith » Sun 05.13.2007 8:13 am

katafei wrote:
What a totally depressing movie! When HeyItsMatt said it had a leisurely pace, I thought it would be a bit like "April story". Somewhat slow, but moving all the same.
But no, this Lily Chou Chou completely different.
I'm not usually keen on restless camera work, I find it tiring and annoying to watch. But it sure mirrored the erratic, confused state of mind of the young people in this movie.
Especially the holiday scenes, where the eye is suddenly, temporarily, taken over by the protagonists. Very powerful.
It reminded me a bit of Wong Kar Wai's work, which I often like a lot.
Nevertheless, Lily Chou Chou left me feeling empty and sad. Is the youth really this fucked up?

Is English your second language? Because if it is, you've sure got the English casual style down pat. I couldn't differentiate that post from a native speaker, especially that last line. :)
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby lastlife » Sun 05.27.2007 1:47 am

yea, that movie is emotionally draining. still one of my favorites, though.
the colors and the music is what i fell in love with.

loved it so much i even bought the cd.

for me, only the ether is real.
lastlife

Postby SirFirestorm » Thu 06.07.2007 1:01 am

I just saw this movie this weekend, I can usually stand these types of depressing movies... but lily chou chou was really really fuxed up =(

I won't say its bad, but I couldnt enjoy it at all. Some of the themes were straight up sickening.
SirFirestorm

Return to Japanese Movies and Music