Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Postby Keiriichan » Fri 06.08.2007 4:41 pm

I'm not asking for "Hello Kitty" or anything like that... it's just my Mom has this idea that all anime is either voilent or extremely suggestive. I've been looking for an anime series that's not like that... any suggestions? I'm 13 and my 10-year-old sister likes anime too, but so far we can't find anything that my Mom will allow (That isn't either "Hamtaro" or "Hello Kitty") lol!

We're kind of leaning toward "Fruits Basket", though aren't completely sure... I think it's rated 13, isn't it? If there are any comments or about this show, I'd like to know as well. :)

Thanks in advance for any answers\suggestions! :D
Keiriichan

RE: Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Postby paulrowe » Fri 06.08.2007 4:55 pm

I wouldn't recommend Fruits Basket for children, though it does lack the violence your mom has glazed anime over with. Fruits Basket has some complexities that make it difficult for younger teenagers to understand properly.

Most of the anime produced by Studio Ghibli (and released here in the States by Disney) would be considered kid-appropriate. Titles include "The Cat Returns", "Castle in the Sky", "Whisper of the Heart", "Spirited Away", "Porco Rosso", "Pom Poko" (borderline), "Howl's Moving Castle", "My Neighbor Totoro", and "Grave of the Fireflies".

Don't watch "Grave of the Fireflies" if you're interested in an uplifting movie. "Grave of the Fireflies" was produced about the same time as "My Neighbor Totoro". They are set at the same period in time, but "My Neighbor Totoro" is an uplifting film while "Grave of the Fireflies" covers the darker side of life.

Other than that, only the anime that is designed for children tends to be child-appropriate. It exists, but Americans tend to be more interested in the more adult-oriented anime because there's a plenitude of child-appropriate animation already available and produced in the States.

Of the anime that I've seen, I would only consider Slayers, and maybe Tenchi (though it has some brief violence and "fuzzy" nudity), to be child-appropriate and yet reasonably entertaining for adults. I haven't seen a lot of child-appropriate anime, so someone else would be better suited to give you more recommendations.
Last edited by paulrowe on Fri 06.08.2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Rowe
paulrowe

Postby Kashin » Fri 06.08.2007 5:00 pm

I've never really got into Fruits Basket. But all the girls I know who watch anime really like it.

I've always loved Pokemon. I'm 19 and I still record and watch it every day. I don't know if your mom would have problems with all the "fighting" and "evolving" even though it really is harmless...and kindof stupid.

Hmm...if you're looking for a more mature kids anime, might I suggest some of the Shojo Beat or Shonen Jump shows? There's alot of them on Cartoon Network. They're kindof teen-older teen so your sister may still be a little young.

If you're interested in some amazing "kid friendly" anime movies, watch Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" or "Howls Moving Castle." For kids (especially young girls) I would highly highly reccomend "My Neighbor Totoro" they're great movies. Granted they are fantasy, I think it'd be okay to watch.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Keiriichan » Fri 06.08.2007 5:02 pm

I've heard about "My neighbor Totoro", it does sound cute. lol! :) Thanks for the recommendations!
Keiriichan

Postby Xaith » Fri 06.08.2007 5:33 pm

I am not speaking from experience, because I have only seen one or two episodes, but "Prince of Tennis" seems fairly innocent and according to ANN it is for all ages.
Last edited by Xaith on Fri 06.08.2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby LunaticHigh » Fri 06.08.2007 5:47 pm

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
LunaticHigh

Postby Xaith » Fri 06.08.2007 5:59 pm

"Higurashi no Naku Koroni" is violent, I believe. You may want to avoid it.
Last edited by Xaith on Fri 06.08.2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.08.2007 6:03 pm

fruits basket should be fine.
fushigi yuugi is also good, although there is violence it's for teens, maybe be careful with this one around your mom. His and Her circumstance is a shoujo romance comedy, if you can find it, it would be perfect for your age group. FLCL is also a good lighthearted comedy little bit of cartoon violence well within pg13 standards though. Although I havent seen it myself something like Ouran high host club would probably fit your tastes too.

The shonen jump type shows on toonami are aimed at kids, although leaning more towards boys, you might enjoy it. Prince of tennis many girls enjoy and its about tennis =P so yea...
SirFirestorm

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 06.08.2007 9:36 pm

first question, where does your mom get her ideas about anime? this is not a snarky question, is she watching Cartoon Network and maybe catching some Naruto or Inuyasha? it is true that most of the anime that makes it to TV is just a bit on the violent side.

second question, where do you plan to get your anime? buying in stores can be expensive, and most DVD rental places don't carry the good stuff... maybe Netflix?

third and final question, what does your mom consider violent? could you watch a 'cop' TV show where there's the occasional gunfight with the bad guy? or maybe a series that takes place during wartime... where there is an occasional battle, but the main characters aren't that involved in the fighting. is your Mom just against the gratuitous violence like Naruto or Inuyasha where every episode is some sort of battle with knives and guns and blood?

otherwise, there are plenty of wholesome decent anime out there, some suitable for 10-13 year olds. (but a bit more anime suitable for say 14-15 year olds :) ).

maybe have your Mom check out the reviews on Amazon.com for some totally non-violent, not very suggestive at all anime...

"Strawberry Marshmallow" -- in the American version, the older sister is College aged, she smokes and drinks. that is the most 'bad' thing about the entire series. the main characters are around 10-12 years old, little girls doing everyday life stuff with lot's of *funny* thrown in. if my niece wasn't like 4 years old i would totally buy this for her. perfect comedy series for young girls.
(in the Japanese version the older sister is only 16 and a High School student who smokes and drinks...)

"Azumanga Daioh" -- the High School version of Strawberry Marshmallow... 5 or 6 girls and their teachers going about everyday life in a very funny way. mild violence (hitting people over the head with a book or snowball fight type violence). the series follows them through High School life with a bunch of Japanese Culture events mixed in.

you can maybe find some YouTube clips of these anime to show your Mom. warning... most of the videos on YouTube are "Anime Music Videos" and some might seem more violent or suggestive than the actual anime because people have picked the violent or suggestive parts from the entire series and put them all into one single video... but if you look hard enough you will find a few actual episodes... show them to your Mom. :)

YouTube for 'Ichigo Mashimaro' (the Japanese name for Strawberry Marshmallow).
YouTube for Azumanga Daioh.

YouTube for 'Aria the Natural'. i wish this were licensed and available in the U.S., Aria is the most totally non-violent, non-suggestive, totally relaxing "girlie" anime in existance. i hope it's available when my niece is old enough to enjoy it.

only slightly more adult, (you might like them, but your little sister probably wouldn't), and slightly more violent (maybe there is a war going on, or the heroines are being chased by the bad-guys and have to fight occasionally, but not really blood and guts type of violent)... but still really good 'girl-power' or 'teenager-power' types of anime..

"R.O.D. the TV" -- Read or Die.. three girls (ok, two are women but the third is a young teenager), have the magical ability to use plain old paper as weapons or as a defense. they are on a mission to solve a mystery (just like Nancy Drew). lot's of heartbreaking bring tears to you eyes moments. girl-power to the max.

"Last Exile" -- a teenage boy and girl who fly messages back and forth like the Pony Express are caught up in a war while they attempt to protect a little girl who holds the key to the planets future. fantastic animation, fantastic music, fantastic story....

all of these (except for 'Aria the Natural') are available from Netflix. hence the second question... you won't find them at the corner DVD store... you can buy them from Amazon or maybe BestBuy or whatever other store carries Anime DVDs, or you can rent them from Netflix.

find a couple of the YouTube versions and let your Mom watch. have her read some of the reviews on Amazon. there is a ton of anime out there that is not the normal violent, suggestive stuff that makes its way to televison.

this is just the stuff that hits my 10~13 year old radar, for maybe 16 years old or so there is more stuff that might or might not be interesting depending on your tastes...

"Planetes" -- life in space cleaning up junk. some bad language here and there and maybe a fight or two...

not yet available in the U.S., "Mushishi" -- bizarre, sorta like X-Files. no violence, no suggestiveness, but freaky and weird and sometimes people die. main character guy studies a bizarre form of life that is between say rocks and insects... sometimes people go blind, sometimes they go deaf, sometimes they find themselves lost in the woods forever.... beautiful animation, nice soundtrack, very spooky... will leave you with a chill up your spine after watching... but no real violence....

anyways, there are plenty of anime that aren't based on violence and panty-shots... but some of them are still a bit more adult themed... when you reach 16 or so, there is a lot of anime that is equal to a U.S. TV mini-series... 13 or 26 half hour episodes that tell a full story that is not full of gratuitous violence or suggestive images...
zengargoyle

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.08.2007 11:21 pm

I forgot ichigo mashimaro! :o that is a really great lighthearted comedy series! but zen im pretty sure the older sister is age 20 in the japanese version, it's the only one I watched.

