Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby dinkot » Mon 05.07.2007 2:08 am

let's face it, ..like it or not,
there're just SO MANY cool/great things about this country, that makes MOST of my US, Chinese, & Indonesian friends all 'dream' to go there!
And it's furthermore strengthened by the fact that some gaijins (foreigners) who've lived long enough in Japan actually said a resounding YES! , that Japan is really such a cool place ....sometimes 'unexplainable' in words WHY is that!
it's just the 'atmosphere' is NICE!

I can safely say then, that even if I have to also struggle daily with a job in Japan, with all those heavy-workhours & loads people often mentioning about,...heck, I would still trade ANYthing so I can live there! ...rather here in Indonesia (my home-country), 'cuz honestly, it sucks ! :/
for INFP person like me, Japan seems like a perfect place...
dinkot

RE: I love Japan

Postby tomu99 » Thu 05.10.2007 6:46 am

I love Japan because of its culture and people. I have a passion for Japan, I've been learning the language since I was 15. I wanna live there. Which I will, I plan to teach English as a foreign language there. :D
tomu99

Postby ilovejapanese » Sun 05.13.2007 7:49 pm

i wanted to learn japanese probably becuz of the culture, anime/manga and i just love the way it's written and the way it's spoken. however, i speak english as my first language (i'm studying spanish in school, there is no japanese course there( ) and i find that learning the hiragana alphabet was difficult at first. mainly becuz the characters act as sounds, not letters like in english. i suppose that threw me off alot. but i find that spelling romanji in hiragana is extremely easy and it ws much easier than learning all of those "hidden letters" in english, or words that are pronounced the same but spelt differently. i hope to have hiragana sown pat in a few days (i've been studying my butt off for hours trying t memorize hiragana, and my family thinks i'm crazy, but w/e :D )
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(=\'.\'=) bunny into your signature to help
(\")_(\") him gain world domination.
ilovejapanese

Postby angeljoanes » Sun 05.13.2007 9:33 pm

Well, for me, I was planning about moving to Japan and applying to become Japanese citizen. I already have some families there. (although I hear it's very hard to apply to become Japanese citizen). ;)
Dream of a lost soul is to be found
angeljoanes

Postby TokyoRoze » Mon 05.21.2007 9:58 am

Im glad my thread is still doing quite well. I want to re-learn japanese because I will be going into game development. And it would help alot to know japanese if I commute between japan and california.
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80
TokyoRoze

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.28.2007 10:34 pm

I am just posting to get you-know-who's extra long name off the Super Thread View. It's messing up the page layout.

However, to keep it on topic I gave my reason here in A Proper Introduction.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby michaelarda » Wed 05.30.2007 7:16 am

I am interesting Because ; I love Japan , Japanese...I love its culture , People , Cooks....
What can ı say more ?

I love . so I am interesting... !!!
[center]== http://www.michaelarda.tr.cx ==[/center]
michaelarda

Postby geishagirl » Thu 05.31.2007 5:42 am

I guess it all started off with Japanese Drama. I simply love the gentle language! :)
[center]Image[/center]
geishagirl

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 05.31.2007 6:20 pm

My dad got us stationed in Okinawa my last 2 years of high school.
it was different
i finally fit in
i loved the times i had there
goal was to go to college and go back
didn't want to teach english so that was a bit difficult
never forgot what i learned
studied on my own for a long time coz the college courses were pretty bad

took a few years off eventually just because it was proving so hard to get back there
almost settled down and married a girl who was anti-anything japanese
then she ran off with some young kid barely out of college

hurt like heck but probably the best thing that ever happened to me
threw myself back into japanese studies
joined an okinawan eisa drumming troop
even went back to okinawa for the first time in 10 years (vacation, not to live)

my vacation was weird.
it was sad seeing how much okinawa had changed, how much of what i loved about it was lost, but i'm still plugging away.

Starting with JLPT this year.
going for 4 first eventhough i can pretty easily pass 3.
want to make sure i ace at each level & be ready for 2 in 2 more years.

not 100% sure why i still do it.
at one point i figured it was all i had left.
most of the time i think it's too much a part of me to just stop doing altogether.
hanging out with my okinawan friends is the closest thing i ever feel to having a tight group of friends & family, so I guess I kinda do it for that.

Never spent any significant time in mainland japan, though maybe someday if American-Okinawan relations keep deteriorating.

would love to hear from anybody who's got any experience with Okinawa.
it's a great place if you venture out offbase. :)

planning on going back August of 2008 for Orion Beer Fest and the big Eisa Taiki.
Pork Chop

Postby akastevie » Thu 05.31.2007 8:49 pm

I'm learning Japanese because... well... Japan has Playstation, and all that other gaming goodness, and to understand anime without reading the subtitles... (sometimes I look away to check on something and I miss the subtitles, chikushou...) after I tried learning, like everyone else, I liked it more and more with each passing day, also, I'm Vietnamese so I guess I'd fit in (points to eyes, showing the Asian trait) :)

Now, I'm determined to learn Japanese to the fullest extent, and live in Japan someday, to step foot in Japan... someday... funny how small things can turn out big, isn't it?
akastevie

Postby Cypher » Sat 06.02.2007 12:35 am

konbanwa there are many reasons why I want to learn nihongo but the biggest reason is that it is something that I have wanted to do for years. :D
Cypher

Postby tsp_uk » Sun 06.03.2007 5:19 pm

Hmm my parents come from HK and I am interested in cultures/countries within Asia. As well since so many people say Japanese is difficult, I wanted a challenge.
tsp_uk

Postby Xurma » Tue 06.12.2007 7:11 am

Because of japanese script and kanji :D they look so cool so i want to be able to read japanese, and japanese culture is great too :) <3
Last edited by Xurma on Tue 06.12.2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby benny » Tue 06.12.2007 10:58 pm

Am travelling there in September. It's always a good idea to know at least some of the local lingo. Studied it in high school too, so not a total newbie to it.
benny

Postby Amethyst » Wed 06.13.2007 6:46 am

I find Japanese to be such a beautiful language.
Amethyst

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion