Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Virginians on TJP

Virginians on TJP

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Virginians on TJP

Postby Gan » Sun 06.10.2007 9:23 pm

One thing that I have noticed about this site is that quite a few of it's members are from Virginia, unless I am just picking out the select few of the names that I see who's destination happens to be there. If that is not so, I would like to ask why so many virginians come to this site, and if it is because it is the one way to truly get somewhere with Japanese in Virginia or otherwise.

I would also like to have this theard discuss places where virginians came meet up and study or just share views or stories about Virginia.

IF this theard is Racist of Location, please take the liberty to lock it.

ありがとうございます。
Gan

Native language: English

RE: Virginians on TJP

Postby Groccoli » Sun 06.10.2007 9:32 pm

It looks like "Virginia is for Japanese lovers." (don't take that wrong! It's the state motto!) Holy cow, you're only in Roanoke? You're pretty darn close to me!
Groccoli

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 06.10.2007 10:02 pm

"Don't tread on me" state represent! i have to claim a bit of exemption, i left Virginia in 1987 and rarely ever go back if at all possible.... but born and raised in Bristol, down on the Virginia/Tennessee border, birthplace of country music...

don't know where Japanese fits into all of this....
zengargoyle

Postby Groccoli » Sun 06.10.2007 10:09 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
i left Virginia in 1987 and rarely ever go back if at all possible....

:@ What's so terrible about it? I like it here, personally. Peaceful, quiet, boring... OK, so being in the boonies isn't the funnest thing in the world. Point gotten.

The Japanese fits in here because it's amazing how many people are from there on this forum. I feel so special.

I'm actually closer to Bristol than to Roanoke. (I think. It's MapQuest time! Doo-de-doo!)
Last edited by Groccoli on Sun 06.10.2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groccoli

Postby AJBryant » Sun 06.10.2007 10:55 pm

I'm a history junkie. I love Virginia. :)

AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby furin » Sun 06.10.2007 11:21 pm

♪Misty taste of moonshine teardrops in my eye  :D

edit: ♪a hundred post, of my own
Last edited by furin on Sun 06.10.2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furin

Postby Infidel » Sun 06.10.2007 11:27 pm

Dude, that was so funny I had to show my co-worker.

Well, I didn't find TJP until after I moved to Virginia, but I was into Japan and the language long before.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 06.11.2007 12:14 am

You know, I noticed that there were quite a few Virginians here as well. Never thought to bring it up though *shrugs*

Woo, military parents!
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.11.2007 2:49 am

Dude, that was so funny I had to show my co-worker.

There was a Photoshop thread once in the Something Awful forum where we were asked to make "tourism posters that you will never see for the place you're from" -- a lot of them were of the "there is nothing here" variety.

I made that one for Virginia. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby lemonaid » Mon 06.11.2007 2:50 am

I have family all over Virginia (Covington, Springfield, Richmond) and spend a lot of time there. I've probably visited all the historical sites. Going back there this summer I believe :)
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby HeyItsMatt » Mon 06.11.2007 3:57 am

I also noticed the Virginia-centric forum locations, but I never gave it much thought. I've lived in Virginia for about 10 years now. I guess I've never really identified myself by the state I live in, though... it just kind of happens to be the place where I live. Heck, I usually don't consciously think of myself as an "American" even though I'm sure that plays a large role in defining me whether I want it to or not.

Also, funny picture Tony. Somehow I'm surprised that you are on the Something Awful forums... don't ask me why though, I don't know. I've only visited the site a few times myself. I must have some kind of subliminal stereotype in my head of SA users :)
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.11.2007 11:01 am

I used to have a high opinion of Virginia, especially with Richmond having been our nation's capital and all that. But then I had to pass through there quite often as a truck driver and my opinion of Virginia has suffered greatly as a result.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.11.2007 11:04 am

Somehow I'm surprised that you are on the Something Awful forums... don't ask me why though, I don't know. I've only visited the site a few times myself. I must have some kind of subliminal stereotype in my head of SA users

I'm there for Photoshop Phridays. I had two of my pieces in this past Friday ("wrong comic books"), and five of them in a couple of weeks ago on "alternate power sources" and several in "wrong children's books" and so on.

But, yeah. I think the epithet "goon" for SA folk is extremely apt.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 06.11.2007 11:53 am

i was watching a History Channel show the other night about The States, when they came to Virginia they said that the "Virginia is for Lovers" marketing blurb was originally proposed as "Virginia is for History Lovers"...
zengargoyle

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.11.2007 1:36 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
I used to have a high opinion of Virginia, especially with Richmond having been our nation's capital and all that. But then I had to pass through there quite often as a truck driver and my opinion of Virginia has suffered greatly as a result.

the Beltway around DC is the worst place in the world to drive. I-95 and all the other 95's are a huge parking lot most of the time and when traffic is going, it's full of people that just can't quite figure out how to drive. Personally I thinks it's all the diplomats and their kids that cause the problems because they can't read English. And with them having diplomatic immunity they do whatever they want.. (yeah that's a harsh thought, but it's basically true.. sad, but true)

I personally hate the Freeway system. I will drive backroads to avoid the Freeway if I can. IF it takes an extra hour, it's ok with me. besides, all the cool stuff is on the back roads.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to General off topic