Azumanga is very good too but some of the comedy is japanese cultural jokes, other than that no violence and a great series.
SirFirestorm

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.08.2007 11:54 pm

I've heard about "My neighbor Totoro", it does sound cute.

I'm 46. And I *love* Tonari no Totoro. Absolutely.

I think I owe my life to that film.

I saw it when it was first released in the theatres on a double bill with Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies). Hotaru was shown first, and by the time it was over I wanted to go slit my wrists and swallow a bottle of sleeping pills. It was THAT depressing.

Then Totoro started.

Thank GOD.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby witega » Sat 06.09.2007 12:10 am

'Fruits Basket' was created specifically for junior hight girls and should be perfect for you and your sister. In fact, having watched it with my daughters when they were 11 and 13, I would highly recommend that you get your mom to watch it with you.

I'll toss in another vote for anything Ghibli.

A few other anime made for the junior high girl audience and available here which should pass any 'sex and violence' standards of your mom's would be Super Gals, Pretear, Princes Tutu, Marmalade Boy, Petite Princess Yucie and Cardcaptor Sakura (the uncut version, not the chopped-up dub which makes little sense). All of those were big favorites with my daughters.
witega

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 06.09.2007 1:25 am

SirFirestorm wrote:
I forgot ichigo mashimaro! :o that is a really great lighthearted comedy series! but zen im pretty sure the older sister is age 20 in the japanese version, it's the only one I watched.

maybe you have to read the manga also... it starts out with her going through the College student spiel, then she says something like "that's a lie, i'm 16" and there are a few pages in the manga where she is in her High School like classes... but yeah, even the Japanese anime version is a bit sketchy on just how old the older sister is. but not matter, she does smoke and drink a lot.... i would have thought that the U.S. version would change the cigarettes to Poky and the Beer to some random soft-drink and presto an older sister who is addicted to candy and soda... i was sorta surprised to see that they went to the 20 year old older sister and kept the smokes and booze... but still, other than that, Ichico Mashimaro is perfect 10-13 year old girl anime. and it's totally full of *laughs*.

Azumanga is very good too but some of the comedy is japanese cultural jokes, other than that no violence and a great series.

check. i think that is part of what makes it such a good anime for people interested in studying Japanese language/culture. it's like the Japanese animated version of Beverly Hills 90210. but better :) there are the Sports Days, the Festival Days, the Summer Vacation Days (including smashing the melon), and the senior year Field Trip Days. there's a boatload of culture in Azumanga.

also, i N'th the Miyazake / Studio Ghibli movies. they are almost all perfect movies for all ages (especially little girls). except some are a bit above the 10-13 age range, maybe 15 years old is good. Porco Rosso takes place in the Mediterranean area sometime before WWII, there are air plane fights in the sky and a full on 5 minute or so fist fight towards the end. while it totally fits in the movie, and it's a great movie in the end, it's not a 10-13 year old girl movie. same with Princess Mononoke, a fabulous award winning movie but there are a lot of guns and fighting, and the hero shoots arrows from his bow that chop off the arms of his antagonists. still a great movie based on the point in time where machinery and weapons threaten the old natural world, but probably a bit better for slightly older audiences (especially if Mom is worried about violence). Whispers of the Heart is also a great movie, but still a little more towards the teenage years. but Torotoro and The Cat Returns and Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away and Pom Poko are fantastic perfect for 10-13 year olds movies.
zengargoyle

Postby Kashin » Sat 06.09.2007 4:10 am

zengargoyle wrote:
Torotoro and The Cat Returns and Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away and Pom Poko are fantastic perfect for 10-13 year olds movies.

And perfect for guys like me and Toni-san :D
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 06.09.2007 10:42 am

Daa daa daa is a very charming kid's anime. There's episodes on YouTube.

Pom Poko

Her mom would flip.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions