Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Saddest Anime Ever?

Saddest Anime Ever?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Saddest Anime Ever?

Postby Frumious Boojum » Mon 05.07.2007 10:21 am

Seapony wrote:
Well, I've never seen Grave of the Fireflies, so that doesn't qualify as the saddest in my book...yet. When I was a kid (dating myself here) there were two anime movies made based on a little unicorn called (aptly enough) Unico.

I always thought it was sad that in the end, he always ended up alone and could never stay with the friends he made. Sort of ironic considering his special ability was to create harmony or joy or something like that. So that one gets my vote.

:)

I must thank you.... I've been trying to remember what the name of those movies were for quite a while. I must hunt down a copy of Unico now.

As I remember (it's been 20 years or more since I've seen it), Unico was much more of a really dark movie than a sad film (especially the second film)...
Frumious Boojum

Postby carlanox » Mon 05.07.2007 11:26 am

Juuni Kokki!!! It's the most saddest and really touch my deepest heart because of the character development. I agree Air to is the second on my list. Hisikawa Aya played both Juuni Kokki and Air too...
carlanox

Postby Kenji777 » Mon 05.07.2007 12:30 pm

Rurouni Kenshin Ova 5-6 are my most saddest ever.(those 2 ova arent worth watching unless u watched Rurouni Kenshin ova 1-4 and the series.

but at Ova 6 i even felt like crying but i manage to hold it and got an sore throat and i'm an dude that rarely cry
Kenji777

Postby Hijiku » Tue 05.08.2007 12:14 pm

My current date wants me to say Love Hina, but hes kind of a total wimp, as steriotypical as a gay boy can get! and yet... i cant help but love him.. :) *dreamy sigh*
your life is meaningless, like a glow-stick.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny!!
(")_(")
Hijiku

Postby Animelover030492 » Sun 05.13.2007 1:08 pm

I've seen a lot of sad anime shows! makes me so depressed :( ! i thought Air was one of the most saddest i have ever seen! I would recommend it to everyone!!!!
Danielle Eastwood
Animelover030492

Postby john2 » Sun 05.13.2007 2:13 pm

Grave of fire fly got to be the sadest anime. Not a tear jerker, hmm Havent seen a sader one.
(^^)…… as of that… naruto tear jerker nah, let me see. o0 which do you find sad?
john2

Postby Hatori » Sun 05.13.2007 9:53 pm

Nana and Neon Genesis Evangelion. OH! Also Haibane Renmei and the movie Millenium Actress. I've cried for all of these... lol.

Didn't I post a thread VERY SIMILAR to these a few threads below this??
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Ranma » Fri 06.01.2007 12:38 pm

Marohoromatic....second to last episode.
Ranma

Native language: English

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Fri 06.01.2007 1:21 pm

as much as i'm an anime addict.. i don't get to see too many. Right now probably Full Metal Alchemist, becuase they kill everyone (my kinda show lol) but i mass the little girl Nina... >.<
fruits basket is my fav. now, and the manga is getting pretty emotional. It's awesome! <3
-Ai

XzoeiscuteXx

Postby Kashin » Fri 06.01.2007 4:11 pm

I would say Graves of the Fireflies too. Not so much as a cry teary movie, but really it gets to your emotions. I also like how it offers the rare glimpse (at least in America) into the Japanese struggles during WWII. Just shows you we are all human and we're all brothers..."Letters from Iwo Jima" had the same effect on me.

Anyway back on topic I'll have to agree with Kenji777 the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OVAs were something else.

Then again I haven't seen too many Anime that aren't already on American TV so I'm sure I'm missing out on some that haven't made it over yet.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby paulrowe » Fri 06.01.2007 6:25 pm

Ranma wrote:
Marohoromatic....second to last episode.

I expect you're talking about Something More Beautiful? I really loved the ending of that series for its emotional impact. The last episode was a great follow-up to it, too.

XzoeiscuteXx wrote:
fruits basket is my fav. now, and the manga is getting pretty emotional. It's awesome!

I've not read the manga yet. I've got the first two volumes in Japanese, but I've watched the series a few times. Fruits Basket builds up the emotional impact quite a bit before releasing it, where it hits more suddenly in Mahoromatic.
Paul Rowe
paulrowe

Postby punkgrl326 » Fri 06.01.2007 6:38 pm

I'd say the saddest anime I've ever watched was Fruits Basket. If not that then Full Metal Alchemist.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Sat 06.02.2007 10:03 pm

I don't know if it would be counted as anime but it's Japanese so...Any way, It's called Cat Soup. It's not only sad at the end, but it's also kinda scary...I don't really know how to explain it. I guess it's scary in a BoogiePop Phantom kind if way, if any one has actually seen it. This is kind of the look you'll have after watching it -> :o
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.02.2007 11:37 pm

boogiepop phantom was a mystery thriller, I think it is a lot like serial experiments lain?
SirFirestorm

Postby yukamina » Tue 06.05.2007 2:33 am

Heh, Grave of the Fireflies for me too. I was bawling after watching it...ended up watching it twice in one night, which gave me a head ache >_<
Never heard of Air TV.

Also, Gankutsuo has a part that really had me crying...almost as bad as GotF.
Lots of animes have sad parts that make me tear up, but for those two I was really crying ^_^;;
yukamina

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions