Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trick

Trick

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Trick

Postby yankumi » Fri 09.02.2005 8:23 pm

Not anime or manga, but there isn't a forum for television shows

I am using this website

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... 77ec009672

to download episodes of Trick

http://www.jdorama.com/drama.521.htm

It's very good. Yamada Naoko is an accomplished magician who gets fired from her job for not being flashy enough. She responds to an ad placed by physicist Ueda Jiro, challenging anyone to provide him with proof of supernatural ability, and he will pay 300,000 yen. She is able to successfully convince him with a magic trick, he responds by telling her she will get her money if she investigates a mountain retreat run by "Big Mother"--a woman who is supposed to be able to read minds, an ability that has attracted a number of followers. Jiro had already been to investigate, and was told by Big Mother he would die in 10 days. He scoffed, but has several times seen Big Mother, appearing to float in space and continuing to threaten him.

This appears to be the general premise of the series--the two go to investigate some paranormal event, and Yamada succeeds in exposing the magician's trick behind the whole thing. It's been compared to the X-Files, but it also has some Twin Peaks overtones to it. Can't wait to watch the next episode and find out what happens!
yankumi

RE: Trick

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.02.2005 9:14 pm

It's a very popular series in Japan. Or it was before it ended. I *believe* they also had a movie, but I can't remember. There was a series of books.

I could never get into it for some reason. It was a very bizzare show, and I just couldn't get into the feel of it. Maybe I'll try some more later, I only watched the first two DVDs.

If you like twin peaks though, I can definately see getting into it.

Btw, what did you think of the flies with the faces on them? I loved those things.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yankumi » Sat 09.03.2005 5:16 pm

another forum mentioned the flies, but I haven't spotted any. Are they always in the episodes, or only certain ones?

I actually never did watch Twin Peaks as it was popular at a time when I didn't own a television, and then the one I had could only get two stations. While it does have some weird things in it that don't seem to have anything to do with the story, so far the plot line seems to be following a logical sequence and several things have been explained. Tonight I will watch the third episode which resolves everything so far, I'll see how satisfying it is.

I also was a bit surprised at some of the dialogue, while fairly tame it did seem unlikely you would hear such conversation on American television, such as the running bit about Yamada's flat breats, and another conversation where she tells Ueda she understands he is uncomfortable about being so big, he becomes indignant, remembers how he got out of the shower wearing a towel and got dressed in the corner of the room while she had her back to him, accuses her of peeking and insists many men like being big. She retorts "I was talking about your height". And it certainly didn't bother me, it was funny and entertaining--just rather a surprise.
yankumi

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 09.03.2005 9:32 pm

the breast thing was hillarious. Didn't they keep calling her Yamada of the flat breasts or something like that? Hmm, maybe I should go rent some more today... You've put me in a mood to try and watch it again.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yankumi » Sun 09.04.2005 12:27 am

oh, the joke just went on and on. A woman at the retreat stopped her and said she shouldn't worry, once she had a baby they would get big. Another man told her she should just keep the lights out the first time. It got to the point that I was getting annoyed;)
yankumi

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions