Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Idiot sites not to go to

Idiot sites not to go to

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Idiot sites not to go to

Postby mewarmo990 » Sun 10.15.2006 9:42 pm

LaughingMan wrote:
Japanese teacher?

Point taken.

Also, I have a FreeWebs account that I used to make a website for a little school assignment a while back, so I couldn't resist dropping him a line in his guestbook. Apparently it's filled with blond jokes, and other people with equally low knowledge of Japanese fawning over his "awesome" website.
Jesus said, "Come forth and you shall receive eternal life."
I came third and won a toaster.
mewarmo990

Postby punkgrl326 » Sun 10.15.2006 10:22 pm

Wow. That site is pretty much all romaji. There isn't even a katakana chart

U= Oooo Not Oh,But Oooo :D
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby LustBaka » Tue 05.29.2007 4:12 pm

clay wrote:
Hmmm... Maybe I should change the slogan for this website from 日本語を磨こう to, and I quote from his signature, "every piece of info on it is learning info so shut the hell up"

That makes me want to stop everything I am doing and study Japanese through his site.

I swear thats so funny. Im glad i came upon this, it made my day~!

oh, god i cant stop laughi n!!! :p :D
LustBaka

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.29.2007 4:19 pm

I wasn't going to necropost, but since someone else already has...

I checked out the website. The kid never even completed the hiragana chart. I think the reaction he got on the other forum made him give it up. Obviously, however, he didn't take it down.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.29.2007 7:32 pm

My favorite part is some of those "definitions" in the dictionary with the example sentences:

Ambition - (You Need To Have Ambition!) - Yabou
Art - (This Is The Art Of Jujitsu) - Geijutsu
Band - (Are You In The Band?) - Kizuna
Hope - (I Hope I Will Win The Race) - Kibou
Ideal - (That Is Ideal) - Risou
Love - (I Love Sports!) - Ai
Silence - (Silence!) - Chinmoku
Toast - (You Are Toast!) - Kanpai

And yeah, Lustbaka, don't necropost in the future. Is there something in the rules about this?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Tue 05.29.2007 9:49 pm

Toast - (You Are Toast!) - Kanpai

I think I just hurt something.... :D

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby soranoraito » Fri 06.22.2007 8:25 pm

I feel sad for the actual hopeful learners that come across his site...
Not to be mean, but his site honestly has very little [if really anything] to offer and more than half of it is incorrect :o
:|you can't really learn anything from it besides [wrong] vocabulary
...it's as simple as that.
soranoraito

Postby Hatori » Fri 06.22.2007 10:37 pm

我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Xurma » Wed 07.04.2007 6:34 am

Thank you opener, this made my day. :D

But seriously... That site just has too many BS and how even the creator dares to deceive poor japanese learners with trash like that. :o

But this site... http://www.loveofanime.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22
"A popular form of 'Americanized' Japanese called Romanized Japanese has been used in the U.S. in order to make it easier and faster to learn the spoken language. Romanized Japanese enables one to learn the spoken language without knowing the written format ( i.e. memorizing all of the written characters). This is the method that is utilized by this page, since a lot of people don't have the Asian fonts installed and active.

So that's the excuse? :)

That site and the other site are both so pathetic, it's just stupid to learn and teach all the vocabulary from anime.

Everyone who leads enthusiastic Japanese learners to heresy, should be put into an oven and baked. :)
Xurma

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Thu 08.02.2007 1:21 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Band - (Are You In The Band?) - Kizuna

XD WHOO so funny.
doesn't "kizuna" mean bonds? i think from an cafe's single...
AkiKaza-chan

Postby Nucks » Tue 08.21.2007 9:11 pm

Thank God i found this site first!
Hiragana 36/46

Katakana 2/46 Making Progress! @_@
Nucks

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 08.23.2007 12:28 pm

d00d guyz thats my brother back off!
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby kayuu » Thu 08.23.2007 1:20 pm

Xurma wrote:
But this site... http://www.loveofanime.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22
"A popular form of 'Americanized' Japanese called Romanized Japanese has been used in the U.S. in order to make it easier and faster to learn the spoken language. Romanized Japanese enables one to learn the spoken language without knowing the written format ( i.e. memorizing all of the written characters). This is the method that is utilized by this page, since a lot of people don't have the Asian fonts installed and active."

<sarcasm>Because, of course, the Roman alphabet and phoenetics wasn't invented by the ancient Europeans at all, it's a completely American thing. They only use it in America, and they use it all the time - because it's so much easier to converse with the Japanese and read Japanese manga and play Japanese import games by learning romaji.</sarcasm>

I think not.

The earliest Japanese romanization system was based on the orthography of Portuguese. It was developed around 1548 by a Japanese Catholic named Yajiro. Jesuit presses used the system in a series of printed Catholic books so that missionaries could preach and teach their converts without learning to read Japanese ideographs. The most useful of these books for the study of early modern Japanese pronunciation and early attempts at romanization was the Nippo jisho, a Japanese-Portuguese dictionary written in 1603.

I find it much, much easier to write kana - I often struggle communicating with a Japanese student I know ingame on World of Warcraft because unicode isn't supported. This is why they failed in converting Japanese to roman characters once (Meiji era), and failed again after WWII (I think) for the same reasons:

In the Meiji era, some Japanese scholars advocated abolishing the Japanese writing system entirely and using rōmaji in its stead. The Nihon shiki romanization was an outgrowth of this movement. Several Japanese texts were published entirely in rōmaji during this period, but it failed to catch on, perhaps because of the large number of homophones in Japanese, which are pronounced similarly but written in different characters.

The only reason I can see romaji in any way being useful is if you only ever intended to speak the language and never read or write it.

/rant
Last edited by kayuu on Thu 08.23.2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby gollybype » Thu 08.23.2007 9:16 pm

i just dunno what's going on...lol...just wanna dropped by...hhehe :D :D :) ;) :p
I HATE TOO FORMAL PEOPLE... AS IF THEY WERE REALLY THAT SMART!!!....DUH~~~
gollybype

Previous

Return to General off topic