Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - About "Newest Threads"

About "Newest Threads"

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

About "Newest Threads"

Postby furin » Sun 05.27.2007 11:23 pm

I'm not sure the category of this post is fine or not.

1)How to jump to the newest thread's post page?

Well, "Newest Threads" block on the side of this site is very useful to me. But for instance, when I click "Pics thread 〜2〜" link, it brings me to the first page of the thread, then I should click ">>" to read the newest post page. It needs me to click two times. As you know one click and two clicks are obviously different since I should have double patients for the page reading by my browser. Or are there any problem to make "Newest post" block or something?

2)I'd like you to make them shown more threads.

Now 10 new theads' titles are shown, but because of my lack of reading English ability, if there are 15 new thread would be more fine to me. Always I'm at a loss to find the thread which is fallen out of the block. "Oh I could find that thread 5 minutes before but I miss that one now. Ok, I forget about it." :( If I'm the only person saying like this, please ignore this post.

If anyone have the good idea for me to treat them, please let me know it.
furin

RE: About "Newest Threads"

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 05.27.2007 11:39 pm

I agree actually. I never use the Hottest Threads part, would be kewl to replace it with more Newest Threads.

Since your sig asks for corrections, furin.

If anyone have the good idea for me to treat them

Sounds confusing. Perhaps "If anyone has any good ideas to make it easier, please let me know."
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby furin » Sun 05.27.2007 11:47 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:

Since your sig asks for corrections, furin.

If anyone have the good idea for me to treat them

Sounds confusing. Perhaps "If anyone has any good ideas to make it easier, please let me know."

I see. If anyone has any good ideas to make it easier, please let me know.
訂正ありがとうございます。 :D
furin

Postby coco » Sun 05.27.2007 11:55 pm

風鈴さん
Super Therad Viewからだと見たいページを直接クリックすることができます(これもzenさんがつくってくださったものです)。
たとえば、"What languages do you know?" だと、現段階では35ページ目が最新なので、35をクリックすると、そのページが直接侮ヲされます。
クリック数自体はNewest therads を開く方が少ないのかもしれませんが、読み落としを考えると、Super Theard View に軍配があがります^^

既にご存じでしたら垂オ訳ありません。 ;)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby furin » Mon 05.28.2007 12:21 am

求めていたものがまさにそこにあった、 :o という感じです。 :D
ココさんありがとうございます。 早速ブックマークしました。

(Happy Birthday!スレッドが最上部に侮ヲされるというのも気が利いていますね)

edit: The Happy Birthday thread is moved away from the top ot the table.
Last edited by furin on Mon 05.28.2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furin

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 05.28.2007 12:35 am

フーリンさんお久しぶり :D

I agree that there should be more threads on the list. Maybe it could also be changed such that the links to the new threads went to the last post on the last page.

You wrote very well in your post (it was easy to understand), but there were some small grammatical errors. I'll correct a few of them in this thread. :)

I'm not sure the category of this post is fine or not.

"I'm not sure whether the category of this post is fine or not."
"I'm not sure if the category of this post is fine or not."

(Both are good, but the first is probably more correct)

How to jump to the newest thread's post page?

"How do I jump to the newest thread's post page?"

But for instance, when I click "Pics thread 〜2〜" link, it brings me to the first page of the thread, then I should click ">>" to read the newest post page.

"However, when I click the 'Pics thread ~2~" link, it brings me to the first page of the thread. Then, I have to click ">>" to get to the newest post's page."

Instead of 'bring,' you can use 'take.'

'But for instance' is unnatural. Also, 'for instance' the way you wrote it refers to the word 'useful.' 'For instance' shows that you are giving an example. But, if you are going to use it, you need to write an explanatory sentence first. For instance:

"There are a number of rules you must abide by. For instance, you may not use the swimming pool unsupervised."

You don't really need to explain that you are giving an example in your sentence (in the context of your post). But, you could write:

"The newest threads box is usually very useful, but sometimes it is annoying. For instance..."

Here, the sentence shows that you are going to give an example. This kind of writing is more like what kids write on exams. 'For instance' is seen more in writing than in speech.
It needs me to click two times. As you know one click and two clicks are obviously different since I should have double patients for the page reading by my browser. Or are there any problem to make "Newest post" block or something?

"I have to click two times, and two clicks requires double the patience. Would it be a problem to make a 'newest post' block or something?"

Here, you used more words than you needed to. My version is very short :D

I'd like you to make them shown more threads.

"I'd like you to make them show more threads."
"I would appreciate it greatly if the block could show more threads." (More polite)

Now 10 new theads' titles are shown, but because of my lack of reading English ability, if there are 15 new thread would be more fine to me. Always I'm at a loss to find the thread which is fallen out of the block.

"Currently, the block shows 10 new thread titles. Since I can not read English very well, I think it would be better (for me) if there were 15 new threads. I am never able to find threads that have fallen out of the block."

The second sentence here is odd, just from my point of view. I don't understand the relationship between not being able to read English and wanting more threads in the block. Of course, this could be because it is midnight, and I am sleepy. :D

"Oh I could find that thread 5 minutes before but I miss that one now. Ok, I forget about it." :( If I'm the only person saying like this, please ignore this post.

"'I could have found that thread 5 minutes ago, but not now. Oh well... I'll just forget about it.' :( If I'm the only person who feels this way, please ignore this post."

These sentences all have corrections with weird English. I can't think about how to explain them all... :(

If anyone have the good idea for me to treat them, please let me know it.

"If anyone has any good ideas for fixing these problems, please let me know."
(I think that is what you were trying to say... Your sentence didn't make much sense.)

日本語で説明したいけどできません。
(この文は正しくないと思います)
Last edited by Tspoonami on Mon 05.28.2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 1:24 am

I thought I knew my way around this site, but I've never seen the "Super Thread View". How is it accessed?
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby furin » Mon 05.28.2007 1:45 am

Tspoonami-san
Thank you very much for your corrections. All of them are very helpful to me :)
(and I'd like to read them again and again)

日本語で説明したいけどできません。
This sentence is perfectly correct, I suppose.

Image< my black cap looks fine?

lalaith-san
I thought I knew my way around this site, but I've never seen the "Super Thread View". How is it accessed?

All I can tell you is that is at the top of the table on the Discussion Forum main page. You can find "View Recent Threads" link, but it might be rather hard to find.
furin

Postby coco » Mon 05.28.2007 1:49 am

lalaith wrote:
How is it accessed?

Top → Discussion forum → Click 'View Recent Threads'. It's on the top of the Discussion forum page. Next to 'New Feature! --' . :)

--
失礼。風鈴さんとかぶってしまいました。 :p
…にしても風鈴さん、絵心豊かですねー。楽しませてもらってます。 :D
Last edited by coco on Mon 05.28.2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 1:51 am

Furinさん and Cocoさん, thank you for the directions.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 05.28.2007 11:14 am

in the past, Newest Threads had only 5 links... we increased it to 10 links, and it is easy to make it 15 or 20 or more. :) it is just a matter of how tall we want the box to be.

getting rid of Hottest Threads? sounds like a poll question to me.

going to the last page instead of the first... it seems to me that both are useful, if you haven't read the thread at all then you want to start on the first page. if you read the thread yesterday then you want to start on the last page.

what i would probably do (if anything) would be to make it look like the Hottest Thread and add a post count. the Title would still go to the first page, the Count would go to the last page.

2007 JLPT 4 kyuu... [90]

and if we keep the Hottest Threads, i would make the same 'number goes to last page' change.

it should be possible. me, i just use SuperView. :)
zengargoyle

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.28.2007 11:26 am

Wow, I wish I had known about SuperView a lot earlier. How can I get to that without coming to this thread to find the link? This is definitely not a feature that should be hard to access.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Mon 05.28.2007 11:28 am

What I think would be a good change for the Hottest Threads box is to display the threads with the most posts recently (in the past day or week or something.)

Edit:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Wow, I wish I had known about SuperView a lot earlier. How can I get to that without coming to this thread to find the link? This is definitely not a feature that should be hard to access.

Like Coco said,
Top → Discussion forum → Click 'View Recent Threads'. It's on the top of the Discussion forum page. Next to 'New Feature!'
Last edited by richvh on Mon 05.28.2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ss » Mon 05.28.2007 11:44 am

Actually, when you click on the View Recent Thread, those are Super Thread View, and you can choose posts newer than 1 week, 1 month, 2 months ...

I don't quite understand what's the problem here.... ? Forgive me! :p
Last edited by ss on Mon 05.28.2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby coco » Mon 05.28.2007 11:44 am

Zen-san, Clay-san.

I am wondering if the link of "Super thread view" page was on the Navigaton corner, people could find it easier.
Could you please put the link of it if it's not much troublesome?

お願いごとばかりですみませんが、もし、ナビゲーションの中にあると便利だとお考えでしたら、お時間のあるときにでも、よろしくお願いいたします。m(__)m
coco

Next

Return to Problems