Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - About "Newest Threads"

About "Newest Threads"

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: About "Newest Threads"

Postby furin » Mon 05.28.2007 12:32 pm

well, I've bookmarked SuperView already after reading coco-san's first post.(thanks for zen-san's effort). :) However I guess that many members here don't notice that useful page.

zengargoyle-san wrote:
2007 JLPT 4 kyuu... [90]
That sounds awesome.

richvh-san wrote:
What I think would be a good change for the Hottest Threads box is to display the threads with the most posts recently (in the past day or week or something.)
I think so. The Hottest Threads box shows the longest threads now. It will not work after all the top 5 threads reach to 1000.(it's a long way?^^;) 要求ばかりですみません。
furin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 05.28.2007 12:32 pm

richvh wrote:
What I think would be a good change for the Hottest Threads box is to display the threads with the most posts recently (in the past day or week or something.)

interesting idea... and probably possible to do.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Wow, I wish I had known about SuperView a lot earlier. How can I get to that without coming to this thread to find the link? This is definitely not a feature that should be hard to access.

long story. Super Thread View is not a normal part of the PHP-Fusion software, it's something that i wrote to fulfill a selfish need. in the beginning i was worried about how much Database load the page would create, and how hard it might be to explain how to use the page. (now i think it's probably the 'easiest on the Database' page on the whole site. :) )

it also still has a major bug... (see the Help page for terminology.), because of the way that PHP-Fusion handles your "Last Visit" time, the second/third/etc. pages do not work for the since last visit function of the page. but they do work for the since # hours/days/weeks/months functions.

it was also my very first large chunk of PHP code, and i'm sorta scared to go back and look at it again, i'm sure it's horrible. :)

anyway... i've just been too busy for the past 9 months or so to do anything constructive for TJP. my work has had me move about 1000 people and hundreds of machines from one building to another building, building an entirely new network along the way.... but the year long project is finally coming to an end and i should have time to do some more heavy TJP stuff... i've said it a hundred of times or so, but i want to move over to better written and easier to modify software. so i'm in bug fix mode, i'll try and fix problems, and maybe make some easy changes (like Newest/Hottest Thread stuff), but i loathe trying to fix things that would take a lot of time and would rather spend the time moving to software that doesn't need to be fixed. (end ranting :) )

there are some more [wiki]Undocumented Features[/wiki] on the wiki. :o
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Mon 05.28.2007 12:33 pm

I just added a 'recent threads' link on the side bar.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 05.28.2007 12:49 pm

clay wrote:
I just added a 'recent threads' link on the side bar.

i just changed it to 'posts since 1 day' so the page buttons will work. :) the different icons for 'since last visit' should work well enough to point out the 'unread' things.

edit:

if you visit TJP often enough that there are never more than 20 new posts since your last visit... then the Super Thread View page will work, but if there are more than 20 posts since your last visit, then the second/third/... page of Super Thread View will not work. so if you visit often, bookmark the Super Thread View page. if you don't visit often enough, then it's better to use the 'Recent Posts' link that Clay added, the Super Views based on time (instead of last visit) work as expected.

edit again:

i always meant to add News and Articles to the Super Thread View page. i notice that i use Super Thread View all the time and i miss the new News postings because i never see the main TJP page....
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 05.28.2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Mon 05.28.2007 1:05 pm

Clay-san, Zen-san.
迅速なご対応に感謝しております。
ご多忙のところ、お手数をおかけいたしました。m(__)m
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby tanuki » Mon 05.28.2007 2:02 pm

Thanks, clay and zen!!! I always use the superview and had to go through the whole process each time, but now it's just one click away! Great!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby clay » Mon 05.28.2007 5:18 pm

Should we take out the ?since=1d so it will show the actual new posts only? I didn't realize I had linked it to 1 day old posts.
clay
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Mon 05.28.2007 6:00 pm

clay wrote:
Should we take out the ?since=1d so it will show the actual new posts only? I didn't realize I had linked it to 1 day old posts.

I don't think you did - I think Zen said he changed it to that. 1 day is what I normally use.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby tanuki » Mon 05.28.2007 6:23 pm

Please leave it at 1 day. The "last visit" option never works well (for me, at least), so I'd rather have it automatically set to 1 day.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 6:51 pm

For what it's worth, I like the "one day" option, as well. I'm loving the "Recent Posts" being on the main screen so much I may never use anything else. And the "one day" option allows me to see if there are other threads that I may have meant to read or wanted to respond to. If it were always updated to just the new posts since my last visit, I'd miss the others. So the "one day" option with the "cross" on the threads that have new posts is great for me.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.29.2007 4:48 pm

well, there is a new Newest Threads (with a post count that will take you to the last page), and a new Hottest Threads (most replies in past 7 days, and post count that will take you to the last page).

but i fear the complexity of the Database queries may be a bit too much. TJP seems slower than normal at the moment. i'm not sure if it is the new code, or just a peak TJP viewing time...

edit: now that i think about it, i'm not sure the Hottest Threads part will work like i expect it to....
Last edited by zengargoyle on Tue 05.29.2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Tue 05.29.2007 4:56 pm

The server seems slow to me too. It will be nice when it gets a new home.
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.29.2007 5:02 pm

yeah, i'm going to put back the original Newest Threads code. i'm paranoid.

getting the post counts requires joining with the post table and counting the number of posts (there isn't a post_count field in the thread table). it seems snappy enough when i run it directly on the database, but if it's done on every page view it might be just a bit too much...
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Tue 05.29.2007 5:04 pm

Too bad. That was pretty nifty! Well, there's always Drupal.
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.29.2007 8:00 pm

ok, i think i fixed the really slow parts. this new version shouldn't be any slower than the default version. Hottest Threads are the threads with the most posts in the last 7 days (this can be changed if needed).

muahahahahahaha
zengargoyle

PreviousNext

Return to Problems