Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Simple Japanese books with furigana?

Simple Japanese books with furigana?

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Simple Japanese books with furigana?

Postby Jei-kyon » Tue 05.29.2007 12:16 am

Hi. I have been reading the Japanese fairy tale books with Hiragana only. And was wondering if there was another type of book just above that with Kanji and Furigana, similiar to Manga but without the slang?

I only know about 80 kanji so I wanted to find a way to learn more in practice. Flashcards can only do so much...

Thanks!
Last edited by Jei-kyon on Tue 05.29.2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
簡単に行かないから生きてゆける。
Because things don't go simply, I can live. -YUI
Jei-kyon

RE: Simple Japanese books with furigana?

Postby saraLynne » Tue 05.29.2007 1:05 am

A textbook which slowly introduces kanji in context is probably your best bet. Genki is known for being good at this.
saraLynne

Postby Jei-kyon » Wed 05.30.2007 1:27 am

Looks good. Apparently they sell them on Amazon.co.jp. Interesting navigating, but I found it, lol. I like what I have seen so far. Thanks! :D
簡単に行かないから生きてゆける。
Because things don't go simply, I can live. -YUI
Jei-kyon

Postby Koryo » Mon 07.09.2007 1:36 pm

I just bought Ashby's Read Real Japanese: All You Need to Enjoy Eight Contemporary Writers and Murray's Breaking into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text. While the text contained therein is a fair jump from かぐや姫 and ももたろう, I'm finding them quite useful and understandable. Do note that most kanji in both books do not have furigana; only ones with less common readings do. However, all the readings are glossed in かな in Murray and ローマ字 in Ashby.

Amazon.com has a number of sample pages that are viewable, and I'd recommend taking a look at them to get an idea of the level of the text.

While this is just a collection of more fairy tales, you may find a bit of useful material at Old Stories of Japan(日本昔ばなし英訳版・日本語訳・わらべ歌・子守歌). There isn't any furigana, but since it's all online, rikaichan can be used for that.

Also, don't forget to check out Richard VanHouten's ゆきの物語. He has versions with and without furigana.
Koryo

Native language: English

Re: Simple Japanese books with furigana?

Postby clay » Thu 12.18.2008 3:49 pm

The Breaking and Exploring Japanese Literature books are great, but they are better for intermediates. If you know about 80 kanji, I'd suggest the Graded Readers series. We are out of stock of the first level, but we have some of the second level which is probably where the OP is at right now.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.18.2008 4:18 pm

clay wrote:The Breaking and Exploring Japanese Literature books are great, but they are better for intermediates. If you know about 80 kanji, I'd suggest the Graded Readers series. We are out of stock of the first level, but we have some of the second level which is probably where the OP is at right now.

Clay, what would you rank each level of Graded REaders series compared to the JLPT levels? I'm curious, as friend of mine is looking to jump in and he's an advanced JLPT 4 and a beginner JLPT 3. (in other words comfortable with 4 and not so comfortable with 3..
two_heads_talking

Postby clay » Thu 12.18.2008 5:41 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Clay, what would you rank each level of Graded REaders series compared to the JLPT levels? I'm curious, as friend of mine is looking to jump in and he's an advanced JLPT 4 and a beginner JLPT 3. (in other words comfortable with 4 and not so comfortable with 3..

I'm not really sure. I think I wrote the grading schedule the publishers followed on the product pages (x number of words and x number of kanji). But Level 1 is great even for those who have just learned hiragana. Levels 2 and 3 would probably be in the beginner to upper beginner range and I think intermediates would find Level 4 challenging.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby LightSamurai » Mon 04.08.2013 4:20 am

At first I was also looking for texts with furigana.
But with Rikaichan, furigana and dictionaries become almost unnecessary, you can know the meaning of any expression so quickly.
What's still missing for me is some kind of confirmation that I understood a sentence correctly.
For that, a Japanese text with English transcript would be the best solution.

It's hard to find bilingual material online but not impossible:
somebody probably already talked about Hiragana Times on the forum, their articles are really nice.
I also found http://www.nippontalk.com they have free articles with furigana and transcript.

If you know any other websites, please share!
LightSamurai

Return to History and Literature Discussions